Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo and CD printer - which one?

• 08-01-2005 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I'd like to get a printer for printing good quality photos and to print onto cd's as well. Is there such a beast? What's the recommended printer - cartridge cost is obviously a factor.

If not, is there transparent printable stickers for cd's?

Any feedback welcome

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Don't know much about printers, but as far as I know you can get stickers to print on and then stick them on CDs/DVDs. However they are not the best solution. You can get bubbles and if the sticker is on arse ways it can interfere with the disc spinning. Printing onto the CDs/DVDs is the prefered way

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Look at the Epson R200 and the more expensive R300.
    They are photo printers but also print onto CD/DVD direct also. Might not the the quickest print speed but might do the job. The R300 has built in card reader and screen and the R200 does not.

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/39096/art/epson/printer-stylus-photo-r200.html

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/33791/art/epson/printer-stylus-photo-r300.html

Cheers,
    Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

zep wrote:
    Look at the Epson R200 and the more expensive R300.
    They are photo printers but also print onto CD/DVD direct also. Might not the the quickest print speed but might do the job. The R300 has built in card reader and screen and the R200 does not.

The R200 and the R300 are essentially the same printer, as Zep just stated. The R300 has the memory card reader built in, plus the screen - but sometimes the pictures you see on websites are misleading - there's an optional colour screen on the R300, as well as the standard status LCD. All of the ones listed above (PixMania, Amazon and PC World) only come with the standard screen.
    Some sites make it obvious, but alot of the review sites I've read imply that you get both screens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

exactly what im looking at myself

seems the R200 and R300 seem to be the best..im just trying to figure out if i need the extras on thew R300 :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

So, is the cost of running this baby an issue?

SwampThing wrote:
    So, is the cost of running this baby an issue?

Have a look at the THG Review - it does a running cost analysis of the R300 and other similar printers. It works out as being one of the more cost effective printers in the round-up, coming in second only to the Canon Pixma IP4000 and IP5000 in most of the comparisons. The 6 seperate ink tanks are a bonus too... Only problem being that it can sometimes be difficult/impossible to get refilled cartridges for Epson printers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

the r300 is only 149 in shops in dublin, so you might want to pay the extra €7 for the convienience of not waiting!

the cartridges are 17.99 each, it takes black, cyan, magenta and yellow. very decent printer. the cd/dvd thing is very handy!

i shamefully went to pc world today and bought 1

its great! ive printed like...some full A4 posters full of colour and a few proper quality photos and the ink levels are yet to even move (good because i dont like the idea of replacing 6 cartridges even the ebay cheaper ones still work out quite a lot :eek: )

so far so good..and i like the little screen ..havent tried printing on a cd yet coz i dont have any you can print on..its bloody silent and pretty damn quick..and ...lovely! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

cant argue with the price, its a perfect quality photo printer! the cd thing is very cool! The CDs can be expensive tho. and it is a bit harsh if u have to replace all cartridges at once!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

try this for the inks for the R200/R300 printer
    http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/Epson_Stylus_Photo_R300.html

Its only 25.99 Euro for a pack containing all six. Not Epson origs but at that price who cares....
    or for even cheeper, at the bottom of the page that opens, value inks:
    only 12.89 Euro for all six in a bundle.....

Cheers,
    Steve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Viper,

Any more advice seeing as you have one?

Whats the story with CD printing? I heard that they smudge easily - true?

Thanks

sorry i havent been able to try it..ive got so many cds round but none of them can be printed on..but ink on paper and stuff dries quick as hell

Great printer! :D

ViperVenoM wrote:
    sorry i havent been able to try it..ive got so many cds round but none of them can be printed on..but ink on paper and stuff dries quick as hell

Great printer! :D

You can get Verbatim printable DVD-Rs in Maplin this week for about €1.10 each (Box of 10 with jewel cases for €11). Not a brilliant price, but ok if you just want to experiment with a few? before you buy online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Dumble

Hi,
    Has anybody used pixmania before and if so have u had any problems with them? I was planning on buying the ip5000 from them as its a great price and just wanted to check if anyone has used them :)
    Thanks,
    Dumble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I've printed on a few DVD's, and they only smudge when its freshly printed. You have to leave them for a few minutes for it to dry off completely before you start rubbing your finger on the ink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Advertisement