Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

"Windows 2000 Setup cannot copy files"

• 08-01-2005 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

I am trying to install Win2k Pro on a blank Maxtor 40GB HD but keep getting the above error message. I have had a buggy install already on this HD but decided to format and start from scratch.

With this message I get the option to Retry, Skip or exit. Retying does not work and when I skip, I get the same message for every other file, resulting in approx 4% of files being copied in total.

I have tried different CD drives, different cables and different IDE channels, and none seem to be the problem.

Has anyone encountered this before, and/or any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

maybe your hdd is going to dye! that could be your problem! is their any weird scracthing noises coming from you hdd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 optikus-prime

Pharcyde wrote:
    I have tried different CD drives, different cables and different IDE channels, and none seem to be the problem.

Has anyone encountered this before, and/or any suggestions?

Is your cd Genuine? or possibly scratched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Pharcyde

CD is genuine and in good condition as i had just completed an install before this problem, the hard drive is fine , recently formated and no problems.

Further to the fortmat I also re-wrote the boot sector and MBR, but sill no joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 optikus-prime

Have you another hard disk you could try? at least it would rule out the hard disk as you've tried all the other hardware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Have you another hard disk you could try? at least it would rule out the hard disk as you've tried all the other hardware

Is the CD official. The data on it may be corrupted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Infini wrote:
    Is the CD official. The data on it may be corrupted.

Defo a faulty CD or hard drive. Just because you could format the drive doesn't mean that it's 100% fault free.

Suggestions:

1- try making a copy of the CD (if it works, then the CD itself should be fine).
    2- download diagnostics tools from the Maxtor web site and run diagnostics on the drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

I'd go as far as checking your RAM as well...I've seen some of our test machines (which get pretty stressed and thrashed in their short lifetimes!) have similiar symptoms when RAM is at fault...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

Try copying all the i386 files to the hd abd then running, this will eliminate the cd-rom and might work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

don't really know that much about computers, but i remember when i was reinstalling windows after formatting hd i forgot to set up the partition on the drive, so it didnt work properly. have you done all that kind of stuff? apologies if i am completely wrong, but as i said i don't know that much about computers

Finally got hold of a new HDD, and got things working again.

Thanx for the posts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Radix

Yup, I had the very same problem, also with a Maxtor HDD. What you have to do is go to: www.maxtor.com, and download a thing called ''Powermax''. Put it onto a floppy and go into your BIOS and set your computer to boot from floppy. This wrights your HDD to zero's (Low level format). It'll probably take all night, but when it's done, go back to what you wanted to do before and i'll copy all the files this time.
    Hope it works. Radix-D. Collins

Cheers Radix, I'll give that a go!

Advertisement