Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Awards 2004; And the winner is...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

some spoiler tags for those of us who have yet to finish HL2 would be nice, jomanji

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

tman wrote:
    some spoiler tags for those of us who have yet to finish HL2 would be nice, jomanji

Sorry about that tman (and everyone else), I wasn't thinking. I changed it now.

it was only really the last 2 points that i considered spoilers.
    dont worry, assholes on irc have given far worse spoilers than yours :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The GMan whisks you away in the first game too, it's part of the story, it's not finished, there's a sequel on the way.
    Just because the
    Vortigons
    alliance with the rebels wasn't overtly explained, doesn't mean that it can't be pieced together.
    Christ, it's a better game for not making everything crystal clear, there's a bit of mystery in it. That's something that'd make me want to replay it and see if I can notice anything new that perhaps I missed last time while rummaging through crates with my crowbar.

Not flaming you, but you seem to lack the mental faculties neccessary for deduction - like alot of today's ignorant and stupified youth.
    You have my pity if not my endorsement for your way of thinking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In HL3 we find out gordon was dreaming all along.

• Advertisement

SyxPak wrote:

Not flaming you, but you seem to lack the mental faculties neccessary for deduction - like alot of today's ignorant and stupified youth.
    You have my pity if not my endorsement for your way of thinking.

And that's not flaming me?

All I was saying was that HL2 in my opinion does not have a good storyline. When you have to piece together a story yourself, then the storyline isn't good, because it's not the game getting the story across, it's you drawing your own conclusions to it, whether they be right or wrong. But like syxpak says, I'm just young and stupid, whatever my 28 years and PhD might say!

Anyway I've brought this whole thread off on a tangent about HL2, so sorry about that. So did anyone else think that maybe Far Cry should of got a bit of a better reception? I thought it should have gotten something for coming from nowhere and being so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Yeah FarCry is a good little game. I did not get bored while playing it so finished the game in the end. Not like in Doom3 it took 2months to finish i could not sit down.

Also have HalfLife 2 since day one but still have not finished it, got Bored and was finding it tiresum at the end so have not gone back to it. Same goes for my brother but he played it out, will have to pick it up again one of these days.

Far Cry was my game of the year.
    in hindsight (after playing through metroid prime 2 for the second time) its not quite that great though.

the beginning of the "Boat" level is possibly the most immersive gaming experience i've ever had

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

jomanji wrote:
    spoilers:
    Not being told why you were brought back!

Because they needed you. AND YOU DON’T HAVE A CHOICE!!!

Not being told who the combine are!

Their are one of aliens

Not being told why they are after you!

Because you’re a threat to them, because they want to control everything!

Not being told why the people you have to save are so important!

Because they are important to you finishing the mission, because you’re a good guy and you like helping people!

Not being told what you are meant to do in A, B, C, D, E ,F and onwards!

Kill people, save people, break thing etc

Not being told why some of the aliens are now friendly!

That's simple ‘the enemy of my enemy is my friend’ kind of stuff!

Not being told what the story is with all the time travel!
    and although it looked damn cool in slow motion,

You're not meant to know! AND YOU DON’T HAVE A CHOICE!!!

Not being told what the F was going on at the end when G-man whisks you away!

AGAIN! You're not meant to know! AND YOU DON’T HAVE A CHOICE!!!
    There are way to many questions to ask about the game to say it has a great story. It just seems like a segue to Half-Life 3.

Oh MY GOD you mean they’re all supposed to die or something (maybe live happily ever after?) just so you don’t feel that way… hard luck, YOU DON’T HAVE A CHOICE!!! YOUR “EMPLOYERS” CONTROL YOU NOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

jomanji wrote:
    When you have to piece together a story yourself, then the storyline isn't good, because it's not the game getting the story across, it's you drawing your own conclusions to it, whether they be right or wrong.

I guess that makes Independence Day a better movie than Memento?

Mentioning a PhD is just ego-masturbation, it has nothing to do with the topic.
    Syxpak wrote:
    Christ, it's a better game for not making everything crystal clear, there's a bit of mystery in it.

Exactly! I like the way it's done, from Gordon's POV. Too many games you see cutscenes from events you aren't actually present at, giving you every angle of the story, making you privy to information your character (who you're supposed to be while you're playing!) isn't supposed to know.

I thought Far Cry though was terribly overrated, aside from what I might think of HL2. I found the game tiresome, and couldn't actually be bothered to finish it.

• Advertisement

koneko wrote:

Mentioning a PhD is just ego-masturbation, it has nothing to do with the topic.

I simple said that because I was called "Young and Stupid" and I'm neither. There's no harm voicing opinions but when you have to resort to insulting people, it just goes against the nature of discussion. I simply believe HL2 had no plot and shouldn't of come first. The fact that it did, means a lot of people think differently. I just wanted to discuss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

tman wrote:
    Overall Game of the Year - Half-Life 2

Arsebiscuits, that shoulda been Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, in my opinion.

I said "like alot of today's stupidifed youth".
    I was comparing you to them.

I fail to see how that implies that you are "Young and Stupid" - to use your own words.

HL2 won most of the awards primarily because alot of people felt it was one of the better games of 2004 and also, because as it was pretty much the latest AAA title to be released, it is still fresh in their minds.

I don't feel it definately has the best story, as I haven't played a few of the other games that were nominated, but is has got a good story.
    There will be another installment, hopefully of equal or greater quality.

There had better be, or many small cute bunnies shall have their lives cut tragically short.

Point of note: the highest qualification I currently hold is my Leaving Cert. Make of that what you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

SyxPak wrote:
    HL2 won most of the awards primarily because alot of people felt it was one of the better games of 2004 and also, because as it was pretty much the latest AAA title to be released, it is still fresh in their minds

Psychologically speaking :D , thats called a recency effect (from the primacy and recency effect).
    Things are getting a little heated between yerself and Jomanji too. Might I suggest a showdown on Counterstrike?

SyxPak wrote:
    I said "like alot of today's stupidifed youth".
    I was comparing you to them.

I fail to see how that implies that you are "Young and Stupid" - to use your own words.

Well, I saw it as an insinuation through comparison, but as Evilution, things are getting a little too heated, after all it really is only a game! Friends? :D

smile.gif

FFVII was the most over-rated pile of pish ever.

Discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

it also has 2 of the most annoying sound bites ever recorded/played

it makes you want to pluck off your ears and flsuh them.

Dawn of War came a close second for me with the "Best Story",
    but it was a tad short, and had such a vicious and cutting cliffhanger.
    AND THERE WERE NO JETBIKES FOR THE ELDAR.

SyxPak wrote:
    Dawn of War came a close second for me with the "Best Story"
    my god that was such a tedious story!
    i didn't even watch one cutscene in its entirety...

great game though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SyxPak wrote:
    smile.gif

Discuss.

This is a totally false statement. Discussion over.
    Doodee wrote:
    it also has 2 of the most annoying sound bites ever recorded/played

it makes you want to pluck off your ears and flsuh them.

Okay I can give you that. Golden Saucers music made me wish I had been born deaf. However Aeriths theme and the Overworld theme are some of the best music ever composed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

SyxPak wrote:
    smile.gif

Discuss.
    I agree.

Great Music though, and to retrogamer-the piano version of the gold saucer music is pretty damn amazing, it's on an album called ff7 piano collection i'm pretty sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

FFVII was quality..i believe ive now finished that game 16 times over doing EVERYTHING and im still not bored...the only think that annoys me is you cant skip the cutscenes..which tbh should be optional when uve done it as many times as me!

Sephiroth.....doing the you know what...so so glad :D
    Aeris was the most annoying on that game..im so glad she got it..i dont care what people think..she had crap moves..was weak as buggery and her final limit break was about as useful as cure 3 or a megalixir...dont have to wait hours for them either

[/Aeris Rant]

i refuse to talk about it anymore or ill be starting it again
    :rolleyes:

there we go..i dont actually say what he does..and i didnt think anyone would be on like an 8yr old game for the first time :confused:

Hey spoiler tags. I know some one on boards playing FFVII at the moment!

ViperVenoM wrote:
    FFVII was quality..i believe ive now finished that game 16 times over doing EVERYTHING and im still not bored...the only think that annoys me is you cant skip the cutscenes..which tbh should be optional when uve done it as many times as me!

The thing that annoyed me is that you can't skip the incredibly boring spell animations.
    It takes far far far far too long to just beat the crap out of an enemy.
    And those random monster battles appear far too frequently.
    Remove them and perhaps you would have a semblence of a game to accompany those 3 discs of FMV.

My only regret is that I missed out on the story due to the game.

That, by definition, makes it a piece of piss game.
    You can rant about the story, the music, the "majikal coloors" all you want, it still sucked as a gameplay experience.
    Talk about fúcking tedium......to play it once is a feat of either super-human patience or lab-rat ignorance of your situation, to repeat the ordeal 16 times truely mocks the sense and then violates its still-warm corpse in the most depraved and morally void manner possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

ah but it is like over 8 years so its only twice a year...ive learnt when the long drawn out boring cut scenes are so i occupy myself during em..and there is materia you can get to avoid the annoying random battles greatly...its not tooo bad

better than 8..jesus

sock it to em, syx :)

the final fantasy games have always seemed piss poor to me. but then i'm not an RPG fan

****ing blasphemers! Go play your unoriginal and soulless Doom 3's and farcry's. :D

If you thought the cutscenes in the FF games were long you should play Panzer Dragoon Saga. The intro FMV lasts about 20 minutes. And the rest of the cutscenes aren't far behind. Its no wonder that despite the 4 CDs it comes on are full the game only lasts 16 hours.

He was talking about the little animations for magic and stuff-not the cutscenes, someone else misread or something.

Any way you can hardly call final fantasy original, the story is a basic love story/save the world affair, the gameplay changes very little from game to game, even the character advancement doesn't change that much apart from the way the menu's for upgrading your characters are displayed.

Though saying that you could propose that there really aren't any original games......but let's not get into that......

I had more written, but then I looked at the topic of the thread and realised how off topic I had gone.

Gordon Freeman >> Cloud Strife

• Advertisement

SyxPak wrote:
    Gordon Freeman >> Cloud Strife
    It's all in the beard.

Advertisement