Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone licensed a rifle above .270 yet?

Options
  • 08-01-2005 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

All,

Just an enquiry, has anyone licensed something above .270 yet? ie a 308, or 303?

Anyone tried a license application for a .223?

What has been the reaction from the "powers that be" ?

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Not personally, but plenty of the above have been licenced. Unlike the pistols, there seems to be no problem gettting import licences for them and they are being sold in the normal fashion from gun dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The biggest I know of currently is .338 Lapua Magnum.
    There appear to be a fair number of .303s and .308s out there.

Anyone out there with a proper 'dangerous big-game rifle'???
    Preferably double-barrelled! :D

Who's going to be the first with a .50BMG??? :D

In talking to the lads at the Midlands Rifle Club range, their only objection to them would be that they'd have to rebuild the backstops more frequently!

Dear Superintendent.....................................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

their only objection to them would be that they'd have to rebuild the backstops more frequently!

I'd imagine the potential value of the recovered lead deposits from the .50
    would almost cover the cost .. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bernard93

mosulli4,

put in my application for my rpa target rifle in 308 for palma and queens prize in bisley and so far so good (and about time) :)

Hope to get it in march/april

give those brits a run for there money :D

bernard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Horeb

I have been looking to get an old .303 Lee Enfield SMLE, would be curious the price of ammo for this aswell and also pocuring one as in the UK you can get one for about £150 and they are a robust all round target,deer and Sniper rifle if you look at it that way :p

Anyone got one of these as I used to use one years ago in the UK and was an easy and cheap and cheerful solution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Horeb,
    you might be better off getting one converted to 308 or 7.62X39. 303 British is becoming a hard enuff calibre to find in plenty &cheap quantities anymore.The above two cals are taking over in the cheap&plenty field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Horeb

Is the latter calibre the russian one, ie. ak47 rounds are 7.62x39MM would they be match standard as they are a military round as is the NATO 7.62 x51MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bernard93

Horeb,

DONT go near the Russian 7.62x39MM round.... its not good, once you go past 300 yards it goes to pot!

A smellie in 7.62 is a good bet, BUT (Im not a gunsmith so here it goes)
    Whenever you convert a smle from .303 to 7.62 the original extractor doesn’t work that well and ive seen people shooting them and have to extract the fired case manually from the chamber (not good)

You can get an Enfield enforcer (80s police sniper/target) rifle which work has been done on it and will feed from standard smellie 10 round mags! I think there around £300-£400 in the uk...

Hope this helps

Bernard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 laurence t.

i have seen advertised in I think, Gun Mart, lee Enfield rifles that were Australian in origon in 7.62 cal.

Advertisement