Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Crashing!

• 08-01-2005 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi,

The computer is crashing and when i press Ctl+Alt+Del i get this message " System dangerously low in system resources " - and sometimes only after starting the computer up with about two applications running but there is about 8 or 9 in the list when i press ctrl+alt+Del.

When i try to close one or two of the programs from the list in Ctlr+Alt+Del, the hour glass continues again and i get the " system resources " message again! The only way i can get out of it is by restart button and into Scan disk for 3 mins.

also microsoft word wont open up properly - when i try to open it up the hour glass just comes up for ages .

I have about 7 Gb of free memory on a 20 Gb hard drive ?

How can i see if the computer needs more RAM or how close to "danger" its operating or do i need to change the settings ? Is there any software on Windows i can run ?
    What else could i do to prevent this happening?

All suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

ublinina wrote:
    Hi,

The computer is crashing and when i press Ctl+Alt+Del i get this message " System dangerously low in system resources " - and sometimes only after starting the computer up with about two applications running but there is about 8 or 9 in the list when i press ctrl+alt+Del.

When i try to close one or two of the programs from the list in Ctlr+Alt+Del, the hour glass continues again and i get the " system resources " message again! The only way i can get out of it is by restart button and into Scan disk for 3 mins.

also microsoft word wont open up properly - when i try to open it up the hour glass just comes up for ages .

I have about 7 Gb of free memory on a 20 Gb hard drive ?

How can i see if the computer needs more RAM or how close to "danger" its operating or do i need to change the settings ? Is there any software on Windows i can run ?
    What else could i do to prevent this happening?

All suggestions welcome!

You sure you dont have an adware or virus infection. Also how old is your PC because if the computer is old then it might have trouble running modern programs if you have them installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

I'm going to make a couple of huge assumptions.
    Firstly, I'll assume your computer hasn't recently changed OS, say from windows 98 to windows xp.
    Secondly, I'll assume that some of those 8 or 9 background processes are unnecessary crap and that you probably have far too many memory resident progs running in the background.

If I'm even close to right, then downloading this will help. Just run the standard "check for problems" in that and it might cut your list in half.

If you're a little knowledgeable and very confident, check the startup programs section in spybot and delete whatever looks completely unnecessary but be sure to read the descriptions before you hit delete.

Remember, when in doubt ask someone else. A thourough scandisk afterwards wouldn't be out of the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Also, when you're browsing the internet be more careful of which popup questions you answer yes to and, when you're done with the other maintenance, run a virus scan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

whats Virtual Mem set to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

How many programs are trying to load at start up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Try booting in safe mode to see how much memory is used.

Advertisement