Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AXA acting the dogs - anything that can be done

Options
  • 08-01-2005 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭

My parents had an accident last summer that wasn't their fault (got hit from behind when taking off from a traffic light, **** behind us was impatient). It's 9 months on and AXA still hasn't sorted out the claim meaning they can't change insurance companies and meaning my named driver insurance will jump by €700 when the insurance comes up for renewal next month. Is there anything that can be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Isn't there an 'Insurance Ombudsman' for cases like this ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They will just say that legal procedures are being followed and any delays are not their fault and an ombudsman will accept that. As for paying out more - thats typical!
    Claims can go on for two or three years. Any increases in the meantime are unlikely to be returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

unfortunately nothing can be done until settled. the only insurance company that will insure ur parents is axa.
    u could get ur own insurance though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭logonapr

If your parents car has been insured with AXA and was struck from behind I presume that they have initially just claimed on their own policy for repairs to their own car. If this is the case AXA have separate no claims discounts on the third party and comprehensive parts of the premium calculation and therefore the more expensive third party part should not be affected. Would be surprising to see a big hike in premium in these circumstances.
    Any chance that it isn't totally clearcut and that the third party is claiming against your parents for either damage or for injuries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

i'm confused, if they were hit from behind, wouldn't they claim off the other guys insurance??

• Advertisement

exactly if there wasnt more to it than hes telling

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Has there been a counter claim thats the only reason your insurance will go up while your own claim is pending!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

An insurance smart ass said one time 'Its a no claim,not a no blame bonus'

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

As far as I know you car is always repaired at the expense of your own insurance initially, the idea being it is the quickest way to get you back on the road.

We had a problem in the North where almost 2 years after an accident (we had 3 years free insurance) where we were driven into the insurance company had not even started the process to claim the money from the guilty parties insurance. In this case he had admitted liability to the police on the scene and the police report cleary stated he was responsible. At the end of the 3 years we were trying to get new insurance. When I phoned the company they told we it was none of my business whether ot not they chased a claim and if they decided not to bother there was nothing we could do and it was too bad for us. This is almost exaclty word for word what we were told.

MrP

moral is claim of their company when clearcut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Any chance that it isn't totally clearcut and that the third party is claiming against your parents for either damage or for injuries?

Checked the insurance document, there's no record of a 3rd party claim. And you're right, we still have the 3rd party no claims bonus, just no accidental cover no claims bonus. I don't have a break down for my portion of the premium.
    unfortunately nothing can be done until settled. the only insurance company that will insure ur parents is axa.
    u could get ur own insurance though.

I'm definitely going to look into purchasing my own small car and getting my own insurance when I finish college this year and start working (even if I get my full licence, it will still be over €2,000 for basic insurance on my parents' 5 seater). Unfortunately I'm looking to do my driving test in 2 months time and the insurance on my parents' car runs out before then and I can't afford next year's premium right now. I guess I could always take a few lessons and hire out the instructor's car for the day, wouldn't mind doing my test in a small car actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gothic Warrior

But where does the "dog" come into it?

Advertisement