Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basketball on TV?

Options
  • 08-01-2005 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

hey, nice to see a basketball board.
    Are the irish games ever shown on TV? because tbh basketball is the only sport (with ice hockey) i can be bothered watching!
    Anyone here play for a team? go to regular games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

I play for a Division 3 team based in Navan called the Simonstown Knights.

I was at the St. Vincents / Killester match today in St Vincents CBS, good game, well fought but St. Vincents were too strong all over. Killester rely heavily on their American players.

Regarding televised basketball in this country, there is practically none that I'm aware of. However, the national Cup is normally televised every year by RTÉ ... that's coming up on the weekend of the 29th.

Teletext page 217 gives you all the latest results. As for normal televised games, TG4 and TV3 used to have shows on the superleague, but I'm not sure if that's still the case, I haven't seen anything recently. TV3 still have their sportsfile, but I've seen nothing about basketball, but then again I only watch it sporadically. If anyone has any concrete info on televised basketball by RTE1/2, TV3 or TG4, that'd be great!

Sky Sports Xtra show quite a few NBA matches, I think up to one a week, but I don't have sky and I'm not willing to pay the ridiculous fees to watch one match a week

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Sky show a match every Saturday morning and either a Monday or Tuesday night.Neither being live though.

The Saturday morning match is from the previous night and the game that is on a Monday/Tuesday is from the Sunday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

pity there isn't any proper NBA coverage, basketball games are very enjoyable

super chan used to show quite a few :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

tck wrote:
    pity there isn't any proper NBA coverage, basketball games are very enjoyable

super chan used to show quite a few :/

get NASN on NTL or SKY digital... 3 live NBA games a week, repeated the next day, NBA fastbreak, Classic NBA games, Live+replayed college games... what more do ya want...

sure as hell beats the slow pace of irish basketball...

although i do miss watching vincents play...esp back in the day when joey boylan could pick decent americans :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

five show a live NBA game each week, wednesday night/thursday morning, i think

and local Cork tv has some irish league stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

My third year in a row subscribing to NASN, 20 euro per month is well worth it.
    I oly subscribe for January through to April so I can get all the College Basketball including the FINAL FOUR.

Help me in a poll they are doing:

go to http:\\www.nasn.com and scroll down...

Which college hoops game do you want to see on January 18th?

vote for: Wake Forest vs Florida State 39.66%

Currently Losing, but three days to change it!

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

SoundWave wrote:
    ... what more do ya want...

well a tv would be nice :)

ESPN access can be gotten via CoolStreaming:

http://personal.ie.cuhk.edu.hk/~xyzhang2/CoolStreaming.exe

I've found it very jerky, both at home and in work with Irish Broadband at home and Eircom DSL in work. I definately had a 10 minute spot yesterday when some racing guy was on that I could watch it flawlessly, but apart from that I find it mostly unusable. I'm still gonna keep trying though, it's better than the alternatives.

I was dubious about downloading an .exe straight away, but it all seems above board, but virus scan anyways. The authors webpage is here: http://personal.ie.cuhk.edu.hk/~xyzhang2/

It basically gives you a list of streams, you pick one and it forwards the stream on to your local machine where Windows Media Player or some other player can pick it up.

Update: I upgraded Windows Media player to the latest on windows update and the picture was brilliant in work. I also think the connection was a bit dodgy this morning when I tried. I don't hold out much hope for home, because the connection is a good bit slower there. There's a couple of college games on this evening I'm hoping to catch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

They're is Basketball Ireland Superleague coverge on Chorus Sports Channel,
    but they only show one game per week. It's usually on thursdays at 9, I think.

Also they only cover the Southren Division Games. If your going to a Lions, Tigers, Demons, Waterford, Neptune or Lakers game they're may be a tv crew there.
    They cover many of Limerick Lions games because there studio is in Limerick,
    but they also do the others too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Tourneque

If you're willing to pay, you can get the full NBA game broadcasts on a DVD from a company called PonTel - www.pontel.com

I subscribed for a month and paid 69euros for 8 games in December. You get the dvd's by mail a few days after the games air.

Both the quality and service are very good .. although it is a bit pricy.

Alternatively if you're looking for a particular game, you can buy just that game.

It's definitely worth a look for NBA fans. I think they have NCAA aswell..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

SoundWave wrote:
    get NASN on NTL or SKY digital... 3 live NBA games a week, repeated the next day, NBA fastbreak, Classic NBA games, Live+replayed college games... what more do ya want...

sure as hell beats the slow pace of irish basketball...

although i do miss watching vincents play...esp back in the day when joey boylan could pick decent americans :P

u not reasise its all about dosh, u got to pay americans, more u pay, should b self explanotary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

old boy wrote:
    u not reasise its all about dosh, u got to pay americans, more u pay, should b self explanotary

yup sure do.... but we should be paid to watch irish ball.....

u a regestered charity or similar

hey limerick man are you taking in the lions and neptune game this sat. nite

Tourneque wrote:
    If you're willing to pay, you can get the full NBA game broadcasts on a DVD from a company called PonTel - www.pontel.com

I ordered All star Saturday and Sunday about 10 days ago. In your experience, roughly when should I get the DVDs?

Cheers,

Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I also ordered them (last monday)

seeing as its the weekend gone by, im assuming late this week, or early next

According to pontel they were posted yesterday, so probably arriving tomorrow or Monday, hopefully!

Got mine today! *rubs hands*

Hey Old Boy! Yes that game was televised, as was this weesks one against tigers it'll be on chorus if you weren't there!
    Sorry I am late replying i know the answer to your first question is now pointless but anyway if you missed it i'm sure you heard we won. Hate to say it but it was the best game of the season (in my opinion).
    But if you missed the tigers game u can catch it on Thursday over on chorus, not going to spoil it by telling you who won ... just that it wasnt Limerick!!!!!

That was the last home game of the season, after the game i asked Jefferies if he was returning next season he said he didnt know ... which probably means no!

And Matt Hall will be coaching the UL team next year so i dont know if he will be on the line up next year... if he's not we're screwed!!!

hi, i was @ the game last nite, defence not good enough, ball watching no concentration, how they let donaghy get 29 points is a mystery,matt hall is coaching uls varsitys this year and did so this year, brendan toomey is a nice player, he can defend as well as score. i think matt hall is on his last year, there is talk of niall cambell moving to collage in dublin next year. ill have more news soon i hope all of it good, did you buy a raffle ticket yet, nice prize,and they need the money badly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 mad beor

yea chorus every wednesday at round half 8 i think.
    But can someone tell me if you can just get NASN for one month???
    I only want it for march so i can see the march madness college games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I play in the Cavan League for Trim Cobras, U18.
    Sky Sports show:
    nba action including 10 top plays of the week, player profiles and classic games EVERY thursday at 18.30 and again at 23.30
    random friday night games broadcast on saturday morning, usually around 09.00
    random live game, normally an early afternoon fixture on Sunday, received here around 18.00 Sunday evening. If there's no live game on a Sunday evening (which happens maybe every third week) then the game will be shown Monday evening around the same time instead
    When I say random it could be absolutely any two teams, but the teams they've shown alot of this year are the Heat, the Rockets, the Lakers and the Mavs. I reckon the games should be all live on Sunday evening from here on in because the playoffs are approaching...

I'm just watching the Lions game a second ago... you dont realise that they're seems to be more stairway then seating??? Compared to all the other arena's the UL is alot more spacious!!! Although you dont notice when your sitting there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mad beor

yeah was watching that to
    good game near the end
    so whats the story with limerick now, if they win their next game have they a chance of getting to the playoffs if tralee beat neptune or what?

yeah, they gotta beat vincents on sun to get thro,

They didnt and whats worse Neptune lost so if we just kept the game going (as i read we where winning at the start) we would have progressed.

From 1st place to second and then down to fourth all just at the end of the league. Downer.

Advertisement