Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€100 Freeze Out,any tips....

Options
  • 09-01-2005 12:07am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I won a ticket for this today in the freeroll,I am heading in Monday (unless the other half goes into labour).So any tips lads....So far I have only played in small tournament's such as the freeroll and the 20 euro Wednesday/Sunday game.I am looking forward to it big time.

So any Advice....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Take your time, there's loads of play in the gentle blinds and long(ish) blind levels.
    Bet your good hands strongly, try not to chase any non-nut draws (nut flush or top straight) since there are no rebuys, and if you do cahse make sure that you have decent pot odds.

Don't fear the bullies, if a few players think that you're new/inexperienced then they'll try to bluff you off pot, if you think they're up to this then re raise them if need be.

Good luck with the labour by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Take advantage of the gentle blind structure and large amount of starting chips. Take your time in other words.

Bet amounts appropriate to the pot and blinds, in the 20 rebuy and the freeroll people overbet pots a lot becuase they know the play is loose and a call is likely. If you're betting for effect on the flop bet the pot or more, make draws expensive if you think you're ahead.

Also as Luke don't allow yourself to be bullied, but be pretty sure that you are in fact being bullied.

Don't be afraid to represent or throw in a bit of cheekiness yourself. Nobody is winning this tournament with ABC poker.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Thanks for the tips lads.....No labour yet so its looking like I will head in tonight.

How many players do they get for this one...?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Should be a minimum of 5/6 tables, but they've had it up to over 100 punters I think.

I really injoyed this tournament some great poker was played,I got to the final two tables and was knocked out around midnight in 17th position when my K J all in came up against A 9 nothing for both of us on the board so the A high knocked me out.

I will play this tournament again.What other game after about two months playing proper can you sit down and play with a former world champ....?I could have knocked him out as well but I folded two pair as I thought he had a flush that would have been one for the Poker CV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bmc

So you were on my table Dub13.

I was the unfortunate sitting at Noel's right hand in seat 8. I got moved to the other table after a wee while.

I'm still thinking about the double up that I foolishly gave to him. (My top pair V's his two pair Aces and Threes.) If you remember the hand can you remember if he hit the three on the flop or the turn? It's kept me distracted all day.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭pokertroll

Dub13 wrote:
    I really injoyed this tournament some great poker was played,I got to the final two tables and was knocked out around midnight in 17th position

Yes was a great game alright, good standard generally and a healthy prizefund!

Were you on the 2nd last table upstairs?

2nd last table was a bit of a struggle - I was shortstacked for most of it but managed to gain momentum towards the end.

The final table was absolute carnage and only lasted about 40 minutes or so.
    It came down to myself, Adam, Harold, Paddy O'Neil and an Italian gentleman (young with grey hair)whose name I can't remember and who had most of the chips.

First prize was 2700, second prize 1300.
    Adam came 5th, Harold 4rd, Paddy 3rd and I split with the Italian guy for 2k each.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Well done PT! I thought the first table you were at (where I dealt for a short while) was decidedly easy pickings for you (did you make much off it?). Was it Paddy O'Neill or Paddy Hicks?

I didnt see Noel Furlong there but there is a guy who looks the spitting image of him who plays the big games all the time. Mr Furlong made an appearance then?

DeV.

DeVore wrote:
    Mr Furlong made an appearance then?

DeV.

Yeah, he was upstairs on table 2 with Kevin, Joe O'Neill, Vincent, Frank and others I didn't know.

I was getting an education at that table.

Yeah - I did okay out of the first table - the big hand for me early on was when I hit quad 4s on the turn against Irene's slow-played flopped nut flush. I hung on to that 10k for most of the night and trippled up in a couple of hands before the final table

Noel is back playing regularly - he was there last monday and for the 270 also.

Twas Paddy 'the taxi' O'Neil who came third.

• Advertisement

bmc wrote:
    So you were on my table Dub13.

I was the unfortunate sitting at Noel's right hand in seat 8. I got moved to the other table after a wee while.

I'm still thinking about the double up that I foolishly gave to him. (My top pair V's his two pair Aces and Threes.) If you remember the hand can you remember if he hit the three on the flop or the turn? It's kept me distracted all day.

B

Yea that was me I was in seat 7,I am 90% sure Noels 3 came on the turn that was hard luck.

pokertroll wrote:

Were you on the 2nd last table upstairs?

2nd last table was a bit of a struggle - I was shortstacked for most of it but managed to gain momentum towards the end.

Yea I was on that table,which one were you...?I was also short stack for a good while on this table with another chap to my right.After about 4 all ins I was moving up then got abit of bad luck.Some very good players were at that 2nd last table upstairs,I was happy to just survive for as long as I did with so few chips.

Dub13 wrote:
    Yea that was me I was in seat 7,I am 90% sure Noels 3 came on the turn that was hard luck.

It was unlucky for me that he hit but then again it was silly not to believe his all-in. It was a very tough table, well done on hanging in so long.

Dub13 wrote:
    Yea I was on that table,which one were you...?I was also short stack for a good while on this table with another chap to my right.After about 4 all ins I was moving up then got abit of bad luck.Some very good players were at that 2nd last table upstairs,I was happy to just survive for as long as I did with so few chips.

I think I was sitting opposite you - you were to the left of Mick McCloskey, right?

pokertroll wrote:
    I think I was sitting opposite you - you were to the left of Mick McCloskey, right?

Yea that was me.....Mick knocked we out (after I beat him heads up a few times),I had KJ all in against his A9 nothing for both of us on the board :rolleyes: he is a good player.

Which seat were you in...?

Dub13 wrote:
    Yea that was me.....Mick knocked we out (after I beat him heads up a few times),I had KJ all in against his A9 nothing for both of us on the board :rolleyes: he is a good player.

Which seat were you in...?

I think it was seat 4 - Mick actually came back into it to be one of the chip leaders going onto the final table - he is a good player alright - I haven't seen him in the Fitz before - he normally play the bigger festival events such as the Irish open.

pokertroll wrote:
    I think it was seat 4 - Mick actually came back into it to be one of the chip leaders going onto the final table - he is a good player alright - I haven't seen him in the Fitz before - he normally play the bigger festival events such as the Irish open.

I think I remember you....were you on Table 4 to start with.

I will be back for this 100 game.

Advertisement