Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rules in regards to re-raising.

Options
  • 09-01-2005 6:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Well just want to get a few rules right in regards to re-raising. Scenario 1 in a 25/50 blinds no limit game with 3 players, player A raises 100 then player B goes all-in for 125 if player C re-raises his minimun re-raise is 225? And scenario 2 same game player A raises 100 player B calls player C goes all-in for 125 then can any of the other players call a re-raise or is it just an option of calling or folding? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

In both situations I believe it is the standard ruling underraising rules are:

1. Player C can't raise. Player A can't raise either can only call the extra 25.

2. Neither A nor B can raise. They can only call the extra 25.

Different card rooms/sites have different rules but I think that is the most common one.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

In the second scenario:
    If a player goes all-in for more then the bet but doesnt manage to actually *raise* (ie double the previous raise) then any player who has had a chance to bet may only call or fold when it gets around to them. In effect the all-in (even though it is an increase) doesnt trigger another round of betting.

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

In situation 1 I thought player c would be allowed to raise as he hasn't acted yet. Is this incorrect?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

In the first scenario, the question isnt if he can raise or not (he can, since he hasnt acted yet). The question is "what is his minimum raise". Its double the previous raise (afaik) which is 100 (since the 125 doesnt qualify as a raise). So Player C, if he's going to raise, must raise to at least 200, thats my understanding anyway. The question is confusing though because the blinds arent given which affects things like min re-raises.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Bane wrote:
    Well just want to get a few rules right in regards to re-raising. Scenario 1 in a 25/50 blinds no limit game with 3 players, player A raises 100 then player B goes all-in for 125 if player C re-raises his minimun re-raise is 225? And scenario 2 same game player A raises 100 player B calls player C goes all-in for 125 then can any of the other players call a re-raise or is it just an option of calling or folding? Thanks in advance!
    Blinds 25/50.
    Player A raises to 100
    Player B goes all-in for 125
    Player C has to raise to 250, that's his minimum raise. The all-in for 125 isn't a 'proper' raise but it still has to be doubled in any reraise by players still to act.

Scenario 2 is as other peoples have said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Bane

K so if a player goes all-in raise for less the minimun raise players that have acted can only call/fold the bet and players who have yet to act can call a re-raise. So a player who has yet to act calls a re-raise, in doing this does this give the players who have acted the right to a re-raise again? or are they still limited to a call/fold?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

Bane wrote:
    K so if a player goes all-in raise for less the minimun raise players that have acted can only call/fold the bet and players who have yet to act can call a re-raise. So a player who has yet to act calls a re-raise, in doing this does this give the players who have acted the right to a re-raise again? or are they still limited to a call/fold?
    When the action comes back around to a player who has already acted in this betting round, they have the option to re-raise ONLY IF there has been at least a full raise since their last bet. So in answer to your question above, yes, those that have acted can re-raise.

Example 1

SB 25
    BB 50
    Player A - calls 50
    Player B - all-in for 75 (this is an under-raise)
    Everyone else either calls the 75 or folds.
    When it comes back to Player A, they can either call or fold, not raise.

Example 2

SB 25
    BB 50
    Player A - calls 50
    Player B - all-in for 100 (a full raise)
    Everyone else either calls the 100 or folds.
    When it comes back to Player A, they now have the option of re-raising.

As regards the seperate issue of what is the minimum raise, well it depends.
    The example given by Lafortezza above is a standard used in most card-rooms, including the Fitz and Merrion, ie. a raise must at least double the total bet at that point. However, if you play online, you'll notice that it's generally different, ie. the amount of the raise must be at least equal to the amount of the biggest raise so far. So taking the other example... (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here).

Blinds 25/50.
    Player A raises to 100 (a raise of 50)
    Player B goes all-in for 125 (an under-raise of 25)
    Player C can then minimum raise it by another 50 up to 175.

If you're playing a home game, make sure everyone knows which rules you are playing in relation to this. I'd recommend going by the example given by Lafortezza (Min-raising = doubling the total bet) rather than the above.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

DeVore wrote:
    In the first scenario, the question isnt if he can raise or not (he can, since he hasnt acted yet). The question is "what is his minimum raise". Its double the previous raise (afaik) which is 100 (since the 125 doesnt qualify as a raise). So Player C, if he's going to raise, must raise to at least 200, thats my understanding anyway. The question is confusing though because the blinds arent given which affects things like min re-raises.

DeV.

Ah yeah I know what the question was. I was reacting to Dappers statement that c could not raise.

Crumbs wrote:
    Example 1
    SB 25
    BB 50
    Player A - calls 50
    Player B - all-in for 75 (this is an under-raise)
    Everyone else either calls the 75 or folds.
    When it comes back to Player A, they can either call or fold, not raise.
    Surely players acting after Player B's all-in can still raise since they haven't had a chance to call/raise/fold yet... Their options can't be just call/fold.
    If say 2 players call the 75 all-in and it comes back to Player A then he can't re-raise, he can only call the 75 under-raise.
    Crumbs wrote:
    Example 2
    SB 25
    BB 50
    Player A - calls 50
    Player B - all-in for 100 (a full raise)
    Everyone else either calls the 100 or folds.
    When it comes back to Player A, they now have the option of re-raising.
    Again when Player B goes all-in for a full raise action is as normal as there has been no under-raise. People can raise or call willy-nilly.

Willy-nilly I tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

lafortezza wrote:
    Surely players acting after Player B's all-in can still raise since they haven't had a chance to call/raise/fold yet... Their options can't be just call/fold.
    If say 2 players call the 75 all-in and it comes back to Player A then he can't re-raise, he can only call the 75 under-raise.

Again when Player B goes all-in for a full raise action is as normal as there has been no under-raise. People can raise or call willy-nilly.
    Yep, all true, but I thought that went without saying. I was using examples where all others just happened to call or fold to simplify things from Player A's perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Bane

I thought the most common rule about re-raising is not by simply doubling the previous bet but by adding at least what was raised before to the bet.

Example:

25/50 blinds game
    Player A raises 50
    Player B re-raises to 150 (raise of 100)
    Player C minimum re-raise would be 250

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭BrendanB

There are different rules to the 50-100-150 etc. raising business, but the fitz (and the merrion, I'm pretty sure) play 50-100-200 i.e. any raise must be at least double the amount of the previous bet.

As to under-raising rule is very simple:
    you may only reraise if you have been fully raised.

You have been fully raised if you are being asked to put in at least as much again as you already have in. So if you have 100 in and are being asked for another 50 you cannot reraise. If you haven't acted yet (thus having nothing in) you may reraise regardless of the previous bet/all-in situation.

The only exception is that the blinds may reraise preflop if they have been underraised, as they were forced bets.

Trust me, I used to be a dealer :)
    Brendan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Yeah, I was wrong about situation one. Man I'm stoopid.

DapperGent wrote:
    Yeah, I was wrong about situation one. Man I'm stoopid.
    And your not even that pretty to compensate...

Advertisement