Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More bother for Pinochet

Options
  • 09-01-2005 8:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Pinochet 'false passports' found
    A search of former Chilean military ruler Augusto Pinochet's offices has unearthed four false passports, says the judge who carried out the hunt.

Judge Sergio Munoz, who is looking into secret bank accounts held by the general in the US, said he also found evidence of other accounts held abroad.

He said the passports were apparently issued to the general in false names.

Gen Pinochet, 89, was placed under house arrest on Wednesday while he is investigated on murder charges.

Court backs Pinochet murder trial
    Chile's Supreme Court has ruled the country's former President Augusto Pinochet is fit to stand trial on murder and kidnapping charges.

It upheld a lower court move to throw out a defence motion arguing Gen Pinochet, 89, was not mentally able to defend himself.

The ruling brings the former military ruler one step closer to trial.

However, Gen Pinochet's defence team will still have other opportunities to block the proposed trial.

The court's split decision - by three votes against two - is seen as a major blow against Gen Pinochet, the BBC's Clinton Porteous in the Chilean capital, Santiago, says.
    The judges were obviously politically motivated. :mad: The 2 that said he was unfit I mean.

I still can't really see this trial going ahead for some reason. The ghastly little twerp must be well freaked out though. 'Not a leaf moves in Chile if I don't move it - let that be clear.' :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

Well he deserves what he gets as far as I am concerned. Nothing that happens to him will be remotely as bad as the slaughter of thousands in the stadium in Santiago or thousands of people since.

Advertisement