Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real To Ditch English Trio

• 09-01-2005 11:54am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

David Beckham, Michael Owen and Jonathan Woodgate could be on the way out at Real Madrid.

According to The Sunday People the English trio will be ditched by the Spanish giants this summer.

The tabloid claims the new coach at the Bernabeu - Brazilian Wanderley Luxemburgo - will look to South America for a new generation of galacticos.

Wonder kid Robinho is just one of the players rumoured to be on Real's hit list as they bid to return to the summit of European football.

Beckham could welcome a return to the Premiership after struggling to set La Liga alight, while injured centre-back Woodgate - a £13million summer capture from Newcastle - has yet to kick a ball for the club.

Owen meanwhile has had some success despite limited opportunities since his summer move from Liverpool.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/05/01/09/manual_095518.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Woodgate and Owen are still young, compare them to the rest of the squad and it would be foolish to get rid of them.
    Real Madrid can't sign that many South Americans, Spanish teams can only have 3 non-EU players in their squad.
    I can see Figo, Roberto Carlos and Beckham all going during the Summer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

But Carlos and Ronaldo have applied for Spanish citizenship to enable Madrid to have two more non E.U. players (South American)

I wouldn't mind taking Woodgate back on a free either , just long enough to see if he is permanently banjaxed , so we could sell him again , and if he isn't get him to sign a new 5 year deal , he'd be worth £60,000 a week even if he only played half our games . Our shocking defense was transformed into a well organised structure when he was playing .

Roberto Carlos is too old at this stage, they need to get rid of him and bring in someone young and good.
    Ronaldo I thought already had dual citizenship by now, and he's about 29 at this stage, not that old but he has had alot of injuries too.
    Real Madrid on a whole have a squad that is too old, they need to get rid of them and bring in new blood.

Makaveli wrote:
    Roberto Carlos is too old at this stage, they need to get rid of him and bring in someone young and good.
    Ronaldo I thought already had dual citizenship by now, and he's about 29 at this stage, not that old but he has had alot of injuries too.
    Real Madrid on a whole have a squad that is too old, they need to get rid of them and bring in new blood.

Portillo , Cambiasso , Casilas , this is what a new team should have been built around , but they sold Cambiasso and loaned out Portillo (probably will keep loaning him till they get a buyer) never to start ahead of Ronaldo , Raul , Owen or Morientes .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Once again the Spanish rule for 3 non E.U. players would somewhat limit this. I can see Robinho coming in, an entire replacement.

First off, this story is totally made up, no doubt about it.
    Beckham, whether real madrid like it or not, is the closest thing they have to as econd defensive midfielder. That is often where he plays in their funny 3-2-crazy/4-2-crazy formation.

Woodgate will not be sold, he is an incredibly good player and there is no point selling him before he evens plays.

Real madrid knew that he was going to be injured, they aren't going to sell him before he even plays, what the **** would they do that for? Especialy with Samuel on the way out probably.

The new team should be built around,
    Casillas(23), Woodgate(24), Samuel(26)[if he stays], Owen(24).
    The fairly solid defensive structures, if they get together, will enable them to buy all the attacking players they want, i.e. two attacking full backs, an entire new midfield.
    Keep in mind the unlimited cash they have, they have more backing than even Chelsea since while Chelsea have a business man, granted a philantropist, Real Madrid have a the government of spain :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Well something like this isnt exactly new to Real Madrid. Was it last season they had "Bye bye Raúl" spray painted on the outside of the stadium along with other offensive stuff about him.

He's still there. I think the transfer circus starts up this time every year and gives the spanish football hacks something to write about.

IMO Beckham will probably last another season or two. Figo 1 more season, Zidane to finish his contract. Roberto Carlos the same as Beckham. I cant see Ronaldo going anywhere for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

The story is a complete fabrication. Luxemburgo was brought in because Perez wants to temporarily appease the Galaticos. Camacho resigned because the Galaticos revolted - he felt they needed to do more training, they felt they did too much.

Roberto Carlos's agent is working on getting him to the Premiership for next season. Man Utd have already asked Madrid for a price on the player. They have also made an enquiry for Raul.

Perez has been trying to get rid of Ronaldo, he was offered to Inter in part exchange for Adriano. Neither the club or the player were interested in the offer.

Perez wants to build a new team of stars and Michael Owen is very much part of his plans. Beckham will be kept on for a few more seasons but Woodgate is another matter - Real Madrid have a team of lawyers working on finding away to void the transfer, basically Newcastle and the player lied to them about the extent of the injury is their line of thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PHB wrote:
    Woodgate will not be sold, he is an incredibly good player and there is no point selling him before he evens plays.

Real madrid knew that he was going to be injured, they aren't going to sell him before he even plays, what the **** would they do that for?
    As Bannor said, they didn't know what Newcastle knew about Woodgate's injury. Well before Woodgate was linked to Madrid there was a Newcastle based journalist on Newstalk and he said Woodgate's injury was a lot more serious than is being publicised and it could potentially end his career sooner rather than later. Since Woodgate's transfer to Madrid everyone got hold of that story but Newstalk 106 was the first place I heard it and it was well before he was linked to Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

You mean Woodgate still hasn't kicked a ball :eek:

The story about Real ditching their English trio is circulation in more than one newspaper at the moment though. I couldn't see Owen going, especially since Morientes might be on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Big Ears wrote:
    I wouldn't mind taking Woodgate back on a free either , just long enough to see if he is permanently banjaxed , so we could sell him again
    Bit of wishful thinking if I ever heard it ;)

• Advertisement

If they did manage to void the Woodgate transfer how much trouble would Newcastle be in then, considering they're splashing the cash at the moment?

Makaveli wrote:
    If they did manage to void the Woodgate transfer how much trouble would Newcastle be in then, considering they're splashing the cash at the moment?

It would just mean no summer spending for whoevers manager .

The team for tonights match with Athletico was:

I. Casillas; R. Carlos, I. Helguera, F. Pavon, A. Arbeloa; Z. Zidane, L. Figo, S. Solari, D. Beckham; Raul, Ronaldo.
    subs: M. Owen, F. Morientes, J. Garcia, A. Celades, A. Majia, R. Bravo, Cesar.

Currently 1-0 to Madrid, Ronaldo with the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

They'll do well to get rid of Beckham but Owen is, at worst, excellent cover. That's espically essential of Morientes is sold, and Woodgate is superb if ever not injured which is unlikely I'll admit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

How could they possibly "void" the Woodgate transfer when I assume they had their own doctors run the rule over the player before agreeing to the transfer? I assume they signed contracts to pay too.

There would a short two word answer from Newcastle me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

eirebhoy wrote:
    The team for tonights match with Athletico was:

I. Casillas; R. Carlos, I. Helguera, F. Pavon, A. Arbeloa; Z. Zidane, L. Figo, S. Solari, D. Beckham; Raul, Ronaldo.
    subs: M. Owen, F. Morientes, J. Garcia, A. Celades, A. Majia, R. Bravo, Cesar.

Currently 1-0 to Madrid, Ronaldo with the goal.

It finished 0-3 to real. They played poorly(only 3 shots on goal!) but its a fantastic result. They're now in second place 7 points behind barca who lost 3-0 to villareal. 2 wins in 2 for luxemburgo.
    If carlos and figo go, who would replace them? jaoquin was favourite but he'll probably go to chelsea. Cole won't leave arsenal. Maybe push beckham out on the right with a more attacking role?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I'm sure the manager will change soon enough...along with the plans :rolleyes:

Villarreal beat Barca 3-0, Diego Forlan got 2. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

p.s. Cole might leave Arsenal if Lauran and Campbell are gone :)
    The first looking very likely, the second not as unlikely as people like to say(cough spurs fans remember)

eirebhoy wrote:
    Villarreal beat Barca 3-0, Diego Forlan got 2. :)

First one was offside, though a cracking finish. Linesmen and Ref were muck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement