Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Getz

Options
  • 09-01-2005 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

I am considering buying a Hyundai Getz 1.3 has anyone any feedback regarding the car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Austrailian review

Telegraph review

Me? I would'nt, but then I'm a fella! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i would stear well clear of anything not popular especially if u buy new as u will take a bath when u sell it. not bad as used as ul pick one up for nothing but make sure it is nothing.
    if u need a cheap new car that holds its money buy a polo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Steer clear of those cheap aisan cars there all just a pile of crap. On a recent epasode of Top Gear they looked at about 20 of these cars including the hyundai getz & couldnt find a decent 1 out of them all! Ud be better off getting a second hand golf or sumthing it will hold its value better as well

i would second that a friend of hired a new hyundai accent. not even 10 miles out of the garage the clutch burned out in it. in fairness hes hard on cars but thats ridiculous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I disagree the Koreans are leading the Asian Automotive renewal and we need to stop listening to that Clarkeston git on the BBC and stop judging cars by location !!

BTW wht are Asian cars the best selling in Ireland ??

VW hehehehhe, built by Truks, designed by Turks.

Get a Getz........... more car for your money, btw its 5k less in Seoul !!! Ahhhhh VRT !!!

• Advertisement

drapper are you going to compensate him/her when they go to sell it in 3 years and theyve lost their shirt on it? and they will lose their shirt cos no bugger wants it.

lomb wrote:
    drapper are you going to compensate him/her when they go to sell it in 3 years and theyve lost their shirt on it? and they will lose their shirt cos no bugger wants it.

There is no second hand market in Irleand full stop as money is cheap !!!! Here is a good link :-

http://www.autofinder.ie/asp1/afmain.asp?lnk=201&make=Hyundai&modelid=864&go.x=15&go.y=12

sh1t sure your saving 2k on a basic polo and your getting more car !!!

and if u read the residual values toward the bottom the getz retains 36% and the polo nearly half. so their is a resale market for vw.
    now i reakon ud have major problems off loading a getz and in the end u will have to settle at 25% whereas the polo will be gone the day u advertise it.
    needless to say im not picking especially on hyundai, but fiat, daewoo, even ford and toyota. the only cars that hold their money in this segment are vw. that is a fact.
    i did say if u read above "not bad as used if u get it for nothing" so im not biased against them. have u noticed the only cars they advertise are the ones no one wants. mercs, vws, bmw all sell themselves. daewoo, subaru, hyundai, and suzuki are desperate to advertise as no one wants their crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

i'd readily agree with the dissenters here. the car seems like great value but they're unreliable, parts are expensive and re-sale is next to nothing (why buy a second hand one when a new one is so cheap). further, they're ugly!!!

lomb wrote:
    and if u read the residual values toward the bottom the getz retains 36% and the polo nearly half. so their is a resale market for vw.
    now i reakon ud have major problems off loading a getz and in the end u will have to settle at 25% whereas the polo will be gone the day u advertise it.
    needless to say im not picking especially on hyundai, but fiat, daewoo, even ford and toyota. the only cars that hold their money in this segment are vw. that is a fact.
    i did say if u read above "not bad as used if u get it for nothing" so im not biased against them. have u noticed the only cars they advertise are the ones no one wants. mercs, vws, bmw all sell themselves. daewoo, subaru, hyundai, and suzuki are desperate to advertise as no one wants their crap.

can everyone afford a BMW, Merc and VW ? no, so save your money and buy small !! and btw the miles per gallon on the Hyundia and the 2k saving at the outset will save you !!! Why wait for the residual !!! have your cake now and eat it !!

As for parts? every tried to buy parts for a BMW or VW?? Actaully ever tried to book a service for a merc or BMW?? Nightmare. Hyundai, Kia and Toyota give miles of waranties and extras!!!

WE ARE SLVES TO BADGES I THINK !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Buying new would be a bad idea but these cars make great second hand cars,if your looking for something cheap and reliable you will do a lot worse than buy one of these!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Drapper wrote:
    can everyone afford a BMW, Merc and VW ?
    new? maybe not. Used? Quite affordable! Once the initial depreciation hit has occured you can find a high quality car for the same price as a new, low quality car.
    Drapper wrote:
    As for parts? every tried to buy parts for a BMW or VW?? Actaully ever tried to book a service for a merc or BMW?? Nightmare. Hyundai, Kia and Toyota give miles of waranties and extras!!!
    I usually buy all my [OEM] parts from a 3rd party supplier. How has servicing been a nightmare? I find it easier and more transparent that from other dealers.
    BMWs tell you what kind of service is needed (Oil, intermediate or major service). You just book it in for the type you want. Compare this to all my experiences of other dealers and their idea of a service is change the oil and plugs,etc. If anything extra needs to be done then they expect you to ask for it which is stupid as most people don't know what is needed. I also recieve itemised invoices for BMW servicing. Compare this to the crappy receipt my father gets of Denis Mahony (for example) which simply states 'full service'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭lilulila

Thanks for feedback lads. I wouldnt be buying brand spanking new was hoping to buy a 03 or 04 with low milage. I would use it mostly as a city car and the odd trip of say 100 miles round trip. I am a serious novice with cars I did see in auto finder the 1.3 version was the recommended one. Its so hard to know though with so many makes of cars to go through. Although it will also be fun with so many cars to test drive he he ;) Any further suggestions will be greatfully appreciated for around the 10k mark

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

lomb wrote:
    daewoo, subaru, hyundai, and suzuki are desperate to advertise as no one wants their crap.

:rolleyes:

If "no-one wants their crap", it's probably because of badge slaves like you...
    but then again - what do you drive? And how long does an Impreza stays FS? :p

the forester, subaru are desperate to sell that bastardised piece of shi^

lilulila wrote:
    Thanks for feedback lads. I wouldnt be buying brand spanking new was hoping to buy a 03 or 04 with low milage. I would use it mostly as a city car and the odd trip of say 100 miles round trip. I am a serious novice with cars I did see in auto finder the 1.3 version was the recommended one. Its so hard to know though with so many makes of cars to go through. Although it will also be fun with so many cars to test drive he he ;) Any further suggestions will be greatfully appreciated for around the 10k mark

dont do it! dont buy a getz. for the 10k mark their are many nice cars. look at resale, this is very important. with the getz u will flush 10k down the lavatory. buy a polo anything really not a getz. for 2 or 3k a getz would be ok as u dont have much to lose then.

ambro25 wrote:
    :rolleyes:

If "no-one wants their crap", it's probably because of badge slaves like you...
    but then again - what do you drive? And how long does an Impreza stays FS? :p

i drive vw and toyota but will buy a merc or bmw soon. real cars................

Hey, lomb - what's a fake, or false, car, then? :rolleyes:

EDIT: So - a polo and a starlet... I understand :p

Can we have a reply slightly more spirited than "anything that hasn't got a target reticle or the stylised propeller of a WWI German Fokker at the end of the bonnet?" please? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Two words for ya Skoda Fabia

Here's some on carzone....
    Here's some on cbg

Excellent value for money car, loads of interior space, VW build without VW price I could go on...

no new golf and corolla. however id prefer a used 7 series or s class (96 or 97) which are cars so superior they shi& all over new corollas, getz, and nearly everything else on the road. i remember driving a 96 s320 and apart from being a smidgen underpowered i felt like KING OF THE ROAD.
    funny thing is they cost no more to run than an ordinary car as they dont depreciate if u buy them right.

• Advertisement

fletch wrote:
    Excellent value for money car, loads of interior space, VW build without VW price I could go on...

If only it wasn't so ugly ...mind you, the Getz is too (magnanimously, I'll give lomb at least that) - but I drove a 2.0 Fabia ( :eek: yes, it had the Golf's GTI engine in - I think the garage was trying a sell job on me ;) ) last year as a courtesy car, and boy did it shift - 'felt scary, actually, I couldn't dissociate the mental image of car from what the speedo said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

It's a matter of taste really ambro25, I happen to think they are a good looking car (with a set of alloys on one of course)
    skoda_fabia_vrs_25_08_03.jpg

Matter of taste entirely, I couldn't agree more...

See, put the right alloys, front fogs and bits of plasitcs on the top-of-the-range car in the line, and any car can look half-decent. Take the 1.0L bogostandardo one, though... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭lilulila

Thanks lads will defo bring a fabia and a polo on a test drive. I could have bought a bmw 318 series cheap off my brother 95 car but in mint condition but he lent it to his knob of a friend and it ended up on its roof and in bits :(

u could always seek out another 318. the north is the best place as ul pick up a good one for buttons. the vrt wont be much. :) cars near 10 years old are worth little or nothing hence the s420 or whatever il buy. have a look at the vrt calculator on revenue site.
    also ur running costs will be low as depreciation will be near zero. quick example is a 95 318IS coupe is 780 euro vrt. u cant really go wrong with a well looked after one. much better buy than any pos getz and good fuel economy.

• Site Banned Posts: 105 ✭✭dark_knight_ire

Be like me and spend a stupid amount of money on a mini cooper S lol at least in 2 years i get a good lot back on the resale

minis do hold their money but dont be surprised to get a shock. a friend of mine bought a mini in 03 with every option although it wasnt the s version. was a year old and they got it for 10000 less thean a guy paid for it 6 months earlier. i personally think thats shocking depreciation. id much rather spend the money fueling a V8 in a car that wont depreciate.

Advertisement