Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army Firing Range

Options
  • 09-01-2005 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

there is an army firing range near me (co. louth) which would be very convenient for my target shooting as there are no clubs in the area. what are the chances of obtaining permission to use the range when it is vacant? (army only use it once a week)
    i suppose there would be an insurance issue, but what if i had my own insurance cover? who would i need to contact to seek permission to use the range? or would it be a waste of time? any opinions welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I doubt it, haveing your own insurance may help but the Army is very wary of claims, but you dont know till you try. Id suggest you contact the office of the GOC Eastern Brigade. I think they are based in Army HQ in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bardfast

thanks, Rew, nothing ventured, nothing gained i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

From what I understand, it's at the sole discretion of the base commandant, so if he says yes, you're sucking diesel. Mind you, I've not heard of it happening in the last few years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

By the sounds of it its not a range in a camp its one of the standalone ones. Most things (squash courts etc.) are specfically up to the CO. There is a bigger issue with a range. As it is the Army will put out warning flags and signs not to mention sentries to warn the range is in use. Thats isn't the case if a civilian was using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bernard93

bardfast,

youre up my way if you get any joy and you need a target puller as you shoot and vice versa give me a shout, it would be a great place to go to test loads and the like.

Are you thinking about Gormanston or is there somewere else?

bernard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 windows311

Not wishing to dampen your hopes.

Based on past experience with the Irish Defence Forces, and assuming that you are a civilian, I'd say that this is a non runner.

However, if you are a member of the RDF or PDF and involved in competitive shooting, an activity that the Defence Forces might like to be associated with, then this is a definite runner, but for a civilian with no Defence Force connection - then highly unlikely.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 windows311

Try Comber Rifle Club http://www.comberrifleclub.com.

I believe that I came across a mention that these guys train at the British Army's Ballykinlar Range. Some web postings suggest that people from outside NI have shot at this range and membership of their club may be a possibility...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Horeb

bardfast wrote:
    there is an army firing range near me (co. louth) which would be very convenient for my target shooting as there are no clubs in the area. what are the chances of obtaining permission to use the range when it is vacant? (army only use it once a week)
    i suppose there would be an insurance issue, but what if i had my own insurance cover? who would i need to contact to seek permission to use the range? or would it be a waste of time? any opinions welcome!

I assume you are talking about the Red Barns Road Range, My advice is not to go onto as your not insured, also there could be unexploded muntions on it and it is regularly check by the MSG from the 27 BN in Aiken Barracks the Land behind it is common land and can be used, the army will not give permission to have civilans there eventhough it can be easily accessed from the shore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Horeb

Other thing about that range is that the army are seeking to prosecute people as signs has been shot to bits by muppets and also the range being vanadalised.

Even if your in the army you legally cannot be on the range unless it is official business, I used it ten years ago whilst being a soldier but even at that it was frowned upon, so I had to take up practice on the foreshore, when I got a foreshore permit, this can be got from any gun club in Dundalk for free.

Advertisement