Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bmw questions again!

Options
  • 09-01-2005 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

hi folks

i got a thermostat from a moto factors for the 316i but its the wrong darn part. fcuk that, the thermo on the car is siezed.

do i need to replace the hosing connecting the thermo with the fan as well?

also im not sure if the service indicators are working, how can i change the battery on the circuit board, these are probably worn out, are they behind the instrument cluster?

do i need a fuel pump and fan belt as well someone told me?

where can i get these parts <resonably> cheap?

and finally, i got 120watt pioneer speakers, are these better than the ones on the car at the moment, i cant see bog all cos the the speaker surround (1994 car), how on earth can you upgrade speakers.?

thanks for the help and sorry for all the q's/.. <><

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

You don't have to replace the hose. The new thermostat just slots into the old hose. Make sure that the thermostat you have is the right temperature for your car. It may say it on the 'stat what temp it opens at. Maybe compare this with the figure on the old 'stat assuming the old one is the correct type :)

Also, make sure to insert the new 'stat the right way around. the heat "sensor" part should be faced toward the engine side, not the radiator side.

BrianD3

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1. Brian mentioned about the stat. Just make sure you replace any gaskets.
    2. Service indiactors rely on rechargeable batteries which by now are possibly dead. Have a look at www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=5168&PN=1
    3. fuel pump and fan belt - why? Is your pump not working? Fan belt may require changing but it isn't too tricky to replace.
    4. German & Swedish
    Unit 9,
    Oak Road Business Park,
    Nangor Road,
    DUBLIN 12,
    01 460 6062
    www.gsfcarparts.com

or

OTTO German Car Parts
    119 Ranelagh
    Dublin 6
    and
    Liosban Industrial Estate
    Tuam Road
    Galway
    01-4967420

5. Speakers? Absolutely no idea. What model is yours - E30?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

hi kbannon

how did u go from a ITR to a bmw know it all......!?

mine is a e36, a m43 engine i think?

all the models and engine types in bmws would drive you mad.

im in kerry,i will see if i can source parts from a bmw dealer around here

speakers are closed in a moulded unit in the rear boot. the front ones a small yokes in the doors, they look like tweeters...........!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

hi kbannon

how did u go from a ITR to a bmw know it all......!?

LOL wouldn't have thought kbannon did, but in that case it would be progression alright ;) *

* Why oh why do those Japanese companies keep puking out white horrible looking cars that only work when you rev them over 5000 rpm :dunno:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ITR? BTW, I don't know it all - I just pretend I do! :)
    You can order by mail order from GSF in Dublin or from Euro Car Parts (www.eurocarparts.com) in Belfast. [Personally I would go with the latter.]
    Ordering from them should still save you money compared to buying OEM parts elsewhere!

• Advertisement
Advertisement