Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vibration from front wheels under breaking

Options
  • 09-01-2005 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

hi

just noticed over the last few weeks...i've a vibration from the front wheels when i apply the breaks at highish speed....say breaking down from 60.

are my beaks going or something??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

either ur break discs are warped or ur suspension has problems like bearings gone in wheels etc. take ur front wheels off and see whether ur brake discs are very thin or damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

or you could get your wheels balanced!!

any tyre centre will do it for bout a fiver a wheel!!

if that doesn't work then go gettin your hands dirty!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Could be any of the above. The fact that you only notice it when braking and at the front, would suggest the problem is the front disks. You probably have drums at the back. It could be wear on the discs, and they could be warped aswell. Either way you're going to have to get it fixed. I do it as soon as you can. Probably cost 150-200 ish. Depends on the car and where you get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

If you haven't already done so, check the treads on your front tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

It sounds like warped discs to me. If the problem was wheel balancing, then the vibration would occur all the time, not just when braking. Being hard on the brakes can cause this, among other things like a slightly buckled wheel.

DC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

sound lads

i got the cv joints done about a month ago....they knackered a bearing doing the job so i got that replaced......maybe they did a job on me discs aswell...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

i'd say Discs and pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭cr

sounds like the shocks need looking at!

dcGT wrote:
    If the problem was wheel balancing, then the vibration would occur all the time, not just when braking.
    DC.

not necessarily dc!!

a slightly buckled wheel could be a cause of this though!!

what I'm sayin though is get em balanced before you go tryin anythin else!!

new discs and pads are an expensive way of figuring out you've a buckled/out of balance wheel but not so expensive the other way around!!

that's like rushing to hospital with a heart problem to find out you've indegestion(sp)!!!

all i know is i used to drive an old 87 corolla. and it did this as well on top of 1. dody shocks 2. cheap tires with different tread patterns. 3. stearing wheel vibrated as well when slowing down.

this car nearly killed me. i was driving up the wicklow mountains wen around a gentle bend at a moderate speed( not that fast) and the car decided to spin around , hit a kerb and roll.

my advice is to have it looked at pronto before u find urself upside down.

• Advertisement

sympathise with your situation lomb!!

same thing happened my dad down in kildare ere in a 205!!

I was bout 5 mins behind him on the road and I was eatin the road out of it when I seen his toolbox on the side of the road and 4 wheels pointing up!!

I never liked cheap cars or cheap tyres but he knows better now!!

but I'm just saying to the original poster to start with the smaller job and work up!!

smokey2 wrote:

I was bout 5 mins behind him on the road and I was eatin the road out of it when I seen his toolbox on the side of the road and 4 wheels pointing up!!

thats funny. cheap cars with cheap tires are a recipe for disaster thats for sure. Thank god modern cars are incredibly surefooted. i was doing 90 mph some years ago in a 98 corolla (dont do that anymore obviously) and was going round a bend way too fast that i didnt see as it was dark. surprisingly insted of me hitting a tree and killing me apart from alot of screeching the car stuck to the road like glue thank god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The problem is not the cheap tires :rolleyes:

how do u know the balance could be way off.....

Advertisement