Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DITSU : Where's me shops???

Options
  • 09-01-2005 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

DITSU issued a press release on Christmas Eve detailing that the current round of talks to end the crisis regarding DITSU Trading have collapsed. The planned intervention by the Institute in the crisis has transpired to be illegal. In light of this one has to wonder who would fill the vacuum left by a total collapse of DITSU Trading and also at how this crisis happened in the first place.

Most students I have spoken to are genuinely concerned at the prospect of Campbell Catering taking over the role of the SU shops. This attitude towards Campbell Catering can be found amongst most who have sampled their luncheon fair, be it the half plates of mush upstairs or the soggy messes of paninis downstairs. This is the attitude that originally inspired DITSU's unfortunate sortie into the world of catering. DITSU had hoped that their supposed successes with the Mountjoy Sq canteen would give them an edge in a battle for the DIT canteens.

At the start of this academic year Campbell's Java City started to offer some of the products formerly offered by the SU shop. It is quite possible that Campbell's would jump at the opportunity of managing the campus shops should DITSU Trading cease to operate completely. Java City is a prime example of how we don't wan't our campus shops to be run. Vast queues at peak times for coffee of questionable quality and when your coffee finally arrives its stolen because there is no way of knowing what's what and who it belongs to.

With the current crisis in DITSU and systems which seem to offer no accountibility, officers serving a one year term and leaving a trail of destruction behind them, one can justifiably question whether DITSU has any business in commercial activity. What guarantee can DITSU give students that should our capitation fees and PAYE money be used to bail the Union out that the same situation won't transpire all over again.

Traditionally students have treated the SU and SU activities with a certain level of contempt, except of course for one week in February every year, whatever reason for this disregard one of its symptoms is an apathy towards student politics. This apathy can only serve to worsen the situation at DITSU. If the shops begin to be run solely for profit something will have to give, either we will have to settle for inferior products or pay higher prices. If this happens not only will our capitation fees and PAYE money have been wasted but we will also get robbed everytime we buy a packets of crisps or a paper.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭smelly girl

Three words for DITSU. Piss up, Brewery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Are the pool tables closed? Thats crazy what did the students do? Have to admit tho the canteen food isnt that bad, try kevin st if u want bad :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

i think the food in Kevin St is lovely.... mixed pasta in tomato sauce wit mushrooms and peppers...YUMMY!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Repli wrote:
    Are the pool tables closed? Thats crazy what did the students do? Have to admit tho the canteen food isnt that bad, try kevin st if u want bad :P

It's a rip-off compared to places like UL though.

UL is run by Campbell's too as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The pool tables in Bolton St. were reopened on Monday for free and there were doing something in the shop but I don't know what.

and cambell catering do **** food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

ballooba wrote:
    It's a rip-off compared to places like UL though.

UL is run by Campbell's too as far as I know.

Yep, there is a Campbells canteen here. I keep away :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

Cathal Brugha has very nice Canteen food indeed.....for obvious reasons!!!
    Whats the point in "closing" the pool tables???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

The shelves in the Kevin street shop are all full with nice goodies, should be open in the next few days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Was at a class rep meeting last week and they said the shops should be open on Monday. So heres hoping it finally does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Yuss! Hopefully tomorrow, i need somewhere handy to buy me water bottles for me hangova! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭monster_fighter

orla wrote:
    i think the food in Kevin St is lovely.... mixed pasta in tomato sauce wit mushrooms and peppers...YUMMY!

Oh sweet Jesus...

Those mushy vats of sludge are fifty percent of the reason I am now a UCD student...

voice in back of head(....they think I'm joking..., fools...)

It's ****ing ****e. We've been promised at least the shop being reopened last wednesday but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

there back tomorrow, well in kevin street anyway.

Ours I think is back, we spoke to the woman and she guaranteed it...thats in Cathal Brugha st anyway!

Yeah we finally got our shop.

Got the auld shop back, but then in the SU, we saw "lovely" signs saying that the pool tables were not in use "abuse by the students".......bastardos!

Advertisement