Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wanna Breeze this... but will I?

• 09-01-2005 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I'm going Broadband in Dublin. I can't take this journey alone. Join me.

Having studied a number of options, I am about - unless you tell me otherwise - to apply for Irish Broadband Breeze 1MB Lite.

This is for a home office; I'm located in Beaumont; I wanna pay in or around EUR40/45 per month; I want reliable service/very little downtime if any; I don't wish to use a phoneline; need quick response (read: no satellite option preferably).

Does this all sound about right, and are any of my fellow boards.iers Beaumont located (Ivy Court)?

Can I ask you, if the installation referred to here: http://www.irishbroadband.ie/pdf/instal_guidlines.pdf refers to the installation of the Breeze product from Irish Broadband? (Details installation of Cradle, Pole and Antenna, Waterproof Box, Cabling etc.)

Also, what is the different between Breeze Home, and Breeze Home Plus as detailed in IBB's order form?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭wrafter

Actually, just a thought, is there a cap on downloads per month with IBB?

If so, who doesn't have a cap?

(NTL Cable is unavailable in the area in question.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

i am thinking about getting it too,It is uncapped

What are you running currently powerhousedan? (You certain about it being uncapped, I see nothing on their site? (but I've just been on eircom.nets and they're offering a cap of 4gb down and 1gb up. The up particularly is laughable.))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

wrafter wrote:
    What are you running currently powerhousedan? (You certain about it being uncapped, I see nothing on their site? (but I've just been on eircom.nets and they're offering a cap of 4gb down and 1gb up. The up particularly is laughable.))

this info is on the site:
    Irish Broadband Residential service will give you: -
    Always on Internet access.
    Super high-speed connection.
    Unlimited downloading capabilities - no download caps!
    Real time delivery of email.
    Wireless Internet access = the ability to use your telephone and the Internet at the same time.

Ripwave™ Product
    € 29.99 per month - less that € 1 per day!
    No contract.
    No Engineer installation required (self install).
    Asynchronous service - 512Kbps downloads, 128Kbps uploads.
    Dynamic IP address.

Breeze Lite Product
    € 48.40 per month.
    Fully 1024Kbps synchronous service - same speed upstream as downstream.
    Very low contention with excellent quality service.
    Quick installation.
    Fixed IP address.

using breeze currently, got it installed b4 xmas. it's been great so far, no downtime etc. been dloading loads of stuff since i got it.

Thanks for the reply wanwarlock, it's appreciated. I very much wanted to speak with someone on the service.

So you're paying EUR48.40 per month then? Is that Breeze Home, or Breeze Home Plus (their order form makes a distinction, you see.)

And they stuck an aerial on your roof, right?

Can I ask how long it took them to get you up and running from application submission to live date?

And finally, do you have one or more machines hooked up to the net connection in your house? (will I be able to get a router running and hook up two PCs, do you know??)

Thanks again for reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

i am with utv.Apparently Installation is free for students with ibb,so if it is i will move there

wrafter wrote:
    Thanks for the reply wanwarlock, it's appreciated. I very much wanted to speak with someone on the service.

So you're paying EUR48.40 per month then? Is that Breeze Home, or Breeze Home Plus (their order form makes a distinction, you see.)

And they stuck an aerial on your roof, right?

Can I ask how long it took them to get you up and running from application submission to live date?

And finally, do you have one or more machines hooked up to the net connection in your house? (will I be able to get a router running and hook up two PCs, do you know??)

Thanks again for reply.

yup, i paying e48.40 + installation for this month. i didn't know about the free installation for students until today when i was looking at boards.ie!!! dammit! there's 8 of us in the house, all students!! might ask for a rebate if it's possible.

i think i put down breeze home, don't actually, try ringing them and ask for the difference.

it took me less than 3 weeks i think from posting the form. if u ring them that's also what you're going to hear from them, 2-3 weeks becos we have some backlogs etc. but they came in the end! :D

they come around and stuck the antenna on the roof and drilled a hole to bring the cable in.

we're currently using a linksys wrt54g router connecting 1 wired pc, 3 wireless laptops + 1 wired laptop. so yes u can use a router.

wanwarlock wrote:
    we're currently using a linksys wrt54g router connecting 1 wired pc, 3 wireless laptops + 1 wired laptop. so yes u can use a router.

Impressive! You should get yourself featured in an Irish computer mag - sounds great! :-) Bet you've got great LAN parties. And if you want to talk to one of the other lads - forget the climb up the stairs - just pop onto messenger!

Thanks for the information. It's appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I think they throttle p2p though don't they?

i don;t know but i'm using bit torrent + kazaa lite and it seems to be working ok. got great dload speeds...

• Advertisement

wanwarlock wrote:
    i don;t know but i'm using bit torrent + kazaa lite and it seems to be working ok. got great dload speeds...

are you using them a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Sounds to me to be OK. I've never heard of throttling being associated with IBB CyberGhost.

CyberGhost wrote:
    are you using them a lot?

definitely!!!!!!! i probably can't say what i've dloaded here :D but i've been dloading quite a lot, i'd say about 10G's worth since we got it mid december

Gaming wouldn't be a priority for me; but I like my Soulseek. But caps are important nonetheless as I transfer a lot of files (non-warez/mp3s) due to work-related stuff. Good to know there no cap, and speeds are high. I'm submitting my application tomorrow once I discover what the difference between Breeze Home and Breeze Home Plus is.

wrafter wrote:
    Gaming wouldn't be a priority for me; but I like my Soulseek. But caps are important nonetheless as I transfer a lot of files (non-warez/mp3s) due to work-related stuff. Good to know there no cap, and speeds are high. I'm submitting my application tomorrow once I discover what the difference between Breeze Home and Breeze Home Plus is.

contention ratio, breeze is imhp 20:1, plus is 8:1 but I may be wrong

one more thing, I have read many times guys here complaining about slow downs to like 4kb/s, of course they don't do it on purpose.

that's why I didn't sign up with them first of all

Just made a call to IBB this morning, quick pick up, no wait time, but it was sales :-)

Anyways, the Breeze Home offer has been removed from the market; Breeze Home Plus is all that remains, which the salesperson states is faster and more reliable.

He says they're quoting three weeks turnaround currently between application and installation.

It's January 10th now, I'm making my application this morning. In theory I should have this by month's end - January 31st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

wrafter wrote:
    He says they're quoting three weeks turnaround currently between application and installation.

It's January 10th now, I'm making my application this morning. In theory I should have this by month's end - January 31st.

IBB's weeks are different to normal weeks. I think there are about 30 normal days in the IBB week, so expect the install in about 3 months.

My sales representative has told me that my account has been set up, which is a quick turnaround - it's now with the scheduling department. However, by email I've been now told that installation is taking 3 to 4 weeks in my area. That's a week more than I was informed by phone this morning. Date now somewhere between January 31st and February 7th. I'll ring next week to query the status of my order.

What are the ping times like on IBB? I have a satellite connection and the ping times usually average at about 600-700ms!

I'm just curious since it is a wireless connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

IBB have the lowest pings around I think. Your satellite connection is so slow because of the couple of hundred miles the signal has to fly around ;)

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote:
    What are the ping times like on IBB? I have a satellite connection and the ping times usually average at about 600-700ms!

I'm just curious since it is a wireless connection.

1. this is from http://www.u.tv/speedtest/:

948592 bytes transferred in 9.079 secs

816 kbit

2. ping jolt.co.uk

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=56

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=56

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=56

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 26ms, Average = 19ms

3. ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.130] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=58

Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.130:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 9ms, Average = 8ms

is this slow???? hmmmmm maybe because i just got the connection..... will have to wait to see if it's ok

edit: results were with 2 dloads using kazaa (20kbps)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

948592 bytes transferred in 9.079 secs

816 kbit
    Thats pretty much what you'd expect to get on a 1meg service. As for kazaa being slow, well, i don't know. Maybe you need to get a more popular file.

Best speed test is to download a file in a download accelerator and use multiple sources. But the speedtest you did shows up fine.

what i meant by adding the kazaa bit was to show that that's the speed that i got while using kazaa,

maybe it would be faster if i wasn't dloading

Kudos to IBB, my broadband is up and running.

To recap. I ordered by email on Monday January 10th. I received a phonecall to arrange installation on Monday January 17th. Installation carried out on Wednesday January 19th.

Very impressed.

Advertisement