Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

White noise

• 09-01-2005 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I went to see this film two nights ago and I thought it was very good and genuinely frightening at times, one of the better horror movies released in recent times.

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, I liked it too. Genuinely unsettling in places. You're staring at the static to see if you can make any shapes out, then
    you hear a loud noise and see a scary face and you jump (standard mind f*ck scare tactics, but works very well in this movie).

The one thing I was disappointed with was
    no explanation for who the 3 silhouettes were
    . Ah well.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I enjoyed it, but agree with TmB's second spoiler. Overall good though, and it's great to see Michael Keaton in something again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I do like Keaton but I thought this movie was terrible. I mean you know something's going to
    pop at the screen
    . I was really dissapointed and I didn't think it was that scary. A loud and sudden thud now and again isn't enough for me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The three guys were three evil dead feckers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

a scary face jumps at the screen? Wow that's original, get scare tactic ideas of your own Keaton
    . It looks terrible so I won't be watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

goin to see it in an hour or so it better be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

saw this film on friday, tad bit jumpy, but predictable jumpy.... not scary at all, i laughed in places. kept on thinking keaton was gonna turn around and say "i'm batman". Overall I thought it was rank and at the end I was just annoyed at certain aspects of the film.
    the bit when yer one jumps off the balcony and then she wakes up in the hospital... I would have asked her why she jumped/fell, why she got out there in the first place?!?!

and what are the 3 ghosts things up to? why do they need that guy to bring them people? who are they? why do they need to kill people?

thought it was reasonably creepy worth watchin but only in the cinema would be fairly rubbish without a big screen and a great sound system.

this spoiler will ruin the film though:
    micheal keaton kinda looks like kevin spacie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

It's good to see that Hollywood hasn't been sitting back through the current wave of Asian horror, waiting for the chance to start producing more Scream sequels. It's actually started taking notes as to what makes them so appealing to audiences, and as a first attempt at an original piece, it's not bad. It does occasionally rely on old staples, like sudden noises and jump-cuts, and these tend to ruin any tension they'd worked so hard to create. it's a shame, because the rest of the film works pretty well without them.

Bad points about the film: stupid camerawork. Occasionally braindead dialogue. Bad-to-so-so acting from the leads.

One thing I'm enjoying immensely is the backlash from the otaku about the asian influence in the movie. Nothing makes me giggle more than a bunch of weenies stamping their feet over something like this.

As a fan of Asian cinema, I liked the Asian influence, definitely, and I'm glad it wasn't just a remake or carbon-copy of films released there. It's definitely a step in the right direction (away from teen-scream horror flicks).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Saw this last night. Didn't find this scary at all, the attempts are scariness were very predictable. I found it extremely boring if anything. Dissapointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

mayordenis wrote:
    <snip>
    this spoiler will ruin the film though:
    micheal keaton kinda looks like kevin spacie

ROFL!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

this was such a terrible film. I really like Michael Keaton but this film was just awful. Too many plot holes and stuff that just didn't make sense, and they seemed to presume they could get away without explaining what happened but it didn't work. Save your money people ..wait for Team America which i think will be well worth a watch. hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

Dr. Dodger wrote:
    this was such a terrible film. I really like Michael Keaton but this film was just awful. Too many plot holes and stuff that just didn't make sense, and they seemed to presume they could get away without explaining what happened but it didn't work. Save your money people ..wait for Team America which i think will be well worth a watch. hopefully

Don't hold your breath for Team America, I was Disappointed in it, And I love
    south park. White noise was..Okay.ish. Check out the EVP Websites, If the movie did not scare you these will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Dr. Dodger wrote:
    Save your money people ..wait for Team America which i think will be well worth a watch. hopefully
    Regardless of whether you thought White Noise was a good movie, why on earth would you compare it to Team America? "Don't buy that book - buy this lump of cheese instead."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

I think some people over analise films and ruin it for themselves, stop thinking about it so much and just enjoy it.

yeah what a random comparison

funnily enough just watched team america - (dvd-r screener floating about) - thought it had one joke which was funny for about 30 seconds (or just about the length of the trailer for the movie).

Word.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    funnily enough just watched team america - (dvd-r screener floating about)

"DVD Screener" the +/- bit is only the disc you burn it to the info on it is the same either way.

Rew wrote:
    "DVD Screener" the +/- bit is only the disc you burn it to the info on it is the same either way.
    You are on the ball tonight! Thanks fúck you were around to save the day.

• Advertisement

Your welcome... ;)

Rew wrote:
    Your welcome... ;)
    correction.... "YOU'RE WELCOME"

Just for completion I'll direct your eyes to what two popular scene release sites refer to movies on dvd as...

izo.gifnfo.gif

That's right DVD-R, perhaps to distinguish Recordable DVDs from DVD Rips. Maybe I wasn't referring to the format of the media.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Just for completion I'll direct your eyes to what two popular scene release sites refer to movies on dvd as...

izo.gifnfo.gif

That's right DVD-R, perhaps to distinguish Recordable DVDs from DVD Rips. Maybe I wasn't referring to the format of the media.

Its more the combination of "screener" and "DVD-R".

From the NFO "Team.America.DVDScreener.DVDR-BooZerS" but to be fair I can see where you would get confused even vcd quality use DVD-R on their menu.

Rew wrote:
    Its more the combination of "screener" and "DVD-R".

From the NFO "Team.America.DVDScreener.DVDR-BooZerS" but to be fair I can see where you would get confused even vcd quality use DVD-R on their menu.
    Moreso "I confused you" than "I was confused".

I used DVD-R to suggest that it was the DVD copy instead of the Xvid rip also floating about.

Thats a fair point that I hadn't considered but id stick with how the "scene" distinguishes between them my self, just to avoid confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Saw 'White Noise' today -- quite enjoyed it, even though I wasn't expecting to.
    Not explaining who the ghosts were past 'they're evil ghosts', works just fine for me. Minimal information can be an asset! I'm also glad that they didn't waste their time trying to make them look scary up close á la 'Jeepers Creepers'. Barely seeing much of them apart from some hazy static images & shadows worked imo. Although I would've ended the movie after Keaton died, and just as the killer guy was advancing on the kidnapped woman BEFORE the boring SWAT team arrived. And as for the risable funeral (3rd in the movie) and message for the kid *puke*

Of course, there were a few plotholes and predictable jumpy scares, but most of them worked quite well. I thought the general nervous mood of the movie whenever static screens were involved was well-maintained, and held my interest for the duration.

Overall, a decent enough effort for a modern, non-remake Hollywood horror.
    Do not expect to hear anything the first time you tape, or perhaps the ten times after that. It seems to take about two weeks before most tapers get anything, or before their ear has been trained to distinguish a spirit voice, which might sound like a whisper, be low and tonal in pitch, be faster or slower than normal speech, or oddly accented. If you are successful, you will undoubtedly hear voices uttering strange, seemingly unintelligible words and phrases. You may hear calls for help from distressed souls. You may never receive messages from the people (in spirit) you love best, or if you do, you may hear from them only once or infrequently
    Quote from an EVP Website... seems creepy with or without having seen the movie!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

is he really any good?

has he been in anything good lately

remember Pacific Heights...?

great pyscho , but can't do that for the rest of his life

• Advertisement

I thought he was decent enough in 'White Noise' yeah. Apparently this is his first movie to make it into theatres since 'Jack Frost', that crap one where he dies and comes back as a CGI snowman to see his family @ Christmas time. :rolleyes:

It's a shame, I like Michael Keaton. I hear he wants to do another Beetlejuice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

TCamen wrote:
    I thought he was decent enough in 'White Noise' yeah. Apparently this is his first movie to make it into theatres since 'Jack Frost', that crap one where he dies and comes back as a CGI snowman to see his family @ Christmas time. :rolleyes:

OMG that sounds horrendous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

What do you make of the 'actual' EVP recordings used in the film (or the trailer anyway) i.e. 'get out of my house' and ' I will see you no more'?

What do you make of the 'actual' EVP recordings used in the film (or the trailer anyway) i.e. 'get out of my house' and ' I will see you no more'?

As someone said, the real EVP websites are pretty creepy, as was the
    information @ the end of the movie with the statistic about most EVP recordings being threatening in nature!

I don't think I'd like to be in a room with static-y TVs and have voices start to come through, let alone images! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Perhaps the most fascinating incident of high-tech paranormal communication may have occurred with science fiction author Philip K. Dick around 1974. Dick claims to have been 'zapped' with a pink laser beam which communicated information to him and created brilliant visual hallucinations which looked like "Russian nonobjective modern paintings." While PKD ascribed this contact to an alien satellite from Sirius which he called VALIS, he at other times also suggested that it might be a contact from some sort of spiritual being (in his Exegesis he talks about conversations with a 1st-century Christian named Thomas.) Shortly after the 2-74 experience, PKD also reported that his radio and other devices began shouting threatening messages at him, even when turned off. At other points, he often told friends of his theory that the origin of this beam may have been psychotronics researchers in the Soviet Union experimenting with ELF mind-control. This is an idea we will return to later...

From one of the many whacko sites on google about this. LOL.

• Advertisement

Perhaps the most fascinating incident of high-tech paranormal communication may have occurred with science fiction author Philip K. Dick around 1974. Dick claims to have been 'zapped' with a pink laser beam which communicated information to him and created brilliant visual hallucinations which looked like "Russian nonobjective modern paintings." While PKD ascribed this contact to an alien satellite from Sirius which he called VALIS, he at other times also suggested that it might be a contact from some sort of spiritual being (in his Exegesis he talks about conversations with a 1st-century Christian named Thomas.) Shortly after the 2-74 experience, PKD also reported that his radio and other devices began shouting threatening messages at him, even when turned off. At other points, he often told friends of his theory that the origin of this beam may have been psychotronics researchers in the Soviet Union experimenting with ELF mind-control. This is an idea we will return to later...

Those damned queers and their pink lasers beams! *ZAP* :p

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Regardless of whether you thought White Noise was a good movie, why on earth would you compare it to Team America? "Don't buy that book - buy this lump of cheese instead."

When did I compare the two movies dick. What I said was

"Save your money people ..wait for Team America which i think will be well worth a watch. hopefully" as in don't waste 8 euro to go see a rubish film, wait a week and go see Team America, which by the way I seen last night and thought it was really good. It is all a matter of taste and thats fine but I really thought White noise was a rubish film and for enjoyment Team America Kicks its ass... Fu*k Yeah!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Dr. Dodger wrote:
    When did I compare the two movies dick. What I said was

"Save your money people ..wait for Team America which i think will be well worth a watch. hopefully" as in don't waste 8 euro to go see a rubish film, wait a week and go see Team America, which by the way I seen last night and thought it was really good. It is all a matter of taste and thats fine but I really thought White noise was a rubish film and for enjoyment Team America Kicks its ass... Fu*k Yeah!!

And what if people have enough money to go see both films eh ?

go see Team America Twice ... of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Yeah, I'm going to have to go against (what the hell?) the trend here and say that this movie is absolutely pathetic. Subsequently, I'll expand on Dr. Dodger's comments by saying to do anything with your money BUT spend it on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I liked this movie, but generally not a fan of horrors.

(By the way, I've always found that laughing at films [that aren't supposed to be funny] ranks up with shouting and answering phones in the how to be ignorant in the cinema stakes. If you don't like a movie you should leave, and let other people trying to enjoy it in peace.)

yes i always think its better to try and keep all emotions and natural reactions to yourself when at the cinema??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Dr. Dodger wrote:
    yes i always think its better to try and keep all emotions and natural reactions to yourself when at the cinema??

I always think it's better to have respect for other people that have paid to watch a film.

Advertisement