Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chess sets

• 10-01-2005 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Looking for a quality chess set for my nephew (yes, my sister has raised a nerd, bad sister, bad ;)

I figured going online was my best bet, but someone might know of a good shop in the city that do 'em.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

corblimey wrote:
    Looking for a quality chess set for my nephew (yes, my sister has raised a nerd, bad sister, bad ;)

I figured going online was my best bet, but someone might know of a good shop in the city that do 'em.

Someone told me Pinocchio's is still open (they're closing down). Its across from Bully's on Paul St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭iceman_2001_ie

Pinnochio's is CLOSING!!!

That shop is soooooo cool.

Bummer :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I was in there on Saturday & didn't see anything about it closing - but its still open for now anyways

In fairness, the person who told me Pinoccio's was closing also told me that the Jazz festival wouldn't be held in Cork anymore (who's the muppet? me or them!)

I hope it isn't closing - does anyone remember Kethiner's restaurant on the same street. Long since closed [SOB!]. Gone but not forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

How much are you willing to spend, because the Edman Collection do an absolutely class range. The downside is that they are quite pricey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

dudara wrote:
    How much are you willing to spend, because the Edman Collection do an absolutely class range. The downside is that they are quite pricey.
    Yeah, I don't like him that much :D. Also, not sure about the themes, would prefer a plain chess-looking chess set.

I will try Pinocchio's on Saturday. Ta.

corblimey wrote:
    Yeah, I don't like him that much :D. Also, not sure about the themes, would prefer a plain chess-looking chess set.

I will try Pinocchio's on Saturday. Ta.

Just remembered they have sets in The Early Learning Centre in Maylor St. as well.

Trivia: the standard chess set is called a Staunton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

hey hey hey, go to the gadget shop in dub or if u know anyone in dub get them to go and get the chess drinking set, all the pieces are shot glasses and the board is a nice glass one. its real classy. would also get your sis back for raising a nerd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

If there where no nerds this forum would not exist.

Tomk1 wrote:
    If there where no nerds this forum would not exist.

I agree completely! Without nerds we'd have no computers, no DVDs, no iPods, no cinema, no radios, no TVs (!), no fridges, no electricity etc. etc.
    I bet the first cave-man to pick up a stick was dubbed a nerd!!

Anyway, chess isn't nerdy:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1834

A quick Google shows she's a genuine supermodel:
    http://www.supermodelguide.com/supermodels/carmen.html

So there we have it nerds are indispensible and sexy. Case closed. ;)

One last link. Don't forget there's a big chess tournament in Cork this year:
    http://corkchess.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

just off top of my head other realms? Down paul street. If not theres a place around the corner from tubes, kinda novelty shop that have chess boards. Dunno what its called but on smae street as gingerbread... Try smyths too, you never know...

Or would that giftshop near the top of Oliver Plunkett Street have anything? It's at the grand parade end?

Had to plug the Edman collection, I used to work there as an undergrad making the chess sets and Lotd of the Rings figures.

Skud wrote:
    If not theres a place around the corner from tubes, kinda novelty shop that have chess boards.

It's called Pinochio's I think. :rolleyes:

The poster might be thinking of Tenko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

that would explain alot :p

where's the knitting map when you need it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Skud wrote:
    just off top of my head other realms? Down paul street. If not theres a place around the corner from tubes, kinda novelty shop that have chess boards. Dunno what its called but on smae street as gingerbread... Try smyths too, you never know...

FYI Other Realms has moved, it's now inside the Paul Street Shopping Centre, upstairs where that shop for large women used to be (not very PC i know! :p )

In fairness though, it was a shop for large women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

dudara wrote:
    In fairness though, it was a shop for large women

Yeah but sometimes comments like that have gotten me drubbed over the head with a handbag. Just like a previous post on boards many years ago...

Person A: "Yeah they blur peoples mouths on MTV so deaf people can't lip read the person using foul language"

Me (looking confused): "Um why would a deaf person be watching MTV?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Tenko on paul st has some nice chess sets. Rocket on oliver p st at the grande parade end might have some but i doubt it! you could also try Mad on north main st. im fairly sure they have novelty ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Can't remember the name of it but there is a shop with some nice wooden toys and chess sets on Prince's Street halfway from Oliver Plunkett Steet to South Mall on right.

Joyce's isn't it? The old-fashioned toy shop.

Advertisement