Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gpu temperature question

Options
  • 10-01-2005 3:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

just wondering does anyone know what the max temperature my gpu on my graphics card should be i,m trying a bit of overclocking on it(its a msi radeon x800xt pe) and also whats the best program to use for oc i,m using ati tool and rivatuner.any help would be appreciated thanks. ps.whats max temp for cards memory too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

According to ATI, its safe up to 90C or 100C. I cant remember which is it. But generally, I wouldnt recommend going that high. My card does go up to 80C on certain games which I know is high and thats on stock speed and stock fan. I'm going to upgrade the fan though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭dixsey

neokenzo wrote:
    According to ATI, its safe up to 90C or 100C. I cant remember which is it. But generally, I wouldnt recommend going that high. My card does go up to 80C on certain games which I know is high and thats on stock speed and stock fan. I'm going to upgrade the fan though.
    thanks in ati tool,s artifact test mine reaches 74c i thought that was too high.im using stock fan too is it difficult to add a new fan,its sounds a bit dodgy and i dont want to break my card

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

dixsey wrote:
    just wondering does anyone know what the max temperature my gpu on my graphics card should be i,m trying a bit of overclocking on it(its a msi radeon x800xt pe) and also whats the best program to use for oc i,m using ati tool and rivatuner.any help would be appreciated thanks. ps.whats max temp for cards memory too.

dont let it go past 70C otherwise you'll dimish the life expectancy of your card

dixsey wrote:
    thanks in ati tool,s artifact test mine reaches 74c i thought that was too high.im using stock fan too is it difficult to add a new fan,its sounds a bit dodgy and i dont want to break my card

Tell me about it. I bought an Arctic Silencer version 4 only to realise that they include ram coolers. That means I have to put some kind of goo on the ram. Was thinking of getting watercooling soon so kinda not sure to put on the Arctic Silencer or not.

neokenzo wrote:
    Tell me about it. I bought an Arctic Silencer version 4 only to realise that they include ram coolers. That means I have to put some kind of goo on the ram. Was thinking of getting watercooling soon so kinda not sure to put on the Arctic Silencer or not.
    i think i,d be more afraid of the water cooling to be honest

• Advertisement

i dont think we even need to overclock our cards we,re just being greedy

I dont think installing watercooling is more harder as its just placing the gpu block on it. I've even bought ramsinks to put on the ram and now the Arctic Silver has ram coolers.
    Reason why I bought Arctic Cooling not to overclock it, just want to lower the temps on card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

neokenzo wrote:
    IMHO 90-100 is ridiculous, that cant be good for the gpu, temps are toohigh on x800's with stock cooler, I would definitly recommend watercooling if you are going to overclock , ive bought a new watercooler for mine, nothing special, just the thermaltake bigwater, but im going to use another radiator with it as well, so it will have two radiators and i got some cool heavy ramsinks for the memory, interesting to see what temps i will get with all that, and what speeds i can push it to, hoping to get more mhz out of it if im lucky, my gpu used to run at about 30-40 idle and 50-65 full load with my old watercooler

Yeah I want to get watercooling asap, need to save up though. Going to get it for the whole system and not just the GPU. I know the temp is high, thats why I bought the Arctic Cooling and ramsinks. Didnt know the Arctic Cooling cam with ram coolers as well. Do you think if I put Artic Ceramique on the ram now, would it be hard to remove and clean the ram in a couple of month's time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

neokenzo wrote:
    Yeah I want to get watercooling asap, need to save up though. Going to get it for the whole system and not just the GPU. I know the temp is high, thats why I bought the Arctic Cooling and ramsinks. Didnt know the Arctic Cooling cam with ram coolers as well. Do you think if I put Artic Ceramique on the ram now, would it be hard to remove and clean the ram in a couple of month's time?
    No point using Artic Ceramique, its only used for exxtreme low temps ie -30 and below (i use it for mach II), use Artic Silver, but to answer your question Artic Ceramique is easily washed off AFAIK

• Advertisement
Advertisement