Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My signature.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Sangre wrote:
    Its true, 2 or 3 years ago a post like that would have been utterly, utterly devastated in a no doubt amusing fashion which usually resulted in abrupt people never posting again.
    Indeed, the very curbing of such cutting and devastating replies was the reason for "The Grand Exodus" about a year ago iirc.

Hmm, I wonder who is the oldest poster who has never been modded, providing they still post somewhat...
    I think it's TwoShedsJackson; that's just a reasonably-educated guess though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

SantaHoe wrote:
    The truth here is that there are people who just love showing off how much of a sarcastic arse they can be to people who aren't in with the mega e-cool boards krew.

And the truth here is that there's no such thing as the mega e-cool boards krew. At least not until we get the forum set up and the signature images designed.

I didn't read the rest of your post because I've read it before. It's the aul protect the newbie in the name of the Fight the Power blahblahblah. GET A NEW RECORD PAL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I dont see what the problem is ::

original poster stated in first post s/he had read the sig rules and knew what they were, knew the sig didn't conform and yet STILL wanted it put back up WITH a promise it wouldn't be taken down.

come off it fs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah you've got my number there alright, I just love rebelling against the immense power that an internet bulletin board moderator weilds :rolleyes:
    pam wrote:
    It's the aul protect the newbie in the name of the Fight the Power blahblahblah.
    Sangre wrote:
    Half the posts of feedback are a pissing contest with attempts to be the most sarky or cutting. It gets old, fast. My own personal pet peeve is people pointing out 'noobie indignation' and 'fight the power'.
    Getting predictable in your old age Amp, maybe I'm not the one who needs a new record eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

seamus wrote:
    Boards policy has always been that mods are normal users outside of their own boards. To decide that outside of their own boards, moderators must conduct themselves in a special fashion, completely negates the idea of all posters being equal, and excludes moderators from participating in the same fashion that made them stay with boards in the first place.

Not all the powers that be agree with you there.
    CLOUD wrote:
    It's quite simple. Moderators have no rules, but you, the user, must follow these ones.

Zeroth Law:
    A user may not annoy the boards.ie community, or, through inaction, allow the boards.ie community to become unhappy.

First Law:
    A user may not annoy a moderator, or, through inaction, allow a moderator to become unhappy, unless this would violate the Zeroth Law of boards.ie.

Second Law:
    A user must obey orders given it by moderators, except where such orders would conflict with the Zeroth or First Law.

Third Law:
    A user must protect its own wellbeing as long as such protection does not conflict with the Zeroth, First, or Second Law.

Anyway ... the original question didn't seem particularily impolite when I read it. Seemed s/he was just looking for confirmation on why the sig had been removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cactus Col wrote:
    Not all the powers that be agree with you there.
    Hopefully you quote Cloud in jest. :)
    Anyway ... the original question didn't seem particularily impolite when I read it. Seemed s/he was just looking for confirmation on why the sig had been removed.
    It's in the final two paragraphs. Guess it could depend on how one reads it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

kaimera wrote:
    I dont see what the problem is ::

original poster stated in first post s/he had read the sig rules and knew what they were, knew the sig didn't conform and yet STILL wanted it put back up WITH a promise it wouldn't be taken down.

come off it fs.
    The poster didnt understand the rule, tbh (hangs head) the ans didnt come to me for a while.
    There was logic to the post albeit a little frustrated -- there was no reason to flame him/her

seamus: your quoteing the rule wasnt in any way helpful since the rule was known just not understood

And id say Jaeger a noob, not just cos of the 100 posts, cos of the way he used smilies and the way he spoiled his chances by flameing.

Ive few posts but wouldnt consider myself a noob, but then again Ive never been good at self deprecation*

*or spelling :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ive never been good at self deprecation
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

So far I am really Verily VERY Vurry impressed by the overall quality of the posts coming in from Mods on the Collective Responsibility issue I mentioned earlier.

Do keep those considered responses flooding in guys !

%^T))(*&%

seamus wrote:
    Hopefully you quote Cloud in jest. :)

Well yes and no, the main reason for putting Cloud's quote in there was to show how people would rather be clever, than give a proper answer (don't mean to say that this is Cloud in particular, but rather it's common among most of the moderators / administrators). I asked a question about moderators having rules, which wasn't answered until the second page of replies. Over 10 different moderators / administrators put in replies before Devore actually gave a proper answer.

On the Newbie board a question was asked about how to become a moderator, where, despite having replies from 5 different moderators, a proper answer has not been given.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=214995
    seamus wrote:
    It's in the final two paragraphs. Guess it could depend on how one reads it.

Thats true, I would have taken it as a joke (which I'd think that Jaeger meant it as). But I don't think that is reason enough for the question to be ignored as much as it was.

• Advertisement

The poster didnt understand the rule, tbh (hangs head) the ans didnt come to me for a while.
    There was logic to the post albeit a little frustrated -- there was no reason to flame him/her

seamus: your quoteing the rule wasnt in any way helpful since the rule was known just not understood
    That's not the way I read it at all. :)

Cactus Col wrote:
    Well yes and no, the main reason for putting Cloud's quote in there was to show how people would rather be clever, than give a correct answer (don't mean to say that this is Cloud in particular, but rather it's common among most of the moderators / administrators). I asked a question about moderators having rules, which wasn't answered until the second page of replies. Over 10 different moderators / administrators put in replies before Devore actually gave a proper answer.
    This is where policy needs to be set. Moderators are the biggest spammers of the lot. I haven't seen a thread on the Mod board in the last 2 months that *hasn't* veered wildly OT from the second post.

The Help board is the place where questions, even ones such as yours about Mod rules, need to be asked. True, the S:N ratio on this board has gone up recently, but that's to be expected. Iirc, the actual purpose of the help board was to allow an admin-user interaction where no-one else could butt in.

Is it user error for not posting on the Help board though? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Off-topicness leads to what has transpired here in my mind. The way to curb this is to make posts more valuable. The way to do this is to crack down on posts that are contrary to that. The way to do this is to ban.

Mods do not get banned enough from certain boards for going off topic. The main board is this board. In fact, if a heavier hand was applied on Feedback it would help with a great deal of OT S:N. However, if you think that S:N is bad here, you should see the Mod board.

Personally I don't mind off-topicness but I don't like it on PI because I mod PI and it is more often than not a hindrance to the forum.

So basically what I'm saying is - it's the Admins fault* :p

*awaiting a ban from ecksor promptly...

seamus wrote:
    This is where policy needs to be set. Moderators are the biggest spammers of the lot. I haven't seen a thread on the Mod board in the last 2 months that *hasn't* veered wildly OT from the second post.

The Help board is the place where questions, even ones such as yours about Mod rules, need to be asked. True, the S:N ratio on this board has gone up recently, but that's to be expected. Iirc, the actual purpose of the help board was to allow an admin-user interaction where no-one else could butt in.

Is it user error for not posting on the Help board though? :)

I was originally afraid I might be putting my question in the wrong board, however, after reading the other threads here I thought it fit in as well as anywhere. (I assumed it would have been moved or deleted by administrator if it didn't belong).

SantaHoe wrote:
    Yeah you've got my number there alright, I just love rebelling against the immense power that an internet bulletin board moderator weilds :rolleyes:

Getting predictable in your old age Amp, maybe I'm not the one who needs a new record eh?

Guess so, maybe that's because the same boring topics keep coming getting brought up by outraged newbs demanding silly things like "rights" and "customer satisfaction".

Maybe if you and others didn't keep fighting for their ignorant cause things would get a little less predictable around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

pam wrote:
    Maybe if you and others didn't keep fighting for their ignorant cause things would get a little less predictable around here.
    Now how much more cocky can ya get?

To the gentleman who put forward the thing that mods have no power outside their own board, this is true, they have no power, but because their names are in bold/italics or the diff stars or whatever, they appear to be a tier up from regular users. Now i guess its up to the user to approach them differently, but it also gives *some* mods a bigger ego when posting on places such as feedback

Oh buggar Muck is on the case. Wouldn't you be better use your immense powers fighting real corruption?
    I totally agree SantaHoe. Looking up the thread kinda shows what is wrong around here.

1. User does a bit of a 'fight the power' routine .

Which users not familar to the structure and culture of boards tend to do quite regularly.
    2. Mods start to contribute illiterate one liners.

Most of my one liners are literate, unless I think it's ironic that they shouldn't be.
    3. Admins contribute perfectly literate answers.

That's up to them, but some of the funniest one-liners I've read have come from Admins.
    4. Mods continue to contribute illiterate one liners.

ATTACK OF THE ILLERTERATE ONE LINERS!!!ONE!
    5. User contributes perfectly literate answer that a Mod should/coulda stepped in with .

On Feedback we are users, not moderators. If Jaeger had actually posted an actual request for more information and not an arrogant post demanding promises and for the rules to be overturned just for her/him maybe the moderators and admins would have reacted differently.
    It probably is not just me but in my opinion.

a) The Mods are getting worse recently ....collectively .

Yeah, we decided this on the Mod forum. Next month we're going for the burn and try two-liners.
    b) There is a culture of superciliouslessness amongst the mods. They are kinda like a series of neighbourhood terriers once one of them goes off they all do. Arf, Arf Arf , Arf Arf Arf.

There's a rival pack that do the same but attack the first group. Wag that tail man!
    c) None of the mods stepped in to clarify sig policy , thats sOOOOOO helpful for the Admins I should think that they can fall back on the Mods to explain things for them and that teh Mods seem to step in and clarify things all the time.

The help the user need was in his/her signature. The fact that he/she chose to ignore this and complain about it in a annoyingly arrogant fashion, is what gets me.
    Anyway , I asked for my username to be changed last week and I am probably out of here permanently until something is done about the >Overall< mod situation , I find it pretty intolerable nowadays and it is actually getting worse all the time. Individual bBoards are fine but the collective centre has evaporated. .

To be honest Muck I really don't think you understand fully how boards functions. There is no collective centre. There hasn't been for a long time. Feedback might seem like it is or was but it's not. I'll bet there are users in forums like Phantom and Ireland Offline that have never even heard of Feedback let alone posted here.

Users fearing the one-liners can quite easily post to the Admin board and not be attacked the moderator pack. The problems your describing are not coming from moderators. Moderators are reacting to the steady flow of newbies coming into boards.ie, some of which have trouble understanding that this site is a privately owned website where the rules are different from other bulletin boards and real-life(tm).

My advice is to find a different windmill to attack. You sound like conspiracy theory nutjob.

ColHol wrote:
    Now how much more cocky can ya get?

To the gentleman who put forward the thing that mods have no power outside their own board, this is true, they have no power, but because their names are in bold/italics or the diff stars or whatever, they appear to be a tier up from regular users. Now i guess its up to the user to approach them differently, but it also gives *some* mods a bigger ego when posting on places such as feedback

For 50 bucks you too can get a bigger ego!

Seriously though, there's no real way of even identifying the difference between moderator and a user. A newbie reading this board might think that the ones that aren't italicised are moderators.

Next up: How moderators caused the Asian tsunami.

ColHol wrote:
    Name in bold or stars isn't relevant. The name in bold only appeared recently, and the stars have been there forever, so that can't really be it, can it? Perhaps some users feel intimidated when a mod posts. That's their problem.

What anyone perceives as an abundance of ego is just experience. Many users are afraid of having themselves cut down. Eventully you reach a point where you (don't care || are glad for the education || don't care) when someone disagrees with your opinion. Until then, anyone who cuts you down is (abusing their power || a very bad man). It's a bit like a very experienced tech support person. They get a query, and can answer it in quiet confidence, with a quick wave of their hand - they don't even need to double-check. That's experience, however arrogant it might appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

CuLT wrote:
    Indeed, the very curbing of such cutting and devastating replies was the reason for "The Grand Exodus" about a year ago iirc.

I think it's TwoShedsJackson; that's just a reasonably-educated guess though.

He used to be castor troy so thats a no.

Also santahoe, You used to be one of the first people to put the boot into an unsuspecting newbie back in the day, so why don't you shut the hell up muppet.

Also I agree with Amp on pretty much everything he's mentioned so far in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I agree, Ban Castor Troy.

.logic.

logic, how the weather where you are. Good I hope.

Castor Troy = TwoShedsJackson?

My boardsucation has a very large gap :/

fiking newbe, Ps hows the albanians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Boston wrote:
    Also santahoe, You used to be one of the first people to put the boot into an unsuspecting newbie back in the day, so why don't you shut the hell up muppet.
    No you did... wah wah wah.
    When a newbie twat gets mod on the windows forum and starts muppeting around, then I'll put the "boot" in yes. (lol btw)
    By the way, there are a few unlocked OS polls on the windows board, why don't you go moan to someone about them.
    No you're right, I was being unreasonable and just wanted to fight the power... I promise from now on that I'll be a complete wánker to anyone who doesn't word their posts in a way that pleases me, my low self-esteem demands it.
    Right off I go.

tina_turner.jpg

If at some point, amp actually NEEDS any support for his argument, I'll pitch in; for now though, PICTURES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Gordon wrote:
    So basically what I'm saying is - it's the Admins fault* :p

fraid so, they are very overindulgent of sheer prattery , any other solutions out there ?

fraid so, they are very overindulgent of sheer prattery , any other solutions out there ?
    That's right Muck! Ignore the opposition! That'll get you places.

Or can you not counter amp?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

A newbie reading this board might think that the ones that aren't italicised are moderators.
    I doubt there are many 6 year olds who would think that, thats a pretty pathetic attempt to say the least, and your dissection of a post just adds to your arrogance, and utter contempt for the common poster, you done yourself no favours by posting it, and following it up immediately with a childish stab at humour was quite abysmal to say the least.

• Advertisement

SantaHoe wrote:
    No you did... wah wah wah.
    When a newbie twat gets mod on the windows forum and starts muppeting around, then I'll put the "boot" in yes. (lol btw)
    By the way, there are a few unlocked OS polls on the windows board, why don't you go moan to someone about them.
    No you're right, I was being unreasonable and just wanted to fight the power... I promise from now on that I'll be a complete wánker to anyone who doesn't word their posts in a way that pleases me, my low self-esteem demands it.
    Right off I go.

You still pissed I banned you from the forum for posting warez. Get over it and get a life

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement