Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My signature.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

pam wrote:
    On Feedback we are users, not moderators. If Jaeger had actually posted an actual request for more information and not an arrogant post demanding promises and for the rules to be overturned just for her/him maybe the moderators and admins would have reacted differently.
    Even if he had the arf arf noises woulda started anyway :)
    pam wrote:
    The help the user need was in his/her signature. The fact that he/she chose to ignore this and complain about it in a annoyingly arrogant fashion, is what gets me.
    Your post was the only one like an answer as t happens.
    pam wrote:
    To be honest Muck I really don't think you understand fully how boards functions. There is no collective centre.
    Duh, I did say so.
    pam wrote:
    There hasn't been for a long time. Feedback might seem like it is or was but it's not.
    or may have been (not) ?
    pam wrote:
    I'll bet there are users in forums like Phantom and Ireland Offline that have never even heard of Feedback let alone posted here.
    Quite. They never see you do they ?
    pam wrote:
    Users fearing the one-liners can quite easily post to the Admin board and not be attacked the moderator pack. The problems your describing are not coming from moderators. Moderators are reacting to the steady flow of newbies coming into boards.ie, some of which have trouble understanding that this site is a privately owned website where the rules are different from other bulletin boards and real-life(tm).
    Yes they are, you first said they were not and then admitted that Mods are reacting , My positon all along is that the way the mods REACT is moronic and is in ITSELF draining the collective centre which according to you exists / not exists/ did exist ....you fúcking choose.
    pam wrote:
    My advice is to find a different windmill to attack. You sound like conspiracy theory nutjob.
    It is self evident and in print all over this board, the conspiracy element if it exists would mean that there was a collective undertaking, I merely posited it as individual weakness .....albeit multiplied manyfold.
    cult wrote:
    That's right Muck! Ignore the opposition! That'll get you places.

Or can you not counter amp?
    Right on cue, piss off you muppet and keep posting those picces for amp :)

%$&

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

You still pissed I banned you from the forum for posting warez. Get over it and get a life
    Wow, making things up now... by any chance do you have a link to said thread/post or an admin to back up your claim?
    No?
    Didn't think so.

I don't even need to say how much of a plonker you are, you demonstrate it quite clearly here all by yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

alkjdflkajf in my mind is a flithy newbie.

SantaHoe wrote:
    Wow, making things up now... by any chance do you have a link to said thread/post or an admin to back up your claim?
    No?
    Didn't think so.

I don't even need to say how much of a plonker you are, you demonstrate it quite clearly here all by yourself.

o course theres no link, I deleted it. What type of second rate moderator do you take me for santahoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

ColHol wrote:
    To the gentleman who put forward the thing that mods have no power outside their own board

I'm sorry... I'm a what now?

• Advertisement

koneko wrote:

Seriously we all thought you where a guy for ages.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Most people try to keep unnecessary posts to a minimum.

Hmm, I hope Puglsey isn't disappointed in you for taking an argument point by point an "answering" it.
    Your response was hardly an answer in any case as it avoided most of the the points rather than tackle them.
    You're implying there should be a "collective centre" where amp is claiming the fact that there is none is "central" to boards.ie.

NOW,
    So far I am really Verily VERY Vurry impressed by the overall quality of the posts coming in from Mods on the Collective Responsibility issue I mentioned earlier.

Do keep those considered responses flooding in guys !

%^T))(*&%

Yes Muck, please subscribe me to your newsletter that I might hang on your every word.

This "Collective Responsiblity" you mention in brief is very nice indeed. Sunbeams and rainbows for all; big, happy, smiling beacons of light are the mods, full of knowledge and obsequious love for all posters.

Well, no, actually.
    You have to be arrogant to a degree to be a mod, it's the nature of the position; you are there, for the most part, to enforce rules.

When I come across someone who seems to be genuinely unaware of the system and willing to find out what/why the rules are there (outside my own forums), I'll usually (I'm not obliged to) try and supply a helpful answer.

What Jaeger displayed was the arrogance to assume his own opinion as fact, and base and argument, not a request, on it.

As koneko and DeVore pointed out, if you jump in guns blazing you should at least expect a certain level of hackles to be raised.

Sit back and relax the blood pressure old man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Well that disintegrated very amusingly.

I agree with SantaHoe and alkjdflkajf for the most part. It's so easy to make a jibe. It's lazy and it's not even funny. There are a number of culprits who seem to believe that they are the universal voice of common sense but that common sense is usually tinged with nastiness. Seamus, I actually think you are a bit of an exception to that rule - you make a joke or two but are always helpful aswell. (I'm not implying that all mods act like this, by the way. Just a particular bunch.)

Others just behave like 12 year olds. Elitist 12 year olds. If the admins ever disappear I fear we'd have a Lord of the Flies scenario on our hands. I bagsy the conch.

Play nice, children.

Boston wrote:
    o course theres no link, I deleted it. What type of second rate moderator do you take me for santahoe.
    I think I've been quite clear on exactly what kind of crap brain-dead moderator you've been, but I don't expect you to remember these things when the drool starts dripping from your mongoloid chin.

Boston wrote:
    Seriously we all thought you where a guy for ages.

I'll kill you with a fork from a hundred paces. I swaer it!
    I did it once before.

• Advertisement

SantaHoe wrote:
    I think I've been quite clear on exactly what kind of crap brain-dead moderator you've been, but I don't expect you to remember these things when the drool starts dripping from your mongoloid chin.

Hy man itf was nothig personal, It just warex isnt alowed on bords. I nothing against you r yo dpg.

edited: To insert spelling mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

CuLT wrote:
    This "Collective Responsiblity" you mention in brief is very nice indeed. Sunbeams and rainbows for all; big, happy, smiling beacons of light are the mods, full of knowledge and obsequious love for all posters.
    It is a lot more than 'answering questions ' if you look at it in a balanced way .
    CuLT wrote:
    Well, no, actually.
    You have to be arrogant to a degree to be a mod, it's the nature of the position; you are there, for the most part, to enforce rules.
    On your own Board you mods whats u got your way, but beyond that you should can your arrogance and think of what is best for the collective whole of Boards (save when trolling on PI obviously ) . Feedback should be one of those forums where you think of the greater whole .
    CuLT wrote:
    When I come across someone who seems to be genuinely unaware of the system and willing to find out what/why the rules are there (outside my own forums), I'll usually (I'm not obliged to) try and supply a helpful answer.
    Is there anything wrong with erring on the side of helpful and if so is there anything wrong with naturally forming a collective centre based on that premise. I personally think not. If the Mods are all busy trying to be assholes...collectively.....then the centre will suffer as the law of karma kicks in an endless stream of muppets for you to deal with

This board is full of examples of mods simply being assholes and at great length. Shame on yiz. Have ye not got a mods Board where ye can impress each other wth your 'pithy' and irrelevant nothingnesses. ???????

I still blame the Admins ..... a lot.

^%

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Boston wrote:
    Hy man itf was nothig personal, It just warex isnt alowed on bords. I nothing against you r yo dpg.

edited: To insert spelling mistakes.
    Mature :rolleyes:

Hey slaging of fspelling mistakes is low and immature. What I was doing was witty and ironical. Btw stop oppressing me just because you registered before this account did.

Ps I declare myself victor of this battle

Boston wrote:
    Ps I declare myself victor of this battle
    Congrats.
    positive14.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

fs...this is getting a bit long in the tooth in all fairness. take it to the thunderdome you two.
    /me checks if any admins are idling anywhere.

On your own Board you mods whats u got your way, but beyond that you should can your arrogance and think of what is best for the collective whole of Boards (save when trolling on PI obviously ) . Feedback should be one of those forums where you think of the greater whole .
    This theory should apply to every user; placing me or any mod as being somehow above it all does nothing but fuel the egos that there are complaints about.
    Is there anything wrong with erring on the side of helpful and if so is there anything wrong with naturally forming a collective centre based on that premise. I personally think not.
    I agree, and I do err on the side of helpful when posting... mostly.
    If the Mods are all busy trying to be assholes...collectively.....then the centre will suffer as the law of karma kicks in an endless stream of muppets for you to deal with
    This is based on the idea that a centre exists in the first place, which IMO it doesn't, and shouldn't.
    This board is full of examples of mods simply being assholes and at great length.
    I'm not going to make the assumption that you haven't actually seen many other boards on the net; the ones I've seen are a lot worse, and while that in itself isn't an excuse, it makes it much easier to look on boards.ie as an example of a community bettering itself.
    Shame on yiz. Have ye not got a mods Board where ye can impress each other wth your 'pithy' and irrelevant nothingnesses. ???????
    I'm heavily considering subscribing to the Thunderdome, it's really a wonderful place.
    I still blame the Admins ..... a lot.
    All fine and well; but at the end of the day (to use a much overused phrase, sorry) they own and run the site and have no obligation to the mods/users to run it any other way than they see fit.

well that was fun santahoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......
    This is just going nowhere, not that it ever had any hope of going somewhere constructive.
    Cult seemed to point out that a moderator should be arrogant. No, in fact he ideally should be the opposite. They should be able to enforce rules yet admit mistakes when they have been made, they should be able to be leanient when required. In fact, I can't think of a worse quality in a mod especially if they think they can have this arrogant attitude everywhere.
    I was half thinking of replying to pam but I couldnt be arsed replying to a massive post with 50 quotes in it :/

I didn't say they should, I said it's part of the job. It's part of ANY position of authority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Jaeger

To clarify a few things:
    What seems to be the general reaction to my post
    How rude.
    First off, yes I was brief. Being brief is not being rude. I don't believe in typing pages and pages and grovelling when I only need to say something short. Rudeness is not something I was aiming for. All I wanted was a real reason for removing it. I didn't expect 79 replies in a couple of hours.
    Originally posted by DeVore
    <paraphrase>So we allow your signature, then someone comes along with a 1 * 5000 signature.</paraphrase>

I hear you and I can appreciate the logic but 5000 is an obscene width. Surely 400 is not? :)
    Originally posted by Beruthiel
    Jaeger
    you're either very brave
    or
    very stupid

I am neither Ber :) I wasn't talking to any particular person either, no word-putting-into-mouth please, who's Ecksor anyway? I hardly know who's who around here. And the size of this thread is shockin. I expected one or two responses.

I think I saw someone say there was no in-crowd or elitist group on here. There is always one. It's the nature of society and thus the forums to be that way.
    Originally posted by a few
    Jaeger is a newb.

Only a newb would say something like that ;). Whilst only posting very little on here, I've modded boards and even adminned boards elsewhere. I drop in from time to time to get away from those other boards and get back to dealing with an atmosphere I'm more used to (except in this case..) Of course I've mostly been around vb2 and nothing to the scale of boards.ie, -with the exception of vbulletin.com/org- which makes me newbish and inferior? The age old "I don't know you so yuo R a n00b"? Yes. I am the newb :rolleyes:
    Originally this was a Q/A thread...wtf happened to it?
    User vs mods with admins looking on
    I didn't post this to get at anyone. The reaction is almost frightening tbh. The last sentence was a preemptive. With online 'boards society' there is always a jumped up mod on each forum. Always :)

All I wanted was a good reason for removing it. At the time I placed my signature on here, I wasn't aware of any bans. I naïvely assumed that the only restriction would be down to file size, and that so long as I had nothing that made the page scroll horizontally or annoyed the eyes or did silly flashy things, had no inline frames, no scripts etc, I would be ok.

To the admins: I suppose there is no going back now on the signature removal but I simply don't understand why the 100 pixels means so much when the file size is less than half.

So now this thread is heading for 100 replies and has careered quite beyond my control. I would create a new one just to get back on topic but no doubt, I'd be flamed for that too. As a newbie no doubt :)

More than likely this thread won't even be taken seriously anymore, just another All Against Authority load of rubbish. Which is a pity.

The bottom line is that all I want is my signature back. I'm not 'rebelling' against the authorities, I didn't post this thread to try and say the admins' opinions on signatures are wrong, nor to start some sort of anti-admin feeling. Feel free to close this thread anytime but still I'd like some sort of answer.

I posted to find out if someone could look at reason and give me back my signature. I'd like to think I have had respect for everyone on here in the past, I'm almost sure I've never replied harshly to anyone or hurt any feelings or been in any way a problem to anyone on here, I'd like to see just a small bit of a return on that.

Just read that back...sounds unbelievably newby :D

Just spotted this too:
    Originally posted by....the one fitting the jumped up mod status =o
    Some people may have a tendency to jump down people's throats, but I still think that if you want something done or you're asking a question, you don't want to get on people's bad sides by being a dick about it. It's the same for everything in life. If you walk into a shop, and want serving, you don't start off on a tyrade before someone has even spoken to you about whatever-it-is-you're-asking.

Mods are supposed to set examples. Not running around proclaiming posters -they don't even recognise- dicks.

I didn't jump down anyone's throat. A few people -nice to see- took my post for what it was.

T-i-r-a-d-e.

Cue response a la:

a) Who the hell are you to tell me anything about modding blah blah blah.
    b) I'm a mod and I'll speel tyrade hwoevre the ehll I want! ;)

Sounds friendly Jaeger, that doesnt make it newbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

CuLT wrote:
    I didn't say they should, I said it's part of the job. It's part of ANY position of authority.
    No, it isn't. You must be confusing it with something like confidence or assertiveness etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

koneko wrote:

Oh right, there was a meeting, you're a guy now. Did you miss it?

We'll need you to hand over your Boobies, your feminine intuition, your PMS....

......And the ankle PMS

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ya'll jus' jealous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Jaeger wrote:
    To clarify a few things:

First off, yes I was brief. Being brief is not being rude. I don't believe in typing pages and pages and grovelling when I only need to say something short. Rudeness is not something I was aiming for. All I wanted was a real reason for removing it. I didn't expect 79 replies in a couple of hours.

hmm and

I'd like permission to put my signature back on and the promise that it won't be removed again. Failing that, may I have a genuine technical reason as to it's removal? Preferably not from some jumped up mod with a nazi-like penchant for unnecessary displays of rule enforcement either

Lets start at the first sentence, you state you want "the promise" that it won't be removed in your orginal post without finding out a reason for your the removal you demand "the promise" that it is won't be removed. I mean thats like being arrested for breaking a law and then while in prison saying you want assurance that you won't be arrested again.

Then theres the "jumped up mod with a nazi like penchanct" yeah I'm just trying to envision you over at your girlfriends grandmothers house for your first dinner

"Would you like some vegetables dear?"

"sure as long as its not that scanky ass smell thats been leaking from your kitchen i mean seriously did he colostimy bag spring a leak?"

Mate you where rude and got a rude response, f*cking deal you moany ignorant b*tch

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Jaeger wrote:
    I am neither Ber :) I wasn't talking to any particular person either, no word-putting-into-mouth please, who's Ecksor anyway?

lets just say that the word Ecksor and nazi have been mentioned in the same sentence before, hence me thinking you were refering to him and the fact that you must be very brave to do so....
    sometimes it's best to keep your head down till you know the lie of the land so to speak.... ;)

Told yas he wasn't a newb
    Jaeger wrote:
    Mods are supposed to set examples. Not running around proclaiming posters -they don't even recognise- dicks.

Refer back to the many posts about how mods are only users on forums except the ones they mod. I didn't mean you're a dick, but you were going about asking for something totally the wrong way. You might call it "pre-emptive", I call it rude. That's all my initial post was saying. Act rude, you get rude in return.
    T-i-r-a-d-e.

Mesa so so sorry I no native Englees speakar
    (and pointing out spelling mistakes is pretty lame).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jaeger wrote:
    I hear you and I can appreciate the logic but 5000 is an obscene width. Surely 400 is not? :)
    Yes, but there are 30,000 other people here. The sig rules have to be enforced to the letter. If the admins make an exception for you with your 400px width, then they have to allow everyone to have a 400px width. Then someone comes on saying "Ah, 450px isn't much bigger, it wasn't even a bigger total area, I demand that you allow me to put it back up", and so on, and so on. It has to stay at 300px, there can't be room for compromise. It was seen before - give people an inch, and they'll stick up ani gifs, high-quality photos, whatever.

If you want to use the image, you'll have to resize it so it's 300px wide.
    I think I saw someone say there was no in-crowd or elitist group on here. There is always one. It's the nature of society and thus the forums to be that way.
    There's no "in-crowd" as many people seem to see it. Certainly there are a lot of people who are familiar with eachother, and are mates, but they're far from being an elitist, closed-off "in-crowd". Very little interaction takes places via PM, except for those who would be good mates. Most of my communication to other mods takes place when very drunk, and in a pub. Any PMs are usually related to boards issues.
    All I wanted was a good reason for removing it. At the time I placed my signature on here, I wasn't aware of any bans. I naïvely assumed that the only restriction would be down to file size, and that so long as I had nothing that made the page scroll horizontally or annoyed the eyes or did silly flashy things, had no inline frames, no scripts etc, I would be ok.
    I hope your curiosity has been satisfied. Since it's generally accepted that a lot of people won't know the rules, that's why your sig is replaced with said information.
    Not here. A mod calling someone a dick should - outside of their own board - be subject to the same treatment as anyone else. Mods are only users outside of their boards. There's no onus on them to act appropriately or set examples.

• Advertisement

Mycroft, I see in your quote you seemed to miss the very very last bit of that sentence, possably the most important part, the smiley. It is actually a very important part of that last sentence, he was taking the p*ss with that whole last paragraph, if he used an angry smiley, or indeed none at all, then yes you would be able to take it seriously, but he was joking, so using it solely to base an arguement on holds little water imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement