Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL tv-bb connections interchanagable?

• 10-01-2005 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Morning all,
    I had ntl digital tv and bb installed before xmas. I wasnt in the house when it was being installed so i wasnt able to ask the installer all the questions that i wanted too.

Basically i had the digital tv socket instaled downstairs in the sitting room and the bb socket installed upstairs in a bedroom.

If your not familiar with the ntl socket its just a white box with two coax outouts, one called TV and i think the other is called AV, but im not 100% on that.

Both the tv and the bb modem are connected to the TV output of their respective boxes.

What i want to know is can i swap the tv and the modem, ie bring the modem downstairs and plug it in to the tv box.?

Also, could i have both the tv and the bb modem plugged into the box in the sitting room?

Thanks for any help
    Wavey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Should be able to bring the modem downstairs, yeah. Works fine for me. The TV output can be split using some splitter yoke that the engineer can give you. Probably not too hard to pick up somewhere like maplins though. Basically you can plug either modem or TV in to whichever wall socket you like (ie upstars or downstairs) but if you want both in at the same time, you will need a splitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Cheers Boro,

Thats what i was thinking but will that reduce the speed of my internet connection?

Also, what is the second output from the ntl point for? Im guessing its for the basic analogue tv package?

Nope, doesnt reduce your speed - its like the way voice and DSL come in on the one line - just different frequencies seperated by a splitter. AFAIK, the second output is for FM radio - never tried hooking it up to anything though.

Thats deadly Boro, thanks.

Saves me running a cable all the way back down to the sitting room!

btw What kind of cable does the bb connection use? Is there a special type of coax?

Just standard coax. Easy enough to wire up yourself. Probably need to use some decent stuff though just to be sure. The plug on the cable is a kind of screw on yoke, but nothing special there either. When yer man was putting it in for me, he cut cut the
    length off a reel of it he had and made it up there in front of me.

Oh lucky you btw, you got my 1000th post as the first reply :D

• Advertisement

Hey cool, What do I win?

ummmmmmm.... err... yeah... prize...*scratches head* y'see.. that was what we call advertising.... which is another word for lying.... Noone goes for the elephant kid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Boro wrote:
    Nope, doesnt reduce your speed - its like the way voice and DSL come in on the one line - just different frequencies seperated by a splitter. AFAIK, the second output is for FM radio - never tried hooking it up to anything though.

Last month I bought a TV tuner card for my PC -so I swapped the cable modem from the TV line over to the FM radio line but then the cable modem reported that there was no signal. Now I have to buy a line splitter too if I want to be online and watch TV on the pc simultaneously as well.

mrblack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

mrblack wrote:
    Last month I bought a TV tuner card for my PC -so I swapped the cable modem from the TV line over to the FM radio line but then the cable modem reported that there was no signal. Now I have to buy a line splitter too if I want to be online and watch TV on the pc simultaneously as well.

mrblack

You can get a splitter for a couple of quid from Woodies or somewhere like that. I did the same and it works perfectly.....no drop in speed/pings at all.

Advertisement