Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the smumpkins!!!!! amazing!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 melon_colly

yeah as far as i know they are a dublin band

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I never got to see the Pumpkins play and it is a huge regret. If this tribute band are as good as ye say, it would be worth going up to see them.

that is exactly the same as me ... i loved the pumpkins and never got to see them ... the smumpkins are seriously the next best thing! check it out for yourself .. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Saw them play once or twice.

The old bass player sucked really badly. But he was a handsome devil.

the bass players not that bad ... but yeah hot damn he is the spitting image of billy corgan aint he! the singer is amazing so is the drummer

• Advertisement

No, They changed Bass players. The new one is MUCH better. But the old one was hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Do they play all the stuff off Gish and Siamese dream first so you can leave when they get into the later Billy Corgan 'The moon is made of cheese whimsy voyage to the centre of the earth pastiche video tonight tonight cello lurch from the adams family shaved head gothic nonsense' type material?

Is the Tribute James Iha as pointless/useless as the original?

i think youve got the wrong band ... all of the smumpkins are guys and always were! are you thinking about the actual real band the smashing pumpkins?

MAGPIE!!! You'll be pleased to know, when they played TBMC they stayed away from the whole Machina era. They Played the much rockier stuff and opened with a great version of I am one. As for Mr Iha. He's great on guitar, true, his solo album is turdacious.

Nope, Pretty Sure its the right one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've seen this band a few times and I have to say they do an excellent job of covering the pumpkins.

I've known the bassist since nappies, were good friends. He does a great job and does look the image of billy (one photo in particular I saw I couldn't believe the similarities)

The Lead singer is a huge pumpkins fan, I thought I was bad until I met him, he went to America to see them tour, he went to about 8 different shows. He has met the band. He knows all the lyrics and can play the songs perfectly.

The drummer does an excellent job. The original pumpkins drummer is amazing and he does him justice.

Rythem guitar is perfect too!

The first few times I saw them they were slightly out of time and tune but they have progressed and sound exactly like the real thing. The lead singer puts all his heart into it and they do special covers you may recognise from live sets (ear/viewphoria and the likes). They mainly play the pumpkins heavy material. I myself do prefer the more melodic softer material but as far as heavy music goes, the pumpkins produce some great songs to rock out to. I just loved "Stand inside your love" performed at TBMC.

They only got to play about 4 songs last night but the crowd were cheering for more and going quite wild in the little space they had. The crowd react, if enough people knew about them they could certainly fill a venue and everybody would be impressed.

They are based in Dublin.

Keep an eye out as I will post the next time I hear about an upcoming gig. And if you know a pumpkins fan, let them know. I never got to see the pumpkins myself, I was too young and didn't know them at the times they played (except the last olympia tour, just didn't have the money to buy from a tout, checked their website about a week before tickets went on sale and there was no mention of it, when I saw an add on tv I jumped with excitement only to find out the next day that tickets had gone on sale a week prior and were sold out). This just about does it for me though.

The band has always been the same 4 guys from the start. Bass player has always been the same.

James Ihas solo album is good. It's not heavy but it's still good.

They played "Stand inside your love" - Machine era at TBMC.

They Played the much rockier stuff and opened with a great version of I am one

Excellent! I thought Gish was the shizzle when it came out, but everything they released after that was a slow laborious journey to the centre of Billy C's capacious rectum.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bumblebeemouth

eoin5 wrote:
    THE SMUMPKINS! sounds like some pisstake band name. Why wouldnt they call themselves Gish or Siva or something.

Believe me man it took a seriously long time for us to all agree on name for the band. Gimme a decent suggestion (has to be a lot better than Gish or Siva though!) and we'll consider it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Mashing Pumpkins?

We are one?

'D'arcy's Wretzkys'

magpie wrote:
    D'arcy's Wretzkys

Hmmm D'arcy's Wretzkys... Fnarr fnarr

How about 'Billy No Mates' ?

'The Dashing Bumpkins'

Auf Der Mars Bar?

• Advertisement

Yeeha Iha and the Siamese Creams?

Yeeha Iha and the Siamese Creams?

Now you're talking my language

How about: 'Collie Flower and The Infinite Cheese'?

EDIT: or just 'Collie Flower'... that's actually pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

This Arm

*apologies in advance*

I suppose 'The Bernadette O'Brien Show' would be a bit tasteless....

Hey Doctor J we should have consulted with you ages ago, keep up the good work!!!

Papa Smut wrote:
    *apologies in advance*

I suppose 'The Bernadette O'Brien Show' would be a bit tasteless....

eh, just slightly.........

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Believe me man it took a seriously long time for us to all agree on name for the band. Gimme a decent suggestion (has to be a lot better than Gish or Siva though!) and we'll consider it!!!

Who are you? Drummer or Rythem I doubt your Moe or Con?

I threw a few suggestions at a party one time, it was more for the melodic softer pumpkins material though "Grateful Swans" and a few others:P

How about just "Smashing Pumpkins" since "The Smashing Pumpkins" ditched that name on their later albums :D

Matching Pumpkins

• Advertisement

No Corm its the passionate vocalist - everyones thrown names at us at some stage but con didnt want to use any of them so blame him, he was really keen on "Homer Simpson smiling politely" but we put him in his place :)

Advertisement