Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Hand From Friday in Fitz

Options
  • 10-01-2005 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Sat throught first three levels of blinds getting absolute rags. Pair of twos was the best hand I saw and this pot was raised before it got to me. Bluffed two pots with rubbish and at start of freezeout I had 5000 approx. Anyway two hands into fo I got 88 while on the BB (100/200). LP raises to 1000 (tight player who hadn't played many hands). Small blind calls as do I. Flop comes Q86 with two spades. SB checks and I bet 1000 as I don't want to give a flush draw a free card. The initial raiser checks his two cards (this makes me think he doesn't have a pp) and after a while reraises all in. SB folds and I call. He has QQ and I'm walking. Now I don't think I did much wrong (maybe could have folded preflop but they looked so good after the crap i was getting) but I wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to get away from a set ? Even when thinking about his cards I put him on AQ, AA or KK and although I did put QQ into the equation I just discarded that straight away . Has anyone ever folded a set to a higher set without the board showing a pair ? Any tips ?

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

How many hands might he have reasonably bet in this fashion from start to finish?
    How many of them does your mid-set beat?

Still want to "get away from" the set? :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

If you're in a set/over set situation you will almost always lose money I think realisticly the only place you could have got away from that was preflop.

It's a 5x raise and 1/5 of yor stack. Personally I would be either folding or pushing all in, honestly I would probably have pushed here myself and got called. Given that it's a overbet (5x blinds) from a tight player there is a good case for folding. There are a few players in the fitz who I would fold to there if they made that raise, but in general I would have pushed.

I think calling is the worst of your options, once you see the flop I don't think you did anything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

careca wrote:
    SB checks and I bet 1000 as I don't want to give a flush draw a free card. The initial raiser checks his two cards (this makes me think he doesn't have a pp) and after a while reraises all in. SB folds and I call. He has QQ and I'm walking.
    Sounds like he was doing a bit of acting. He was probably checking to see if he had the Q spades, since you were likely betting a big flush draw instead of a lower set.
    Can't say I've ever folded a set. Only time I might do it is if I have bottom set on a board of 1 suit, and there's load of action ahead of me.

I doubt I would have folded the 88 preflop either, If the flop had come 10 high or lower I probably would have bet it. In the fitz late position steals are often done with any Ace so its debateable whether folding 88 is correct depending on your opponent.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Aye, good point dapper, I didnt notice the cost preflop.

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Low pocket pairs a becoming my nemesis....near the end of the freeroll on Saturday I got pocket 8s (same situation as a few weeks ago when I got 9s) I am in a good postion blinds are 200/400 and someone in an early postion raises to 2500.I fold....Board came something like this.

8 J 5 8 10

Is a hard life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement