Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mourinho - Legend!!!

• 10-01-2005 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

From the Mirror today.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/sporttop/tm_objectid=15058894%26method=full%26siteid=50143%26headline=rude%2d%2darrogant%2d%2dno%2dway%2d%2djose%2d%2d%2d-name_page.html

RUDE? ARROGANT? NO WAY, JOSE...

Chelsea 3 Scunthorpe 1

By Martin Lipton

SOME call him arrogant and a big-head, a man who only cares about himself.

But they will never look at Jose Mourinho in that way at Scunthorpe. Instead, they will talk for years about the man who showed them the real romance of the FA Cup.

While the Premiership and Champions League are Mourinho's priorities, as the team he put out to reach round four demonstrated, the Chelsea boss showed his tender side before and after Scunthorpe had briefly dreamed of one of the great upsets.

You cannot be arrogant if you personally conduct your opponents on a guided tour of your stadium, then make a point of congratulating each and every one of the other team at the final whistle.

And a man who struggles to get his head through a doorway wouldn't then go into the other side's dressing room to tell them again just how well they had done.

That, though, is exactly what Mourinho did, presenting Scunny boss Brian Laws with the five-page dossier he had compiled to prepare for a tie which was far tougher than the scoreline suggests.

For Laws and his players, there will never be anything except good words for Mourinho and Chelsea.

Striker Paul Hayes, whose smart eighth-minute turn and shot through Carlo Cudicini's legs put the 6,000 travelling Iron Army into ecstasy, said: 'Scoring that goal was a dream come true - I just assumed I was going to wake up.

'But the whole day was fantastic, thanks to Jose Mourinho. He was there when we arrived at the ground early, because the gaffer didn't want us to just walk out and be intimidated.

'He was brilliant towards us. He showed us around, let us go into both dressing rooms, and after the game he said well done to each of us on the pitch and came into the changing room as well.

'Jose told us that we could go into the home room and talk to anybody we wanted to and get any autographs and shirts. I got Joe Cole's, which is the one I really wanted.

'He didn't have to do any of that, but he did. I've seen him called arrogant and rude but he couldn't have done more to make our day great.'

Substitute Cleveland Taylor, who was the width of the post away from putting Laws' men back on terms after Mateja Kezman's volley and a cruel own goal by skipper Andy Crosby had restored the natural order, agreed. 'You hear about big-time Charlies in the Premiership, but none of us will say that about Chelsea,' he said.

Only a late close-range strike by stand-in skipper Eidur Gudjohnsen killed the game off and Laws agreed it was a day his side could be proud of, especially centre-back Andy Butler, dominant in the air at both ends.

Laws, a former Nottingham Forest right-back said: 'Chelsea treated us like kings - but we nearly took a ransom. We showed that they're only human beings and not from another planet - even if they can play like they are.

'Jose came in and gave me the scouting report he'd compiled on us. I was ready to swap him mine, although I'm not sure he needs it too often. The only weakness I'd spotted was that the pies were cold. But after the game he said to me: 'If we keep on being that lucky, we'll win the Premiership'. That was a nice touch and he made my players feel very special.

'It's easy for the big clubs to ignore the smaller teams but he couldn't have done more. When I said this week that he reminds me of Cloughie, it was a compliment. Cloughie was a legend and I'm sure Jose will go on to become one too.'

Mourinho has done enough in his first six months at Stamford Bridge to suggest Laws is right, with his addiction to custard cream biscuits just another of the quirks in his character.

The Chelsea boss said: 'The report was a gift to their manager. He made it very difficult for us and maybe I could've done with his report on us before the game!

'I had to play the team I did because players like John Terry and William Gallas needed a rest. Some of the players will need a rest when we play Manchester United in the Carling Cup as well, although I can't rest everybody.

'But I can't afford to leave anybody out when we go to Tottenham. They are looking really good, scoring goals and playing attacking football, fantastic. This time we'll have to bring the bus to park in front of our goal.'

MAGIC OF THE FA CUP RATING 7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Nice article :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

aye he seems a class act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

colster wrote:
    That, though, is exactly what Mourinho did, presenting Scunny boss Brian Laws with the five-page dossier he had compiled to prepare for a tie which was far tougher than the scoreline suggests.
    Its good to see he's not so complacent as to just go out and play football. He always seems to be at Stamford Bridge well before anyone too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

I like the man,he is all about the football.
    He does not get involved in all the other crap fair play to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Great stuff. Class manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I actually really like him.

cheesedude wrote:
    steady on there boy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

eirebhoy wrote:
    steady on there boy!
    At least his wife is out of the picture (according to sig. anyway) :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hats off, still think he is a bit arrogant, not trying to earn Fergie any points and high jacking the thread but last year we were over at OT, fulham match.
    Myself and the younger brother hung about for the team to come out and Fergie about 15 minutes later.
    He came out and signed about 15 autographs, he took his time and my brother says to him as he was signing the paper, "Hope you enjoy Westport" (he was coming over for a function), Fergie stopped and must have talked to him for 10 minutes about Westport and the match, it made his life never mind his day.

But in fairness what Mourinho did was a really special thing, hats off

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

I suppose whe you think anout it. Mourinho is remembering where he came from. He's an ex-footballer who probably played at the same level as Scunthorpe.
    It's still great that he showed that amount of respect for them.
    He seems to have instilled the same respect for them in his own players.

• Advertisement

colster wrote:
    Mourinho is remembering where he came from. He's an ex-footballer who probably played at the same level as Scunthorpe.
    I don't think Mourinho actually played football. He got into the game as Bobby Robson's translator afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

eirebhoy wrote:
    I don't think Mourinho actually played football. He got into the game as Bobby Robson's translator afaik.

I thought he was but never made it professionally. Still he's some coach!!

colster wrote:
    I thought he was but never made it professionally.
    Therefore wouldn't even have played near the level of Scunthorpe. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

cheesedude wrote:

no, really....I like him....a lot :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I think the guy's a Legend too .I think Chelsea have a real chance of the quadruple as well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Big Ears wrote:
    I think the guy's a Legend too .I think Chelsea have a real chance of the quadruple as well .

personnally i doubt it, its pretty much impossible.

the bookies will be fuc*'d if they manage it though. odds earlier on were 150/1 and alot of money was laid down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The quadruple is the fa cup league cup premiership and the CL?

What triple did Liverpool do? What was the other cup?

p.s. You know what pisses me off, in my mind the treble was always the Fa Cup, league cup, and the premiership, but now everyone talks like the treble is the Cl instead of teh league cup.
    That sucks if you ask me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Liverpool did 2 "trebles"

1983/84 - European Cup, League and League Cup

2000/01 - UEFA Cup, FA Cup and League Cup

Nobody's ever done the English treble. I think the closest Liverpool came was 85/86, when they did the league and FA cup double, but lost in the league cup semi to QPR (who lost to Oxford in the final) thanks to scoring two own goals in the 2nd leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Mourinho was in the reserves for some portugese team that his dad was the manager of, he never actually got to play (at that club atleast) and as far as i remember there was some controversey that the father was told he would be sacked if he played jose so im guessing he wasnt anygood

might look this up later and clarify some of this :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

personnally i doubt it, its pretty much impossible.

I disagree, it's no more difficult than Man Us treble if you have a strong reserve team for the league cup and Chelsea do. If anything, the standard of the lower teams in the premiership is a bit weaker than it was in '99 imo so it's slightly easier. If they beat Barca, I think they'll have every chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Liverpool did 2 "trebles"

1983/84 - European Cup, League and League Cup

2000/01 - UEFA Cup, FA Cup and League Cup

Nobody's ever done the English treble. I think the closest Liverpool came was 85/86, when they did the league and FA cup double, but lost in the league cup semi to QPR (who lost to Oxford in the final) thanks to scoring two own goals in the 2nd leg.

what about 77 not that i care for them but were they not an fa cup final defeat to the mighty utd from the quadruple :D

Advertisement