Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMC Card with Nokia 6230 - Help!

• 10-01-2005 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I have a Nokia 6230 and the standard 32 MB MMC (MultiMedia Card) that comes with it works fine. I got a 512 MB MMC but the phone doesn't see the card at all. The card works fine in a camera and a Palm device. I've tried formatting it in the Palm device etc. but no joy when I put it in the phone. I've read the manual for the phone and it mentions nothing about size restrictions on MMCs. Also, it's definitely an MMC and not an SD card. Has anyone any ideas/things to try? Any help would be great!

Cheers,

DC.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Nokia only claim support up to 128MB cards. Some larger cards will work, but it seems quite hit and miss. It seems to be manufacturer dependent whether or not the card will work. There was a thread here recently about the 6230 and memory cards. Do a search and you'll probably find it. It listed a few cards which will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 McSqueeb

I have 1GB card in my 6230, it really depends what company and the color of the card, here are a few helpful links.

Link 1
    Link 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 McSqueeb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Thanks for the help people. I wish Nokia would warn people about this type of thing. They don't seem to mention it anywhere in their literature (manual or online) and have very little information about MMC cards in general. What's the point in having a standard if it's not standard :mad:

Cheers,

DC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

i had the same problem.I formatted the Card and unlocked it cos there was a password on it.Worked Fine

• Advertisement

i had the same problem.I formatted the Card and unlocked it cos there was a password on it.Worked Fine

Hmmmm i didn't know you could unlock an MMC.... I can read/write to the card fine and have formatted it too......

Cheers,

DC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I bought mine off someone in boards with a 6230 and there was a password on the mmc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

aye according to nokia the 6230 will only take a maximum of 128mb(much to my dismay) altough apparently some 1 gig cards work BUT the phone will not format them,you need a card reader to format them. If your gonna get a 1gig card you may aswell get a card reader as transfering up to 1 gig of files through bluetooth aint too pretty :)

shop4memory.com say that all their MMC cards are fully compatible with Nokia phones (they have up to 1GB). Might be worth getting if that's the case. At least there's no risk of being lumbered with an MMC card that doesn't work in the phone.

http://www.shop4memory.com/products/multimedia-card.asp

DC.

50_Pence wrote:
    Hi,

Yeah, I WAS going to get a 512 rs mmc card for my phone (6630) but I read this.

Link !

Now I know it's not the same model, but I like to test the card first before buying, I have dealt with shop4memory before and one time being in the shop in Celbridge to bring ram back, so I know there top notch and there prices are unbeatable. But I'd still like to test it first.

€62 for 512MB RS-MMC card - Very good price ....

I tend to trust the guys at shop4memory. They've never steered me wrong. I asked them before I ordered via instant messenger. They said it would be compatible for my phone. I've used them many times and I can't fault them for price or service. I know what you mean about being able to try before you buy though. Can always get a refund if it doesn't work.

DC.

• Advertisement

Just thought I'd reply with an update. I bought the VeriTech 1GB MMC from shop4memory.com (€94). Works perfectly in the Nokia 6230. The way the phone reads the free space on the card is a bit messed up (perhaps this is why Nokia say only up to 128 MMC is supported, but the space is there, nonetheless. Maybe a future firmware upgrade will fix this.

DC.

Advertisement