Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making deals..

Options
  • 10-01-2005 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

You're one of four players left in a NL Hold'em tournament.
    Chips:
    Player 1: 32000 (An above-average player who has been slightly lucky so far)
    Player 2: 16000 (An excellent player but is slightly on tilt after losing his stack to give Player 1 the chip lead)
    You : 12000
    Player 4: 8000 (A very tight unimaginative player, no real major faults)

Blinds are 200/400 rising every 30 mins

Payout:
    1st: €1000
    2nd: €500
    3rd: €300
    4th: €200

A deal is offered by Player 2 by suggesting:
    Deal Payout
    1st: €800
    2nd: €600
    3rd: €425 (your prize money)
    4th: €275

What do you do?

Make the deal or ? 14 votes

Yes, make the deal, its fair considering stacks and player skill.
    0% 0 votes
    Suggest a better deal (that benefits you).
    7% 1 vote
    No deal at the moment thanks.
    28% 4 votes
    No deal ever.
    64% 9 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Plenty of play left in this but I would suggest a better deal for myself if it was getting late. I might go for the deal on offer but with blinds that small I would fancy my chances and wait.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Deal negotiation is an important skill. Marq will tell you that I've negotiated a particular deal at final table that, while complex enough, happened to hand me a sizeably larger chunk of the change then I should probably have gotten. Despite that, everyone left the table feeling happy and Marq had the good grace to wait until we were having a smoke before rolling his eyes around :)

More enlightening... The first deal I was involved in was proposed by Vivion one night and despite having half our chips he forced an equal split simply because he played poker with the deal as much as with his cards. Both I and the other guy were new and nervous and wanted the deal so we could just get our hands on the money. While I argued for a chip-% split Vivion read me for weakness and stuck to his guns. I suggested another few hands and Viv played them magnificently by being very aggressive and making us both uncomfortable. A few hands later he suggested the even split deal again and we both capitulated. Later I had to admire it, he couldnt keep the hyper-aggression up for long but he knew he didnt have to! He called my bluff and then showed me "the stick" to entice me to the carrot. He knew or read that I really really wanted the stress to be over and get the cash and he got paid more then he probably should have as "f*ck off" money!

The moral... you can get a lot of money from playing poker with the deal at the end of the night, in many ways I see it as the final hand of the night! :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Anyone think that the deal proposed in the first post is fair/unfair?
    If you were the 3rd best (or 2nd worst) player left out of the 4 remaining, would you be more willing to take the deal then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

The deal is :

Great for Player 2
    Good for player 1
    ok for player 3
    crap for player 4

Player 4 can play on and only risk €75, and hope to win €700 more. Unless he feels he is hopelessly outclassed he should play on, similarly for player 4 but to a less extreme.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I wouldnt accept this deal as player 3/4. Player 1/2 are doing ok from it, especially player 1 who is getting 200 less then the maximum while not even having the majority of the tournie chips. nice deal for him alright!

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

DeVore wrote:
    I wouldnt accept this deal as player 3/4. Player 1/2 are doing ok from it, especially player 1 who is getting 200 less then the maximum while not even having the majority of the tournie chips. nice deal for him alright!

DeV.

Who do you think has the better deal, player 1 or 2? Your agument is right, but a lot of the time the person with the 2nd most chips is the most vunerable around the money, as they have the most to lose. If Im chip leader I will often lean very heavily on 2nd, as the shorter stacks have a lot less to lose and eventually call. But that might not be the case here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

DeVore wrote:
    Deal negotiation is an important skill. Marq will tell you that I've negotiated a particular deal at final table that, while complex enough, happened to hand me a sizeably larger chunk of the change then I should probably have gotten. Despite that, everyone left the table feeling happy

:)

DeV.

Sounds nice.....can I have your mobile number incase I am ever in this situation :D:D thinking about it no need as it will be a while before I have to make a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I wouldn't see any sane player in player 4's position going for that one, it's seems largely fair for the other players. Personally I'd angle for €500 or keep playing, I'm pretty comforatble playing four handed and three handed with a stack that's decent compared to the blinds.

It's only when it gets heads up that I get deal itchy. :)

If it werent for the fact that there is so much play left and that we are told player 2 is an excellent player then I wouldnt feel too bad for player 2. As it is, I'd say its a bad enough deal for him as he can play on and see how he does and he's virtually guarunteed 500 in a later deal so he risks little for a shot at improving his situation considerably...

I'll do a deal with 3 players if we are within one double-through of each other. Usually I'll suggest it but only if I'm not chip leader or near it. Also, considering that usually the Fitz prize structures are such that 1st+2nd+3rd / 3 is more then 2nd place, it seems like a good deal at that point. Player 1 has the best deal of the lot here, his situation is far from unassailable and he's getting a high % of the max.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

No Deals!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement