Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 10-01-2005 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

You're late(little drunk) for tourny..You only get 1000, everyone else at table has between 3K - 8K..You're dealt AJo, it's folded to you in MP...blinds are at 50/100......Action.Why.?????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Go back to the pub. Why? Because playing poker when you're starting to sober up is nasty.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Throw your cards in the air, snog the dealer and moon the club as you are turfed out. :)

Interesting question. I like limping as a tactic but then you have no idea where you are. Min raising seems like a good idea but hard to call a serious reraise. A big raise commits you to the pot because of your stack size... I might go all in and hope someone with KQ or QJ calls looking to find me with a medium PP... thats kinda ropey though. I fookin hate AJ. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

You have 10 bbs, so AJ is now the nuts. Do whatever you can to get action on the hand, personally I would usually make it 300 and hope for a reraise. At 10 BBs once you commit to a hand there should be no turning back. Usually this means moving all in preflop, but the blinds arent worth it at 50 100.

Limping is an option but a good player limping in that situation will usually be put on a much better hand than that, so it will be hard to get action unless your beaten.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Aye, unless you limp and get reraise by someone you know as an utter rock then you are really playing this hand one way or another, albeit that I wouldnt be crazy about that fact!

Also, the size of your stack my induce loose play from the other players as they dont see you being able to do them much damage.

Hector, you and I are going to have to stop agreeing on stuff. It simply isnt on.

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I tend to limp with AJ. If it's re-raised then fair enough I fold but if theres no raise and you hit an Ace on the flop it's probably good. I'm intrigued as to why a good player would be put on a better hand than AJ for just limping in MP. A good player limping in MP could have almost anything imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

musician wrote:
    I tend to limp with AJ. If it's re-raised then fair enough I fold but if theres no raise and you hit an Ace on the flop it's probably good. I'm intrigued as to why a good player would be put on a better hand than AJ for just limping in MP. A good player limping in MP could have almost anything imho.

There are times when AJ is a great hand, (not many), but this is one. The shorter stack you have the less time you have to wait for a good hand, and so your standard goes down. With 6 or 7 BBs you are pusing on any ace, so Aj is a monster! I would usually fold AJ in EP and maybe limp with it in MP, but your starting hand selection should be dictated by game conditions.

When I say good player I mean an excellent one who fully understands and adjusts to blind structure and stack size, and a open limp with 10bbs in mp at a table of Big stacks is usually AA KK AK QQ or some other premium hand. Average players will limp here with QJo but thats one of the main reasons they are average.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Of course forgot about stack size. As to the good player limping with a great hand I agree with what you're saying. In the fitz though the limper with QJ is probably the most common player you'll meet at the tables :)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

My intention was to raise 400..but I just said "wwaise" and threw a pinky out there...Called by one guy in cut off, everyone else folds...Flop came 9 high all clubs...I had Jack clubs....I went all in..He called me with a A9 (no club)..And I was gone....

I felt commited with the 500 raise..
    1)I think I should have gone all in.
    2)Limped...
    3)Or a 300raise...

As many of you have advocated....

Advertisement