Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave BS ID and Antenna

• 10-01-2005 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Since I moved house at the weekend I was kinda worried whether my Ripwave would work at new location. It does but it's not great. My base station ID is 246 which as far as I know is Three Rock. This seems a bit ridiculous as I'm in Ranelagh and always have been - probably less than 2Km from RTE. Is there any point in asking them to change base station for me or would it be equally poor. Also I'm thinking of attaching an external aerial. I've seen some posts on this before but no concrete method. Anyone experimented with this recently? If I got a 20dB increase it would probably be green constantly. Would the antennae need an external power source?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Anyone know if there is an easy way to tell if a Ripwave modem is 2.4GHz or 3.5GHz? THe external antenna will have to be tuned. If it's 2.4GHz (WiFi) then it'll be easy to get one with a MCX connector. BUt if it's 3.5 it's a different story altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

doesn't it say it on the box? i think mine does - 2.4ghz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 G|N|T

They way of telling the difference is:

if you take the cover off the end of the ripwave you'll see a s/n, if it says FFFF its 2.4, if it says FFAA or FFBA is 3.5ghz.
    Also if the aerial can turn 360* its 2.4.

Advertisement