Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warzone2100, best strategy game ever???

Options
  • 10-01-2005 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

im trying to incite a terrible uproar here. give us some opinions.

has anyone played this stunning game from way back when, just as C&C tiberian sun was coming this little gem snuck in from Pumkin Studios and blew me away. lost it for a few years and i got back into it last night and still am baffled by the complexity of the whole affair and yet pure simplicity. what a stunning example of smart thinking game designers.

in my opinion, the best strategy game ever. one of the first truly 3D strategy games to utilise the 3D environment to its fullest (hight advantage, indirect fire etc). i challenge anyone to play this game and not blow their pants when they first send a recon (radar) unit with mortar tanks attached to target an enemy. the first barrage of mortars sent over a mountain into an enemy installation is a sight to behold.
    from then it just gets better and better with howitzers that can fire across an entire level, anti-artillery artillery, VTOL arcraft, hover tanks... cant give any more away.
    it just became free to download over the internet after it was taken off the shop shelves due to a petition from avid fans. you owe yourself a go of this game. cant go wrong when its free. download it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Liver-Lips wrote:
    it just became free to download over the internet after it was taken off the shop shelves due to a petition from avid fans. you owe yourself a go of this game. cant go wrong when its free. download it!

I presume its on the Underdogs then? I remember the game, but never played it. Sounds a bit like Total Annihilation but in true 3D. Every knows that was the ultimate RTS however! :p

Ill try it out if I find a link.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Was a great game alright. Good concept and nice execution. The wide varietys of technologys and redesignable vehicles definately added a nice touch. More than worth playing if its free :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Starcraft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

Homeworld. Screw you and your hippy games!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

GLTetris

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Liver-Lips

i have starcraft and before writing the thread also went back to it just to make sure that i was in a sane state of mind to make such an assertation. as a traditional warcraft era RTS starcraft was perfection, but it just didnt hook me the second time like it did the first.
    rather like a drug that...

anyway, my point is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Indeed it is a brilliant RTS game, there was a lot to it, and that imo was a large part of the problem, there was TOO much to it, it took the guts of 7 hours to tech up fully, while it was great fun to play, theres only so many times you can play it before getting bored horrably.

Im shocked Total Annihilation hasnt been mentioned yet, possably one of the most addictive RTS games I have ever played, gets insanely spammy late game, and its just in general, mad craic to play on LAN with a few mates, sending in your 700 tanks, and watching them crumble to his wall of big bertha's, etc etc, its just mad mad fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Berger wrote:
    Homeworld. Screw you and your hippy games!
    Finally, another person with some sense, Homeworld rocks!

Pugsley wrote:

Im shocked Total Annihilation hasnt been mentioned yet, possably one of the most addictive RTS games I have ever played, gets insanely spammy late game, and its just in general, mad craic to play on LAN with a few mates, sending in your 700 tanks, and watching them crumble to his wall of big bertha's, etc etc, its just mad mad fun :)
    Matt Simis wrote:
    I presume its on the Underdogs then? I remember the game, but never played it. Sounds a bit like Total Annihilation but in true 3D. Every knows that was the ultimate RTS however! :p
    Matt

You wouldnt be so shocked if you read the 2nd post! :p

Matt

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

here's another Homeworld fan. best strategy ever. shame my cd's ****ed.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Ok not best ever but the best I've played in a long while is Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. I haven't enjoyed an RTS this much since the first Homeworld. Think Homeworld crossed with ST - Starfleet Command (I think it was called). Amazing gfx, tons of depth, NUKES and really, really big explosions.

Maximilian wrote:
    Ok not best ever but the best I've played in a long while is Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. I haven't enjoyed an RTS this much since the first Homeworld. Think Homeworld crossed with ST - Starfleet Command (I think it was called). Amazing gfx, tons of depth, NUKES and really, really big explosions.

Yep, Nexus is quite cool alright.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

yep warzone2100 was good on the playstartion :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

where be this free download...

What about rome total war being best strategy?

p.s rubber spoon rubber spoon rubber spoon rubber spoon rubber spoon rubber spoon rubber spoon rubber spoon rubber spoon rubber spoon rubber spoon rubber spoon rubber spoon rubber spoon rubber spoon rubber spoon

sealab 2021...happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Liver-Lips

dont new games by default get excluded from the best game ever catagory? rome is far too new to have sunk into the gaming swamp and festered fora while already. besides my PC is an old pentium 2 and just cant handle anything past ye old 16mb Banshee card era. anyhow must get into TA. played it a bit when it came out but never owned it. guess its something to look into.

dont know where warzone is located. but before finding my own copy, went to the website and they said it was available free. think www.warzone2100.com has links or search with google.

Advertisement