Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky One

• 10-01-2005 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Can someone settle a bet for me? I say that Sky One used to be called just "Sky" and that for a short while there was also a "Sky Two" which was why they changed the name of it. I don't remember even seeing Sky Two, so it may have been a rumour, but it was the official reason for the name change. This was back in the early 90s, as far as I remember.

Anyone else remember the story?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yep, you have it there. I remember seeing Sky Two but it was short lived and crap (I don't even think it broadcast for a full day).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I remember they had a really annoying song that played in the advert for the launch of it.

Something like "Yeah baby you should see this, You should see Sky Two!"

horrible stuff...

The big pull for Sky Two was the fact that they showed Xena: Warrior Princess on it. Which was brand new at the time. You could only get Hercules on Sky One.

Oh and to start off with it was The Sky Channel.

You can see all the old promos here:

http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/otherchannels/skychannel.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

corblimey wrote:
    I don't remember even seeing Sky Two, so it may have been a rumour, but it was the official reason for the name change. This was back in the early 90s, as far as I remember.

It wasn't the arrival of Sky 2 which prompted the renaming of Sky Channel to Sky One - this happened after the merger of BSB and Sky Television to form BSkyB (early in 1990). The idea was to make it the new BSkyB's flagship channel. It was at its coolest back in those days, too... (the second ident on this page)
    http://thetvroom.com/area-c/sky/p-sky-one-past-a.shtml

Sky 2 arrived around 1996, and for a time Sky One was rebranded 'Sky 1' in response. http://thetvroom.com/area-c/sky/p-sky-defunct-d.shtml
    It aired from 7pm-2am-ish daily, as it was sharing its analogue satellite transponder with some other channel and there wasn't enough space (or programming) for more round-the-clock scheduling.

Monkey Fudge, you're right about that promo - I remember that song - very weak. Still have that on a free Sky demo tape somewhere. A similarly bad song was used for the launch of Sky Sports 2 - the suited dancing man well with session singers! Hilariously bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

I remember I taped the opening night of Sky 2 because they had 5 hours of back-to-back X-Files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

So basically, Sky Channel -> Sky One -> Sky 1 [Sky 2] -> sky onc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

But what ever happened to The Super Channel :confused: Or was that just a previous incarnation of Sky 2?

Edit:
    Ah, there it is. It became the wonderfull NBC :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I still remember the day Sky started. DJ Kat was on. I remember they used to show stuff like I Dream of Jeannie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

The DJ Kat show! I used to love that :D Think I still probably have taped episodes of that on some old videotapes :D

Advertisement