Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Graphics card

Options
  • 10-01-2005 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

i have a ati 128mb 9700 pro what would be a good upgrade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

6800Ultra / X850XT PE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭davie_b

Gainward FX 5200 256MB
    not a bad option it depends on your price range

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I would say a 9800pro as i had one but seeing i have a nvidia 6600gt (AGP) i can recomend it. Both cards are around the €200 mark. The nvidia does win in most reviews, i cant see the difference. The 6600gt & 9800pro are a hell of a lot better than the nvidia 5200 i was using after my 9800pro died, not sure if it was 128 or 256mb but i dont think that makes a difference with curent games, i wouldnt recomend a 5200 for games. It strugled with ut2k4 at 1024 res and all setting to low, thats my experience with it anyway everything maxed now with the 6600gt (same as for the 9800pro)

Jozi

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Jammer wrote:
    6800Ultra / X850XT PE

Any ideas where you could get a x850 handy????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Nukem wrote:
    Any ideas where you could get a x850 handy????????????

You plan on getting a PCI-Express motherboard ? As you will need one if you want the ATI x850 to work.

www.overclockers.co.uk clame they will have the x850 in stock late next week. I be sirprised if they do maybe in the next month we might c something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

BadCharlie wrote:
    You plan on getting a PCI-Express motherboard ? As you will need one if you want the ATI x850 to work.

www.overclockers.co.uk clame they will have the x850 in stock late next week. I be sirprised if they do maybe in the next month we might c something.

Plan on getting a whole new system - would love a x850xt but wont be available til a few months. Probably settle for a Leadtek 6600gt til the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

depends how much u wana spend Kazu. also depend n wether agp or pci-e and sli???? If money is no option and agp then x800 range is recommended, if pci-e SLI probably 6800 ultra's or GT's is best. If price is an issue and agp, probably a 9800 pro is good value, thats my opinion anyway, you wont be sorry with any of these when upgrading from your 9700 pro :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

gline wrote:
    depends how much u wana spend Kazu. also depend n wether agp or pci-e and sli???? If money is no option and agp then x800

so would you recomend the x800 over the 6800gt?
    much the same price

tuxy wrote:
    so would you recomend the x800 over the 6800gt?
    much the same price
    Ohhhhhhh, thats a tough one, i cant really answer that as i only have used the x800, ive never used a 6800gt and i havnt seen one in use. It kinda depends on what games u wana play i think, x800=HL2, 6800=doom3 etc. I will say this for the x800 series, they overclock REALLY well , better than the 6800 IMHO. Which would make them more value for money. Tough choice though, either 1 is great, i used to ove nvidia but when i got the x800 i wa converted to ATI, LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

davie_b wrote:
    Gainward FX 5200 256MB
    not a bad option it depends on your price range

He said an upgrade!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

well its a shuttle system that i have so i would be keeping it at stock speed
    so im still undecided on x800 pro vs. 6800gt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

tuxy wrote:
    well its a shuttle system that i have so i would be keeping it at stock speed
    so im still undecided on x800 pro vs. 6800gt

The x800 is good but does not have all the pipes as a x800xt would have. Maybe Gline was lucky and unlocked the other 4? But its something to keep in mind before you buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭dixsey

jozi wrote:
    I would say a 9800pro as i had one but seeing i have a nvidia 6600gt (AGP) i can recomend it. Both cards are around the €200 mark. The nvidia does win in most reviews, i cant see the difference. The 6600gt & 9800pro are a hell of a lot better than the nvidia 5200 i was using after my 9800pro died, not sure if it was 128 or 256mb but i dont think that makes a difference with curent games, i wouldnt recomend a 5200 for games. It strugled with ut2k4 at 1024 res and all setting to low, thats my experience with it anyway everything maxed now with the 6600gt (same as for the 9800pro)

Jozi
    dont go near an fx5200 they,re shiite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

dont go near an fx5200 they,re shiite
    Yep I know.
    Wasnt even a good tempory gfx card

Jozi

BadCharlie wrote:
    The x800 is good but does not have all the pipes as a x800xt would have. Maybe Gline was lucky and unlocked the other 4? But its something to keep in mind before you buy.
    No i didnt unlock the xtra 4, i tried, but it didnt work. Tuxy mentioned price, so thats why id recommended x800, is cheaper. As for 6800GT, well i dont know how good they are, ive seen loads of good reviews, i think its like the amd Vs intel arguement though, really up to personal choice mostly

as for fx5200, dont even think about it, they belong in the bin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

i thought the 5200 post was a joke... :eek:

i wouldnt wipe my arse on 1 tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

It would be painful alright, either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

I'd say that the 6800gt spanks the x800pro. That is unless you get a lucky x800 that all the pipes unlock on, but I think they are few and far between these days.

My 6800gt will clock up to 420/1120 from 350/1000. Id call that a respectable overclock. I havent tried flashing it to give more voltage to the core and memory to get a better overclock yet either. Many people report that this lets them get much higher still (at a big cost in heat).

Another thing to remember is that the 6800 series has SM 3.0 and HDR support. (not sure if theyre the same, lol). HDR is VERY pretty, find someone who has the card and get them to run rthdribl on it (free demo, google it). Its scarily realistic looking. HDR in farcry adds another dimension to the game aswell. I don't see why anyone would buy a new card without support for the latest features.

6800GTs go for between 417 and 500 on komplett. mine was the XFX for 460 and I think it was well worth it. X800pros just that much cheaper to justify the performance loss.

btw, i dont think that its the case that x800=hl2. i run it 1280x1024, max everything 4xAA, 8xAF and it runs like butter. I think it was Farcry that the 6800 series got creamed in.

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

Rofl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

i found found that my AGP slot is only 4X speed would the 6600gt be bottlenecked by the slow AGP slot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Very very little, if at all.

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

I've been told its pointless getting an agp x8 card if the port is only 4 as it really reduces speed. Just what I have heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

You might loose like....1fps at the MOST, if at all from using an AGP 8x card on a 4X slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Kazu wrote:
    i found found that my AGP slot is only 4X speed would the 6600gt be bottlenecked by the slow AGP slot

Nope

padraigf wrote:
    I'd say that the 6800gt spanks the x800pro. That is unless you get a lucky x800 that all the pipes unlock on, but I think they are few and far between these days.

My 6800gt will clock up to 420/1120 from 350/1000. Id call that a respectable overclock. I havent tried flashing it to give more voltage to the core and memory to get a better overclock yet either. Many people report that this lets them get much higher still (at a big cost in heat).

Another thing to remember is that the 6800 series has SM 3.0 and HDR support. (not sure if theyre the same, lol). HDR is VERY pretty, find someone who has the card and get them to run rthdribl on it (free demo, google it). Its scarily realistic looking. HDR in farcry adds another dimension to the game aswell. I don't see why anyone would buy a new card without support for the latest features.

6800GTs go for between 417 and 500 on komplett. mine was the XFX for 460 and I think it was well worth it. X800pros just that much cheaper to justify the performance loss.

btw, i dont think that its the case that x800=hl2. i run it 1280x1024, max everything 4xAA, 8xAF and it runs like butter. I think it was Farcry that the 6800 series got creamed in.
    how many games have pixel shader 3.0 support?? hardly any. and HL2 does run better on ati based gpus. also your overclock is about standard for an x800 aswell, and core speed is faster on x800, but tbh they are even enough when it comes to playing games. Like i said its really up to personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭clearz

gline wrote:
    how many games have pixel shader 3.0 support?? hardly any. and HL2 does run better on ati based gpus. also your overclock is about standard for an x800 aswell, and core speed is faster on x800, but tbh they are even enough when it comes to playing games. Like i said its really up to personal choice.
    Dam all but you are not buying a graphics card for the past, you are buying it for the future. And upcomming titles will use these features

its been out for well over 6 months and still barely any titles using it, which means when they do it will be time to upgrade again anyway, no point in having to pay more for a graphics card with features that you will probably not use for a year or more, and will have upgraded again before you do, newer cards will support it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭clearz

What major titles have came out in the last 6 months Doom 3 and HL 2 both which have been in development for years. Far Cry uses PS3 an HDRL. OK buy a PS2 card that costs the same anyway

• Advertisement

clearz wrote:
    What major titles have came out in the last 6 months Doom 3 and HL 2 both which have been in development for years. Far Cry uses PS3 an HDRL. OK buy a PS2 card that costs the same anyway
    Like i said before its personal choice, they are both as good as each other, if you are buying a card solely because it has ps3.0 then thats up to you, personaly i dont think its worth choosing a card because it has PS3.0, just because they are the 1st cards to support it, it doesnt mean they are the best, that technology will be expanded on son enough and there will be something better before we see games using ps3.0. The only problem i see with x800's is the gpu temp being allowed to run too high, which a decent cooler sorts out anyway, but it is bad releasing a card with a crappy cooler and say it is safe to run a gpu above 70 safely all the time.

Advertisement