Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Graphics card

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

Nvidia cards would be better if you ran any linux distrabution.

Bascially as it stands the 6800GT>X800Pro and the 6800ultra< x800xt

However ATI will have out soon the X800XL card which is 100 euro cheaper and matches the performance of the 6800gt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

will the X800XL be pci-e only?

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

No idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

tuxy wrote:
    Don’t see why it should be? Majority of people are still on AGP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

tuxy wrote:

It is only pci-e only at the moment, same for the x850. But maybe in a few months time they might release the AGP version but i dont know!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

BadCharlie wrote:
    It is only pci-e only at the moment, same for the x850. But maybe in a few months time they might release the AGP version but i dont know!!

I would doubt it - but i checked it out and found nothing. I really dont know. But is shows a turn towards the PCI-E if they are placing those cards on the market first.All you i found on the net is the same question as yours "are they doing and AGP version" Will keep my eye out Tux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Felstorm

a bit off topic but whats the difference between a 6600 with 256mb and a 6600GT 128mb apart from the different ram types because im looking to get this Grainward 6600 but theres no specs listed.

even though the 6600gt has less memory it will give you better frame rates
    it has a core speed of 500MHz and memory speed of 1000mhz while the none gt runs at 300mhz core and 550mhz memory
    if i had the choice i would go with the 6600gt

the nameing systems the gpu makers have in place is awful and very misleading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Felstorm

how did you find out the stats or is that for the normal 6600 line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

In general a higher core speed, memory speed and memory bandwith are much better than more memory. Also, the naming scheme of nvidia cards implies that the 6600gt would be faster.

6600 XT/LE < 6600 < 6600GT < 6600 Ultra

Some of those cards might not exist but thats the way nvidia names their cards, and it holds for all of their ranges, as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Felstorm wrote:
    how did you find out the stats or is that for the normal 6600 line?
    ya thats the normal stats for those cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

padraigf wrote:
    In general a higher core speed, memory speed and memory bandwith are much better than more memory. Also, the naming scheme of nvidia cards implies that the 6600gt would be faster.

Some of those cards might not exist but thats the way nvidia names their cards, and it holds for all of their ranges, as far as I know.

Theres no 6600XT cause they got rid a that with the FX line

Also speed isint everything as a real fast gpu and memory wont do anything without a good pixal shader and vertex shader :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

There is a worrying trend taking place with people who know nothing attempting to advise people on what the best plan of action is for an upgrade and giving bad advice. I'm sure if it continues people will never ask for advice on what to buy because people will be incapable of telling them what is better and why.

A 5200 from a 9700pro would be a DOWNGRADE for gods sake..

god have mercy on the person that advises someone to downgrade instead of upgrade when the person seeking said upgrade finds it to be slower than their old components :rolleyes:

If you're not 100% certain of what you're advising someone to do when they're looking for advice then please refrain from posting rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

padraigf wrote:

Why then are the 6800U agp and XTPE so close in terms of performance when there's such a massive difference in clockspeeds? I would have thought the whole current intel vs amd64 performance numbers would have made people realise that clockspeed isn't everything. How about the number of pipelines on said card? Vertex shaders? pixel shaders? Features? Does none of that play a part in your video card purchase? I know it did in mine...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I would say he's referring to cards in the same family. The amount of people who bought a 256meg 9200 or fx5200, over something like a 128meg ti4200 or 9700pro is incredible.

Like for Nvidia right now, in the 6th family (6xxx), a 6800 will be better than the highest of the 6600's, and any 6600's would be better than any 6200's. Within each level, there are generally 3 or 4 speed bins from lowest (XT/LE or just play 6x00), to highest (GT then ultra).

It gets more confusing as ATI's scheme is rather arseways, where a 9500 is faster than a 9600, and now where generations come and disappear quickly (X700), and can possibly have many variations (9550, X850), and then top to bottom speed grades go: LE < vanillla < pro < XT, and the XL could conceivably fit in before the XT but after the pro, depending on the app.... Also, not all of one generation of ATI would support the same features, whereas, ALL 6xxx series from nvidia support all the same features, as would all of the fx 5xxx series (they learned after the gf4mx debacle).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

FFS people, I was only giving advice applicable to his situation.

airetam_storm : I'm well aware that theres no XT's in the new Geforce 6 series, I was making a generalisation for the entire nVidia range, as I repeatedly mentioned in my post. If you're desperate for someone to try and seem better than at least read their post in full please. Also, if you don't even know how to spell the word *pixel*, please dont try to teach me how I need to know about "pixal shaders". He was asking about a straigh comparison between a 6600 and a 6600gt. Not broadly between all cards.

TacT: You're a moderator, you should have a bit more sense. Please pay a bit more attention to what I said before you correct me as well. I wasn't comparing core and memory clock speeds across different cards, or features or anything like that. I was just saying that on two quite similar cards, the core and memory clock are more useful than more memory.

Everyone is just dying for something to correct today...
    Thanks astrofool, you've read my post in context, more than I can say for our other local geniuses.

Advertisement