Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Want Broadband!!!

• 10-01-2005 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My friend Lisa here, she wants broadband, she live at the otherside of the WIT College who have like 5mb a scond download speeds but yet she has been told broadband is not in her area yet.

She contacted Eircom and they said its not available in her area and she ha to be within 5metres of where the broadband is which seem to be a load of rubbish to me.

She contacted Net Booster who offer internet through your sky dish and they demanded 200 euro just to set it up, which seems ludicrous seen as i didnt pay anything for my installation of my bb from esat.

She also contacted ripwave who said there not available in waterford, im sure iv heard of people with it and this also seems rubbish as everyone else in waterford can get broadband.

How come in waterford City in a populated housing estate such as woodlawn grove she cannot get any broadband service except to pay an extortionate amount of money like 200 euro for her broadband

Does anyone have any ideas, she has tried everything and is at the end of her tether, she is a programmer and really could do with decent internet access. Any advice would be greatful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'm up in hillview and I have broadband with Eircom for the last 2 years. I'm suprised you can't get it out in woodlawn groove. You are however in luck, check out digiweb. You should be able to avail of their wireless broadband services. http://www.digiweb.ie/

Let me know how it goes and best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

neon_glows wrote:
    She contacted Eircom and they said its not available in her area and she ha to be within 5metres of where the broadband is which seem to be a load of rubbish to me..

I think you mean 5km. Someone will correct me as I don't know the area, but aren't cablesurf in Waterford with their 9Mb connection?
    Failing that, look around for wireless I suppose.

dlofnep: Just signed that petition. God I hate that frog!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

Recently went through the same problem with Eircom and broadband. They were estimating 2007 before it became available in Ferrybank (about 3Km from town). Went to Digiweb, disconnected the eircom line and have not looked back since.

Cablesurf are in Dungarven.. Not in Waterford City. I've been e-mailing that guy for years. He has no intentions of distributing in Waterford City :(
    kin9pin wrote:
    dlofnep: Just signed that petition. God I hate that frog!

Good man yerself :D The frog annoys the piss out of me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

i know of a few people in waterford who are just outside of town and have digiweb BB.
    they seem to have no problems with it, if you are just browsing and downloading

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Eskimo Jo

Hey guys. This is Lisa with the broadband problem. I checked out the Digiweb site and it looks good. I think I'll get it, I've printed out the direct debit form and everything. I'll let you know if it works out.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Oh and kin9pin, it probably was 5km that they said, but surely I'm within 5km of the WIT? I live right across the road.

Best of luck with it Lisa. Anyone I've heard that has Digiweb had generally a good service.

Eskimo Jo wrote:
    Edit: Oh and kin9pin, it probably was 5km that they said, but surely I'm within 5km of the WIT? I live right across the road.

Good luck with Digiweb. Is the exchange in the WIT then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

yea good luck with digiweb, lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Thanks for giving lisa a bit of help there guys, poor gils going nuts since september!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

broadband is fecking class.we have here in the on-campus apartments in maynooth. bout the only good thing bout these apartments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 IEEE

Aren't all the colleges connected to HEAnet's sooperdooper national fibre ring? Hence explaining WIT's 5MBps connection...

IEEE

When i said WIT has a 5mb a sec internety connectio i may be very wrong, i did download files from the net at speeds of 5 mbs a second. Hoiwever i have at home 512kbs download speed but my downloading speed is roughly 52kbs at best, ten times less thasn what it should be, therefor 10 times 5mbs is 50mbs a second, is it possible the colleges have a 50mb per second connection.

how much would a 300 metre lan cable cost, i could plug one into the college network and thread the cable through the window in the IT building and accross the road to lisa's house, 50mbs connection, sure she wouldnt be complaining, lol!

Advertisement