Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

very slow sunday drivers

Options
  • 10-01-2005 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭

2 sundays in a row now I've found myself crawling along behind some clown doing 20-25mph in a 60 zone. Given the extreme hesitancy of the drivers and the time of day (sunday evening) I'm guessing that they were both returning from a long liquid lunch.

Is there anything that I can do in this situation? - yesterday I was getting tempted to deliberately drive into the f*cker just so the guards would turn up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Phone the guards and report them - that would constitute dangerous driving...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

I find this as well, I have a decent enough drive to do most sundays and always get stuck behind these people for the majority of the journey. If there is a corner or a slight bend within visual range, they are doing 30, on the straight i find they speed then i cant overtake.

ARRGGHH

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Driving from Waterford to Dublin yesterday evening (Sunday) I got stuck behind
    a guy doing under 40 on on a road with a 60 limit 5 different times..

On one occasion, I went to over take one on a long straight and he accelerated
    up to about 55 as I was over taking him.. f**kin a*hole.. :mad:

I felt like running the guy off the road.. and to top it all off, he onlt had one
    front light working.. :rolleyes:

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

loyatemu wrote:
    2 sundays in a row now I've found myself crawling along behind some clown doing 20-25mph in a 60 zone. Given the extreme hesitancy of the drivers and the time of day (sunday evening) I'm guessing that they were both returning from a long liquid lunch.

A learner driver out for a lesson with a family member/friend after their Sunday dinner and they might have forgotten to display the "L" plates perhaps??

The Gardaí usually don't take any notice if you phone them, unless there's a pile up with injuries.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I find that if I am getting really pissed at a slow driver in front and I reckon I mightn't get the opportunity to pass I will pull into a petrol station or whereever and do something for a minute or two.
    I know I will in all probability catch up with them again but I persuade myself that it is the wiser thing to do (compared to sitting behind a crap/dangerous driver for several miles)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Horeb

Some Very Slow drivers can be as nearly dangerous as Speeding drivers.

The best idea is to pull in calm down for 5 mins and then continue as they are usual on Bad Primary roads or Secondary Roads and to be honest brain dead as in there relaxing drive they can frustrate people who will then take chances in the most dangerous circumstances to over take hence causing an accident, people as such in my opinion be arrested for lack of progress eventhough I am not one for going at high speeds these people can cause severe problems and blood pressures to boil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

I remember being at work and this guy was giving out about people driving fast on the motorways, eg faster then him.

So he said that he loves to go into the fast lane and stay at the same speed as a car in the slow lane which is right next to him...so faster drivers can't overtake.

I nearly flipped cause I really hate drivers who do this and I always guessed they do it on purpose just too annoy other drivers behind.

The same guy purposely drive sslowly on other roads, He thinks he is doing the country a favour by slowling others down.

I wonder how many other people are like this guy. I wish there was something I could do to take people like this off the road.

I mean there is one thing about speeding, but there is another about driving so slow. I reckon if you can't drive your car at normal speeds then you shouldn't be driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

I find that if I am getting really pissed at a slow driver in front and I reckon I mightn't get the opportunity to pass I will pull into a petrol station or whereever and do something for a minute or two.
    Genuinely - fair play to you for having the self control to do that but personally I go nuts when this happens. You should try travelling from Limerick to Clonmel on a friday night at 5.30.... the amount of people that drive routinely at 40mph is intolerable and any time I see a near miss it alway the case of someone stuck behind one of these slouches too long and eventually goin nuts and overtakin where they shouldn't!

Best solution: keep a few J's handy for such occasions and you wont care what speed your travelling at!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Boggle wrote:
    Best solution: keep a few J's handy for such occasions and you wont care what speed your travelling at!!

LOL, Reminds me of that movie Cheech and Chong Still Smokin. Best solution is to overtake them! Pulling over is a waste of time, who's to say that another slower driver is going to pass you while you're passing time and also by the time you do catch up with them there will probably be another 10 cars stuck behind them!

The problem is not with the slow driver but the car behind the slow driver who doesn't know how to overtake. This causes a rolling road block which is more annoying than 1 slow driver.

Also did you ever notice that these are the drivers that won't pull into the hard shoulder to let you pass safely even though they are allowed to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Micra_Man

Slow drivers are bad to be stuck behind, but drunk drivers are worse, not only that don't exceed 25mph, the constantly weave all over the road, making it impossible to overtake them. This has happened me twice when I was visiting relatives in Westmeath. They were probally thinking they won't get caught, but the best thing is too stay behind them and report them to the Gardaí.

Boggle wrote:
    Genuinely - fair play to you for having the self control to do that but personally I go nuts when this happens.
    The only reason I manage to do it is because I know that after a few miles I will have done a stupid dangerous manouvre or will have made myself hoarse shouting at them!
    MickFarr wrote:
    Also did you ever notice that these are the drivers that won't pull into the hard shoulder to let you pass safely even though they are allowed to do this.
    They are not obliged to though and also increase the risk of a puncture or hitting something/someone.

kbannon wrote:
    They are not obliged to though and also increase the risk of a puncture or hitting something/someone.

Of course they're not obliged!! We're not obliged to open doors for the ladies, we’re not obliged to donate to charity, we're not obliged to do lots of things but we do them. Why?

Every time you drive a car you run the risk of getting a puncture or hitting something/someone. If someone thinks like that they shouldn't be on the road in the first place.

If I'm driving along doing 60 and I see a faster car coming up behind me I'll pull into the hard shoulder to let them pass. I don't care if he's speeding as long as he speeds on by me safely. If I can't pull in to a hard shoulder I make sure there's plenty of room between me and the car in front so he can over take safely.

IMO most truck drivers do this when they get a chance and a quick blink of the indicators is a nice way to say thanks. :D

Hang on - Im not defending poor driving. I pull over and I hope others will too - I merely stated that nobody is obliged and should not feel bullied into doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Wait till they get cars that just hvae KM on the spedo. They will be doing 60k an hour and still think its mph

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Terra wrote:
    So he said that he loves to go into the fast lane and stay at the same speed as a car in the slow lane which is right next to him...so faster drivers can't overtake.
    Technically that's obstruction. So you could report him.

kbannon wrote:
    Hang on - Im not defending poor driving. I pull over and I hope others will too - I merely stated that nobody is obliged and should not feel bullied into doing so.

Sorry but I didn't mean for you to think I was talking about you. :o As you have pointed out you do pull in so fair play to you. I also agree that aggressive driving is not the way to solve that kind of problem but I think that a lot of these drivers don’t realize that they can pull into the hard shoulder (when safe) to let you past.

Technically that's obstruction. So you could report him.
    a waste of a phone call methinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

I don't think there is much point in reporting, gave him an earfull though, kinda embarrased him in front of a group about it.

I also don't like people that are driving slow and won't pull into the hard shoulder, ok the shouldn't feel pressured into it, but isn't it just common sense and courtesy to do so.

I'm dreading when the km comes in, I just know it will mean everyone driving slower..

There changing the speed limits too I hear. Motorways will be faster but every other road will be slower

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MickFarr wrote:
    If I'm driving along doing 60 and I see a faster car coming up behind me I'll pull into the hard shoulder to let them pass. I don't care if he's speeding as long as he speeds on by me safely. If I can't pull in to a hard shoulder I make sure there's plenty of room between me and the car in front so he can over take safely.

IMO most truck drivers do this when they get a chance and a quick blink of the indicators is a nice way to say thanks. :D

Could not agree more. I do same
    kbannon wrote:
    I will pull into a petrol station or whereever and do something for a minute or two

Only wish I could be as relaxed about it. I don't really get worked up, but I'd go into a state of concentrating on the next available opportunity to safely overtake

• Advertisement
Advertisement