Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows Installer

• 10-01-2005 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is having problems with a windows installer that is initiallising every time he boots into windows.

He has no idea what it is, but a small window opens entitled 'initialising windows installer' (I think) and a progress horizontal bar gets about 3/4 way across before the window disappears again.

He has scanned for virii and adware. The only thing I can think of is that it is an incomplete install of something. How can he track this and either remove the program that is not fully installed or complete the installation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

First off I would go into device manager and look out for any yellow exclamation marks indicating a piece of hardware is not installed correctly, and take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

try this...
    open regedit
    navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

see if there any funny looking entries that look like they are trying to run windows installer, if there are any, remove them. But be careful about what you do remove

KR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Thanks for those guys...I'll try both of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Checked out the registry and I think I've found the bastard...didn't do
    anything cause I thought I'd check first!

Name: NvCp1Daemon
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCp1Daemon initialize
    Last write time: 11/01/2005 - 22:12

This isn't anything to do with Norton Antivirus si it?? It seems to be the
    problem cause the last write time was when the installer popped up on
    the screen. I then verified the write time the next time the installer
    popped up.

Shall I just delete it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Bodan

no thats fine , its the Tweaks Ui in the control panel i think either way your systems needs it . I had a problem with the windows installer a few weeks backs . Everytime i ran a program it poped up , got to a stage when it was really annoying.I worked out that i deleted the paint shop pro 7 installations files and for some reason that made it popup constantly . If you cant work out whats making it startup try installing windows installer from microsofts website

• Advertisement
Advertisement