Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigabit. Worth it??

Options
  • 10-01-2005 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is it worth getting gigabit lan(1 gig) as opposed to 100meg lan for lan gaming or video streaming (lan will have about 5 pcs). Is it worth it , as i have seen cheap gigabit switches.

Also is 108 meg wireless worth getting as opposed to 54meg wireless for the same purpose as above??

Thanks for the advice in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'd say 108 would proberly be worth it, but it can prove costly as the cards and router all have to be the same company and g+ enabled etc...

As for gigabit, it's not going to make a huge difference to streaming video over 100Mbit unless there's a couple of PCs streaming from the one PC at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

ciaranfo wrote:
    I'd say 108 would proberly be worth it, but it can prove costly as the cards and router all have to be the same company and g+ enabled etc...

As for gigabit, it's not going to make a huge difference to streaming video over 100Mbit unless there's a couple of PCs streaming from the one PC at the same time.
    Thanks for the info, stupid question - but what is g+??

Also would gigabit make much difference to lan gaming??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

On a switched network, sod-all.
    Latency would depend on the length of cable, and the quality of equipment and drivers.

And if you use multicast, video-streaming would work fine over a 10Mbit switched network.

If you're going Gigabit, read up on it, make sure you get kit that supports Jumbo Frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Kul thanks

Advertisement