Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Abuse of offer? (free texts cut of)

Options
  • 10-01-2005 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else been cut off the Unlimited 085 to 085 free texts for abuse of offer?

Mate was i havent yet but would like to know legal point of it , we on it over 18 months not a snifter about any sort of limit or abuse just cut off today and told it was for abuse of offer.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Surely they cant do that.In the past 2 months i have sents about 10000 messages,Have message counter on my phone.I recently got sent 130 euro credit because people were getting charged for 5 days Because the "twister" went down,And got back 130 euro.Free Texts are free texts.they wouldnt be free texts if they had a limit

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

KdjaC wrote:
    Anyone else been cut off the Unlimited 085 to 085 free texts for abuse of offer?

Mate was i havent yet but would like to know legal point of it , we on it over 18 months not a snifter about any sort of limit or abuse just cut off today and told it was for abuse of offer.

kdjac
    I would send a couple of thousand a month and nothings been said to me, and AFAIK it doesnt say anything bout abuse of offer, in their T & C.
    I say go to Comreg.

i agree.Dont do nothing get onto comreg.And ring meteor.And ask where it says in there terms and cond.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Read what it says in the terms and conditions before going to ComReg. If there is a "fair usage" term then the operator can decide what is fair use. After all you could be bulk texting on a commercial basis and this would clearly be a an abuse of the offer.

This "fair use" was very common in the early days of broadband where there was no cap. If you went a little over the top with your downloads the SP could cut you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

I think I still have the free texts to other Meteor, if I send them with my phone.

The web service (mymeteor) has changed and can only send to 08... i.e. to Irish mobiles. I used to be able to send 30 a month anywhere (at least to Ireland, Italy and Spain). Can they change that too??

• Advertisement

of course they can! They can change anything they like. The free web text is not a part of the contract. They can modify pricing and offers as they see fit. It is best practice though to inform the customer as they do.

BrianD wrote:
    ... It is best practice though to inform the customer as they do.

Which they haven't, at least to me. Of course, it would have been nice.

Thanks for the info BrianD

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac
    how many texts was he sending??

I send bout 2 or 3 hundred a day and not a word from them bout it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

smokey2 wrote:

200 or 300 a day!?!? How do u possibly send this many!? And to who!? Wow, i thought i sent alot of texts, but on 2nd thoughts I send hardly any compared to you. Wow, im in shock! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

the offer was clearly stated as FREE TEXTS FOR LIFE no limits or terms/conditions, only that it's to any other Meteor customer

I don't see how they could legally change that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

smokey2 wrote:

300 a day? assuming your asleep for 8 hrs, thats almost 19 texts and hour, 1 every 3 minutes. what kind of a job do you have?!

i sent about 300+ a day.Free for life is free for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

moshpit77 wrote:
    the offer was clearly stated as FREE TEXTS FOR LIFE no limits or terms/conditions
    No, it always came with a little asterix saying terms and conditions applied.

And if they wanted to get out of it they could just limit the number of texts that you can send. They'd still be free, just not unlimited. No company runs a special offer they can't get out of if they need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The problem was 370 over 4 days , she had €37 credit and it took it when she rang to get it back she was told she had abused the offer and each time she abused the offer it would take credit. And she wouold have to ring every time.

I smell bull**** with this as there is nowt in T and C about fair usage.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

This brings back memories of Esatclear Surf No-Limits back in the day :)
    Most of you probably remember it anyway but for those of you who don't, more than 1000 users received letters telling them they had not been "in keeping with the spirit of the <supposedly unlimited off peak internet> service."
    Those that complained were allowed a certain amount of hours per month for the original price as I recall, and those that didnt, lost their contract.
    Esatclear shortly afterwards changed their T's&C's.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

KdjaC wrote:
    The problem was 370 over 4 days , she had €37 credit and it took it when she rang to get it back she was told she had abused the offer and each time she abused the offer it would take credit. And she wouold have to ring every time.

I smell bull**** with this as there is nowt in T and C about fair usage.

kdjac
    Email meteor, i always find them much more helpful, it could simply something like her not being informed she was due to have topped up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Every month I have to ring them for them taking credit off me for the free texts. They send me the message saying that I haev free texts but then start charging them so I need to ring them each time I top up by 20 to get the free texts back. Its a pain and is a show of ineptness by them.

Perhaps somebody can post the T&C's here or e-mail Meteor for a copy of them.

I just noticed the following when I log on mymeteor, which I think is new:

"Send up to 300 SMS messages per month free of charge to any Irish number, including 30 Group SMS."

Before it was only 30 SMS...

I also red in their "Terms and Conditions of the Meteor Service", point 6:

"In the event that Charges are varied we will post notification of such changes on our web site, in-store and/or notify you via SMS or by post. You may therefore not receive notification if we have no contact details for you."

Well, they have my details and never heard from them. Of course, changing them in their website or in-store is like not giving any notification at all, unless you check it everyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

smemon wrote:
    300 a day? assuming your asleep for 8 hrs, thats almost 19 texts and hour, 1 every 2 minutes. what kind of a job do you have?!
    one where there's not a lot of working involved!

I run a cnc saw and it's completely automatic!!

that 2-3 hundred is usually between 7 am and 4 pm!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Cond0r wrote:
    This brings back memories of Esatclear Surf No-Limits back in the day :)
    Most of you probably remember it anyway but for those of you who don't, more than 1000 users received letters telling them they had not been "in keeping with the spirit of the <supposedly unlimited off peak internet> service."
    Those that complained were allowed a certain amount of hours per month for the original price as I recall, and those that didnt, lost their contract.
    Esatclear shortly afterwards changed their T's&C's.

yeah tell me about it, didnt get a letter but mysteriously couldnt connect for about 2 months. after numerous 'its eircom's fault, no it's esat's fault' phonecalls i got fed up and switched to some other offer.

no probs at all with the line, it was just them sly dogs in esat trying to kick me off their no limits list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

Christ! The amount some you people send! I send about 200 a day...

I'm not on meteor tho, i'm a post paid customer on O2 so when my bill arrives through my letter box most of Dublin feel it hit ground! Then its normally followed by a Green Peace protest for cutting down a small forest to print the damb thing! My bill once arrived in two A4 envelopes... Great craic that Direct Debit was!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Christ! The amount some you people send! I send about 200 a day...

:eek:
    I'm not on meteor tho, i'm a post paid customer on O2 so when my bill arrives through my letter box most of Dublin feel it hit ground! Then its normally followed by a Green Peace protest for cutting down a small forest to print the damb thing! My bill once arrived in two A4 envelopes... Great craic that Direct Debit was!!! :D

I feel compelled to ask how much your bill is on average each month and how old you are :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Have reinstated the free texts but not the outstanding credit owed.
    Phone girl said it was a mistake that "Simon works 8-4" shouldnt have cancelled the free texts for abuse of offer as there is no limit.

/me waves at meteor staff reading this

kdjac

Well every offer has terms and conditions. would be interested to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

I thought i would have prob for going over board on the free txts for life but with you guys sending 300+ a day im feeling much better about it now. Cant imagine having the time to send that many txts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

Im 18 and the bill ranges in cost but it's always over 250 euro but im tryin to bring it down now since "Daddy" stoped paying half for me. (Guilty Conscience... Whole other (personal) story) My bill's never been over 420 euro.... YET!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

this is for one month right????????

Advertisement