Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the 'Real World'

Options
  • 10-01-2005 4:59pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Recently my family and pending Master's exams have kept me away from the Fitz and although I had gotten in once or twice it doesn't really quench the thirst for more.

However, my absence from the Fitz didn't mean a total lack of poker. I returned to online play - something I had given up in favour of the 'Live' version. The following events take place over the last 7 days (Sun - Sun)

Sun (2/1) - With a balance of approx $130 - €100 exchanged - I headed onto one of the Virtual tables ($1/$2). Two hours later I was sitting on a healthy stack of $450 - time to leave and be happy with the profit - anyway young Adam was crying and I was being pestered to change him - ahh the dizzy heights of the modern poker player.

Mon (3/1) - decided to get onto a ($2/$4) table - bigger antes make bigger winnings - right? Wrong!!! Bigger antes make huge winnings!! I brought $120 of my balance to the table and left 3hrs and two nappy changes later with $750 - happy days. Balance $1080.

Tues (4/1) - Stayed on the $2/$4 tables and brought $120 again to the table - but lost this in about 30mins to some bad play and stupid calls from other players. Decided to persist and duely lost another $120 in about 1.5 hrs. Started to think that I should count my profits and cash out but being the addicted gambler I am, I decided to play another $120. Glad I did. After another 2hrs - now small hours of the morning - I took down a $480 pot - had a $900 stack in front of me and left the table $540 up on the day. Balance $1620.

Wed (5/1) - after some advice from wife, decided to cash out $1360 (€1000) - balance now $260. Back to the $1/$2 table. Hard going this time and was up and down like a yo-yo. Left for the night only $80 up for the day. Balance now $340.

Thurs (6/1) - no playing.

Fri (7/1) - no playing

Sat (8/1) - Wife and child out for day = day's play. Made a decision to push as much as I could today in an effort to win some $$$'s relative to my starting $340. Started on the $2/$4 with $160 and brought it up to $760 when I stopped for some dinner. Balance now $940.

After dinner decided to play $3/$6 and found this by far the easiest level to play at. Brought $200 to the table and got up to approx. $800 when disaster struck and my seemingly unbeatable house of J's got plugded by a poker of 9's. Went to bed very disappointed. Balance $740.

Sun (9/1) - Now playing a $2/$4 table and a $3/$6 table and a very low entry Omaha tournament ($3 entry - 50+ players). The Omaha was there just to keep me playing something so I wouldn't get bored and start playing rag hands.

Well the Gods were shining on Sunday as I went from $200 on the $3/$6 to $1300 and from $120 on the $2/$4 to $830 as well as winning the Omaha tournie ($60ish). Balance now approx $2600.

Not a bad week of play. I did play some small level omaha tables as I was playing the Hold'em games - again just to keep me occupied. I guess I was about $50 down throughout the week on those.

Now if only every week could be the same.

btw - althought my wife is happy with the winnings she now wants me to stop as she feels I may develop a problem and become a hardcore gambler - so my online playing maybe restricted.

Oh - I know the above amounts are fairly trivial and I myself have won larger amounts - so please dont start pointing out my small time achievements - thanks

Hyzepher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Hyzepher wrote:
    Oh - I know the above amounts are fairly trivial and I myself have won larger amounts - so please dont start pointing out my small time achievements - thanks

Thats a great run in any mans language. Well done Chris.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Those amounts arent trivial by any stretch of the imagination. One thing you need to watch when playing 24 or 36 at VC is game selection, some of those games arent worth playing at all, any edge you might have over those players is less than the rake. On the other hand, if cashpot is there then its worth playing :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I now have about 50+ notes on people and go looking fo rthe fish before I decide which table to play. Last night I got playing on a 2/4 table and read this one guy as a bully - knew then and there I would take his money eventually. Duely my pocket 9's developed into house and his all-in $200+ bluff got a swift kick up the arse.

Hyzepher

Hyzepher wrote:
    I now have about 50+ notes on people and go looking fo rthe fish before I decide which table to play.

Is that why you keep popping up at my table?

nah - u seem to play Omaha more these days - well at least when I am on - cant seem to take the diver into the higher level limits and the low limits are just to much of a job to extract profit.

Hyzepher

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Jaysis, hardly small potatoes Chris! You have an unnerving knack of doing well in cash games, online or off! I've gone back to playing online but on Pokerstars rather then Party Poker.

PP was just wrecking my head altogether , not to mention also wrecking my game and my nerves. The swings are just too nasty.

Alternatively I've found some excellent play and fun games on Pokerstars though the talent level is far higher, at least its uniform and you dont find yourself shouting "c'mon, I know yer going to fold you fookin goon" at the player pondering your crazy all in bluff only to find out he's actually a very good player who has slow played a house on your head.

I find the 20-30 dollar sit and goes very easy to make money at but I've yet to start multitabling them so currently it seems like hard work for meagre returns.

Also, I find it booooring. At least at the table theres some fun and banter. Rarely is there any online. On the plus side, it seems like steady cash.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Dev,

Does Poker Stars pay cashback to the Credit Card, or do you have to wait for cheque in the post?

Culchie

Culchie wrote:
    Dev,

Does Poker Stars pay cashback to the Credit Card, or do you have to wait for cheque in the post?

Culchie

Stay away from pokerstars unless you dont like money.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Stay away from pokerstars unless you dont like money.
    Funny, I have so far found it a lot easier and less head wrecking to profit on Pokerstars then on Party Poker. Culchie, I dont actually know but I believe it is by cheque.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I like pokerstars aswell, heads up tournaments and some of the multis are great value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Thanks Hector,

Point duly noted.

I'm finding Ladbrokes the easiest nut to crack for me, so will stick to it. The cards seem to be genuine in that not everyone has AA KK QQ AK like betfair and party ... slight exaggeration I know, ... but only slight.

Party Poker is unbelievable regarding runner runner cards, might as well just play the roulette wheel half the time. (I hear a lecture coming on, but really the cards are just unreal)

VC Poker .... swish swish !!

Can't wait for Paddy Power to get their site up and running .... that will be good.

I always found Ladbrokes to be very high quality - they dont allow Americans. Generally Ladbrokes is harder to make serious profit

Hyzepher

Advertisement