Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People And Names(rant)

• 10-01-2005 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭

don't ye just hate that people all have different names? twould be so much handier if everyone just had the same name, ye'd never be wrong, sure ye could throw on a number at the end like ian11234 but in casual conversation u could then refer to everyone as ian. O so handy......(would avoid situations of using the wrong name n stuff, as i just did, sry david ;) )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

no, thats bad.. if someone said.. I'm gonna find where Ian112312 Lives and kill him, but who he was really looking for was Ian11312, then there'd be a problem..

hahaha... unusal topic tho.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

don't ye just hate that people all have different names?

I know, it's so unreasonable, oh my GAWD..

I feel your pain though, I'm atrocious with names too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

My names very different, suppose you'd hate that, I'm so sorry guys, focking shame...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

my name is actually frank. muhahhahah. fooled yas

You could just call everyone Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I'm notoriously bad with names. First day of term today and I forgot the name of a load of people in my course (there's only like 15 of them). There's one chap I kept calling George even though his name is really brian. They're

Somebody informed me of this of recent. Not so bad 'cept they did it infront of everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

When I first arrived in college, was asked "any relation?" <someone more famous than me who went there> Also worked in a company where used to get emails meant for the guy that shared my name - him likewise - having a unique name would be a blessing tbh!

Its happened plenty of times that I've been introducing one friend to another and I forget one of the names. The worst is when you're talking to someone for ages who you knew in school, and you can't think what their name is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

SkyLynx wrote:
    sure ye could throw on a number at the end like ian11234

That's such a stupid idea :p

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

Myth wrote:
    The worst is when you're talking to someone for ages who you knew in school, and you can't think what their name is.
    thats happened to me before...i managed to get through the conversation without mentioning their name though thank god. if i was with someone else though and had to introduce them- :eek: actually come to think of it cant remember their name again....

yup im also bad with names...i dont necessarily forget them but mix them up with someone elses (i.e call person A person B's name and vice versa)- tad annoying at times!

and ian, wouldnt the world be really boring if everyone had the same name?! i for one like to be different :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

yeah, I have a nightmare putting names to faces :confused: ... I usually just say "mate" if it's a bloke, and "darlin" or "gorgeous" if it's a girl... I'm from South London so nobody bats an eyelid... ;)

Havin' a unique name's ok, except it means that everyone remembers your name, while u can't remember their's.. Dammit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

and ian, wouldnt the world be really boring if everyone had the same name?! i for one like to be different :)
    well you could have ian<unique number here> so u get to be unique n i stilll don't need to do any think'n ;)
    thats happened to me before...i managed to get through the conversation without mentioning their name though thank god. if i was with someone else though and had to introduce them- actually come to think of it cant remember their name again....
    Only once? lucky u, i end up doing it all the time ;)
    no, thats bad.. if someone said.. I'm gonna find where Ian112312 Lives and kill him, but who he was really looking for was Ian11312, then there'd be a problem..
    though you could just say the same about normal names tho, there is alot of people called 'dave'...
    My names very different, suppose you'd hate that, I'm so sorry guys, focking shame...
    Just makes em easier to remember...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

i for one like to be different :)
    Yeah! Like where's the indiviuality if were all called the same thing. How fcuking stupid :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Hey Ian is there a graphical kind of PuTTY way ala Remote Desktop or VNC to log onto the maths servers from home? I'd like to be able to use the likes of xdvi etc.

Hey Ian is there a graphical kind of PuTTY way ala Remote Desktop or VNC to log onto the maths servers from home? I'd like to be able to use the likes of xdvi etc.
    that entire post just went right over my head :D :rolleyes: so many things ive never heard of before!!

what you want is a local X11 server, hummingbird/winaXe provide this, so you can login from putty and then run the apps and they will appear locally.
    Sophie wrote:
    that entire post just went right over my head so many things ive never heard of before!!
    ah thats ok, aslong as ur good at the housework/cooking

and what u doing in col so late? its like half 7 n ur a 2nd yr...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Hehe, you're so gonna get your ass kicked for that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

SkyLynx wrote:
    Fly the flag good Skylynx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

continuing along the line that ian is the guru of all things tech......how do you connect to msn messenger from within college. webmessenger.msn.com no longer works. windows messenger doesnt launch on anything other than macs. i'd use psi with netsoc jabber a/c but i cant install it or it's equivalent on college pcs. i'm certain there's a text based command line type thing i can use to connect to msn thru netsoc or maths but i cant find it. i'd rather not use the thing u told precarious because it probably won't install on a college pc. any ideas ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

webmessenger's gone?

ahh for feck sake

looks like its back to spying on the nurses, how else am i ment to keep myself entertained?

SkyLynx wrote:
    Pet wrote:
    Hehe, you're so gonna get your ass kicked for that.
    damn right he's gonna get his ass kicked :mad: *insert rant* (its too early to be thinking of a comeback :rolleyes: )
    oh and fyi i hate housework, and ive got to be one of the worlds worse cooks, and im pretty damn proud of it!!

Ian wrote:
    and what u doing in col so late? its like half 7 n ur a 2nd yr...
    course i wasnt at college at 7 at night, thats just wrong..i was elsewhere (i.e. at home!) ... oh and in case you start talking bout what am i doing in college so early, i have a lecture at 9 and had to do some stuff on the comps first- i have like 4 9am starts this term, its inhumane :(

9am lectures? nasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

9am lectures? nasty

Jaysus, I haven't had one of those in a year or two.

i have only ever had one, where my lecturer was away and we were in with the Deaf class, lingustics lectures in ISL are VERY VERY hard to understand,
    hell lingustics lectures in english are hard enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

You people are all up too early..

I'm supposed to be in my lab now. Instead I'm in Lucan. Think I better go in soon..

ApeXaviour wrote:
    You people are all up too early..

I'm supposed to be in my lab now. Instead I'm in Lucan. Think I better go in soon..

Currently sitting in the computer labs in Aras an Phiarsaigh, willing myself to finish off a political psychology essay. Its not a good day, but it will be after 12 when I hand the shagging thing up.
    At least its friday :D

Evilution wrote:
    Currently sitting in the computer labs in Aras an Phiarsaigh, willing myself to finish off a political psychology essay. Its not a good day, but it will be after 12 when I hand the shagging thing up.
    At least its friday :D

Fukkin' brainstorn lads, I'm on the muthafukka now :)
    Should have this done by 11.

continuing along the line that ian is the guru of all things tech......how do you connect to msn messenger from within college. webmessenger.msn.com no longer works. windows messenger doesnt launch on anything other than macs. i'd use psi with netsoc jabber a/c but i cant install it or it's equivalent on college pcs. i'm certain there's a text based command line type thing i can use to connect to msn thru netsoc or maths but i cant find it. i'd rather not use the thing u told precarious because it probably won't install on a college pc. any ideas ?
    hrmm well if you drag your ass up to the maths computers u can run amsn up there for it.
    as for a console version, i don't need one myself but u could setup
    http://www.geocities.com/montajoe/gtmess/
    on your maths account and run it from a ssh session.

• Advertisement

damn right he's gonna get his ass kicked :mad: *insert rant* (its too early to be thinking of a comeback :rolleyes: )
    Sure sure, you love it really though
    oh and fyi i hate housework, and ive got to be one of the worlds worse cooks, and im pretty damn proud of it!!
    I never said u hadda like housework, just be good at it ;) , and well plenty of time to be improving ur cooking yet...........
    course i wasnt at college at 7 at night, thats just wrong..i was elsewhere (i.e. at home!) ...
    well thats good to here, tho i myself was in college till about half 10 or 11....the joy's of 3rd year....
    oh and in case you start talking bout what am i doing in college so early, i have a lecture at 9 and had to do some stuff on the comps first- i have like 4 9am starts this term, its inhumane :(
    I just fell outa bed so i really wasn't planning on asking.....

Advertisement