Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why does everyone drive with their fog lamps on?!

Options
  • 10-01-2005 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭

This is really starting to bother me - over the past few months I've noticed every 4th car in Dublin is now driving with their fog lamps on aswell as their main lights and it can sometimes be quite blinding.

What's the point of this - isn't it technically illegal? And it seems to be everyone not just 'boy racers' - middle aged women are doing it

WHY?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

OMG finally someone posted this up lol.
    I work in the motortrade and this bugs the **** outta me. The big misconception about this is ppl think they're ''SPOTLIGHTS''.......Well thier not!!!!!!!

Fog lights = use them in a fog/heavy mist end of story. And yes they can blind the **** outta you when driving! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Afaik fogs and spots are different depending on where they are mounted on the bumper- certain distance between them etc etc. But anyway, yes it is annoying ppl driving with these kights on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Personally I would often drive with my fog lights on - especially in poor conditions. I know this infuriates some people but I really dont see the problem as std fog lamps on other cars never bother me...

....I honestly reckon people would be better served bitchin about all those cuntz who's lights are misaligned and constantly pointed skywards and really COULD dazzle an oncoming vehicle. These are the dangers - not someone with his spots pointed at the ground.

(By the way, I'm no boy racer. I drive, as my gf puts it, a nice family car with no mods.)

Boggle wrote:
    Personally I would often drive with my fog lights on - especially in poor conditions. I know this infuriates some people but I really dont see the problem as std fog lamps on other cars never bother me...

....I honestly reckon people would be better served bitchin about all those cuntz who's lights are misaligned and constantly pointed skywards and really COULD dazzle an oncoming vehicle. These are the dangers - not someone with his spots pointed at the ground.

(By the way, I'm no boy racer. I drive, as my gf puts it, a nice family car with no mods.)

good point boggle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I find the ones on Micra's are pretty bad. A friend of mine has them on his Alfa 156 and they turn off when you switch the engine off which is handy if you use them and forget to turn them off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Aren't fog lights designed to illuminate the road directly in front of you? i.e they point down to the road so shouldn't really dazzle people, (except in rainy conditions of course when they should be turned off)

Personally I have no problem with people using their fog lights, anything which makes a car more visible is a good thing IMO.

(I know I'm probably gonna get slated for my opinion but it is as such, my opinion, feel free to rip it to shreds) :D

FX Meister wrote:
    I find the ones on Micra's are pretty bad. A friend of mine has them on his Alfa 156 and they turn off when you switch the engine off which is handy if you use them and forget to turn them off.
    The ones on the Micra are horrible cause they are so close together....like nice wide low set ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Boggle wrote:

I agree with Boggle,
    I don't have a problem with people driving around with there fog lights on. Its the people who drive around with out fully work lights that annoy me. At least you'll see them coming with there fog lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Yes, but this is Ireland, and usually lights point everywhere but the right place... :rolleyes:

Kersh wrote:
    Yes, but this is Ireland, and usually lights point everywhere but the right place... :rolleyes:
    Well with an attitude like that we would never use our lights at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

This topic comes up every few months,
    Id agree fully with boggle
    ive no problem with front fogs whatsoever, if they are properly aligned they will not blind you unless your driving a go-kart or something.

Rear Fogs are a totally different issue :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ubu wrote:
    This topic comes up every few months

Every few weeks more like :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

if it's in a well lit area then they won't really bother you..

However! when driving in the direction of Meath from blanch last night, the road becomes PITCH BLACK, there is very very little illumination!! and this gob****e is driving with his fogs on and i literally couldn't see for a few seconds.. i mean what are these people thinking.. i have fogs on my car, i've switched them on TWICE, once was to see if they worked when in my drive.. and the other when.. OMG!! WHEN IT WAS FOGGY!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Front 1s are fine, as long as its not wet, they should just stick spots instead of them though. Back 1s are brighter than the break lights, that annoys the sh1t out of me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Yeah it seems to be the small cars that have the most annoying fogs i.e. punto,micra, clio etc..

But the most frequent thing I've noticed is the number of twits going around with only 1 headlight working, must be nearly every third car I see on the road! There's no excuse tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

.........maybe its my imagination but the last 3 cars that I have owned (00 Accord/03 CRV/04 A4) all seem to have poor illumination directly in front of the car when driving on dips,(particularly noticeable on unlit roads)as if they were designed to use the fogs as fill-in.All have those funny shaped reflectors

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Dont you just hate retards that whinge about ppl using their foglights. Is it me or have they little to fookin whine about. Sad pathetic losers.

I have my fogs wired independent to the parkers/dims or headlights, so I can switch them on/off as when i please. My dipps are ****, and i nearly always put the fogs on, they give loads extra light width, if there near the corners of the bumper, like mine are, making it easier to see dark clothed pedestrians. especially these dark mornings and evenings. I find them very useful on the country roads i travel daily. I tend to switch them off coming into well lit up areas, or towns.

I never get blinded by others, and rarely find them a problem. Nearly all new cars have them as standard, and these standard ones are harmless. Anyone saying there getting blinded by `02/03/04 cars with standard fogs is a lying whinger.

PS: To all whingy fookers,,, so what if someone drives with them on the whole time. What are you going to do about it??? Aye, keep whinging! We care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Its not the front fogs that are the problem, its the rear ones. I hate being behind dumb ****s with their rear fog lights on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

This is really starting to bother me - over the past few months I've noticed every 4th car in Dublin is now driving with their fog lamps on
    isn't it technically illegal?
    WHY?!

Please get a life. If thats really starting to bother you, i suggest you see a councellor soon.

rander00 wrote:
    Dont you just hate retards that whinge about ppl using their foglights. Is it me or have they little to fookin whine about. Sad pathetic losers.

I have my fogs wired independent to the parkers/dims or headlights, so I can switch them on/off as when i please. My dipps are ****, and i nearly always put the fogs on, they give loads extra light width, if there near the corners of the bumper, like mine are, making it easier to see dark clothed pedestrians. especially these dark mornings and evenings. I find them very useful on the country roads i travel daily. I tend to switch them off coming into well lit up areas, or towns.

I never get blinded by others, and rarely find them a problem. Nearly all new cars have them as standard, and these standard ones are harmless. Anyone saying there getting blinded by `02/03/04 cars with standard fogs is a lying whinger.

PS: To all whingy fookers,,, so what if someone drives with them on the whole time. What are you going to do about it??? Aye, keep whinging! We care.

What a noob reply, can you not just be constructive, ''lyin whinger'' ur a typical example of what ppl here are talking about, Yes it is fact, Certain Fog lights are blinding to on comers, and dont try tell me any different, i work in the god dam trade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

first of all, fog lights should only be used in very low visibility or fog.
    Secondly, esp. in the wet they DO blind people, me included
    Thirdly, they were not MEANT to be used as additional light, same goes for park lights. You should not drive with parking lights in the first place, secondly park lights are meant to not neadlessly illuminated the road in front and hence maybe blind nearby pedestrians - when stationary, they are not for driving. So use your headlights. Have them properly alligned, you should see plenty of road in front of you (40m max I think it is), the left light should point only a bit over the median, while your right one should illuminate plenty of the road on the right side and can (usually does) have a longer reach - so you can see the curb etc. If that is not so - adjust your lights.

Today comming to work I swear I was thinking about finding a site selling bumper stickers with something like 'turn your fog lights off, they are not lights for normal use'.
    Worst drivers are the ones who drive with park lights and fog lights - die!

So the fact that YOU feel that fog lights are no issue and can be used - they should not be and thank you for not using them.

/me prays there will be a day where I can legally mount 2 miniguns on the hood of my car and shoot every ignorant ****er who thinks fog lights are ok or play extremely loud music or not indicate properly.

and no I'm not overlight sensitive to light or such, actually I'd like DRL's introduced, at least in winter months.

Worst drivers are the ones who drive with park lights and fog lights - die!
    Methinks its not the lights themselves then that bother you as this would not be done in the dark - it would be done during the day for aesthetics not function. I reckon its you has the problem in this case.
    Aren't fog lights designed to illuminate the road directly in front of you? i.e they point down to the road so shouldn't really dazzle people, (except in rainy conditions of course when they should be turned off)
    My lights are just like this - turn off my dips and I cant see 10 feet. What they do provide is better lighting close to the car and when theres poor road markings on a ****e secondary road it makes driving more comfortable.
    me prays there will be a day where I can legally mount 2 miniguns on the hood of my car and shoot every ignorant ****er who thinks fog lights are ok or play extremely loud music or not indicate properly.
    Whats ignorant are those cuntz with poorly aligned headlights. Moan about them first as they are a real danger - they are fcukin blindin... Proper fogs aren't. Of course there's no guarantee that everyone has them aligned right but I've rarely come across a car that blinded me just cos of their spots - have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

Silent,
    Now there's a Bull5hit reply if I ever saw one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

...but...but...I like driving with my front fogs on...

because they're BIG F***-OFF SUBARU SPAGHETTI-PLATE -SIZED ONES :D:p

Dan_B wrote:
    Silent,
    Tell you what Danny boy - tell me what's ****ty about the reply and I'll own up - otherwise dont waste my fcuking reply with crap like that. If you've somthing to add to the discussion please do so - otherwise **** ***.

Boggle,
    If you take a minute to ready my reply you'd see it was addressed to silent.
    You might want to blink every now and again. ;)

Boggle wrote:
    Methinks its not the lights themselves then that bother you as this would not be done in the dark - it would be done during the day for aesthetics not function. I reckon its you has the problem in this case.
    actually saw it several times during late evening as well - either behind me or opposite direction - in both cases I saw them but allways wonder what those drivers can see - fogs only iluminate upto 5-7m in front the car anyway.
    My lights are just like this - turn off my dips and I cant see 10 feet. What they do provide is better lighting close to the car and when theres poor road markings on a ****e secondary road it makes driving more comfortable.
    I do understand the need to use every possible light on irish roads, however if your normal lights light only 10 feet in front of the car something is wrong, at least in my experience I have not come across a car that would have such poor lights
    Whats ignorant are those cuntz with poorly aligned headlights. Moan about them first as they are a real danger - they are fcukin blindin... Proper fogs aren't. Of course there's no guarantee that everyone has them aligned right but I've rarely come across a car that blinded me just cos of their spots - have you?
    have been partially blinded three times today - quite early morning and some wet patches - so yes :) Most fogs are fine but still, proper lights should not require the use of fogs. Agree however about the idiots with poorly aligned headlights, or the ones who have theirs set at the highest setting even though the car is not loaded and carries the driver only. Why does darwins theory of evolution not apply to poor drivers :(

Dan_B wrote:
    Silent,
    noted, but it still is my opinion that fogs are for fog and normal light is suffiecient 95% of the time
    but stating that you disagree without stating a reason is ... bull5hit :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Okay, deep breath people and count to ten.

One week vacations to Banville (Population: You) are freely available if the abuse continues.
    :)

• Advertisement

Well when your opininon involves mounting miniguns on bonnetts then I'm afraid that is bull5hit.

If I decide to drive with my front fogs on, the likes of you will just have to get over it, until the cops tell me otherwise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement