Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why does everyone drive with their fog lamps on?!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Dan_B wrote:
    Boggle,
    If you take a minute to ready my reply you'd see it was addressed to silent.
    You might want to blink every now and again.
    Currently apologetically cleaning my glasses..... oops - sorry!
    I do understand the need to use every possible light on irish roads, however if your normal lights light only 10 feet in front of the car something is wrong, at least in my experience I have not come across a car that would have such poor lights
    And what I should have said is that when I turn off my dips and use foglights only, I can only see a few feet in front of me.
    Most fogs are fine but still, proper lights should not require the use of fogs.
    But when there's only a faded trace of a white line left and every second car comin against you has headlights pointed skywards then you need all the illumionation you can get...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

Dan_B wrote:
    Well when your opininon involves mounting miniguns on bonnetts then I'm afraid that is bull5hit.
    that was my rant and was meant sarcastic, did not want to offend anyone.
    If I decide to drive with my front fogs on, the likes of you will just have to get over it, until the cops tell me otherwise.
    which sadly wont happen in this backwards country ever, the coppers don't do jack **** except the occasional, unnecessary and stupid speed checks on motorways/N roads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Always a good topic for an arguement this one :)

I drive with my fog lights on, i also find the dips on a '01 focus very bad for the country roads i drive.

Again the point about lights not alligned properly is more of a problem IMO and those ass holes with the rear fog lights on, not to mention the people driving with only 1 light on the front of their car (this seems to be a popular trend of late) :mad:

Anyway from a legal point of view, i was always told their ok in the south, never knew about the distance apart thing or that tho :confused:

as for the north though their a big no-no! As manys a person has found out :rolleyes:

Farlz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Byrner

Its an uwritten law I tink, you will see most if not all police cars driving with them on. Its supposed to cut down on accidents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

To all those people who find that their dipped headlights are not good enough, have you ever tried cleaning them? This time of year, there is an auful lot of sh1t thrown up off the roads and can seriously reduce visibility. Most petrol stations have a sponge and water that can be used to clean the lights every time you fill up, very little additional effort, but a massive return in visibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

alias no.9 wrote:
    To all those people who find that their dipped headlights are not good enough, have you ever tried cleaning them? This time of year, there is an auful lot of sh1t thrown up off the roads and can seriously reduce visibility. Most petrol stations have a sponge and water that can be used to clean the lights every time you fill up, very little additional effort, but a massive return in visibility.

I tend to clean my lights most days now, especially after long journeys; so that can't be the problem :)

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Farls wrote:
    I tend to clean my lights most days now, especially after long journeys; so that can't be the problem :)

Farlz
    If thats the case, and the dipped headlights are focused correctly, maybe specsavers should be the next port of call. As for the country roads, try the main beams where appropriate, they work wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I see no problem whatsoever in using FRONT fogs, as long as they're not blinding. I use mine. I've had the opportunity to see my car coming towards me, and they are not blinding, they just greatly increase my car's visibility on the road. Which surely is the point of them ... increase visibility and therefore safety.

The way I look at it, they increase safety. But like everything else in Ireland (brake lights, head lights, indicators), people don't care if they work properly, or at all.

I also agree there are some fogs out there that do nothing but dazzle oncoming drivers — they are the problematic ones, along with the misaligned main lights, or the dazzling Punto/407 etc brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Buckfast wrote:
    The way I look at it, they increase safety. But like everything else in Ireland (brake lights, head lights, indicators), people don't care if they work properly, or at all.

I also agree there are some fogs out there that do nothing but dazzle oncoming drivers — they are the problematic ones, along with the misaligned main lights, or the dazzling Punto/407 etc brigade.

I'd disagree with the premise of "the more lights the better" in this regard. Anyway, how do you know that your foglights don't fall into the "problematic" category you describe in the last paragraph?

I've had foglights on my cars for the last 15 years or so, and I think I've actually used them in anger (i.e. in thick fog) maybe 4 or 5 times in that period.

If your dipped beams are that bad, consider a) cleaning them regularly b) getting them properly aligned and c) fitting some decent bulbs (Philips VisionPlus, or Osram Silver Star). If all else fails, get your eyes tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Okay enough. It is possible to hold a view different to yours and it not be a reason for abuse. By the way this goes for a few of you on this thread.

Front fogs do not by design cause glare as they are designed to allow others to see you not to cast a beam of light to see with. I think many ppl have incorrectly adjusted bumper-set "driving lights" and of course we all know the fixed headligts that are way off beam.

Rear fogs are another matter - they are pure evil.

Thread closed and lets talk about something less contentious like "if your car needs testing very two years what about drivers?" ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement