Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6600: Can I play downloaded RealPlayer files eg. Family Guy on Nokia 6600?

• 10-01-2005 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I think the title sums it up. I'd like to be able to watch downloaded South Park and Family Guy on the bus.
    I know the screen is small and if it is possible is it just not worth it?
    Reason being, meteor are selling 6600's for €99 with contract.

I'd obviously have to get an MMC card, is it true that 128mb is the max for the 6600?

Twould be much appreciated if someone could shed light on my query.

Mick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭dookie

no,u can get bigger than 128mb but if u cant then no worries...
    http://www.download.com/DVD-to-Mobile-Nokia-Edition-/3000-2641_4-10334402.html?tag=lst-0-3
    is a program that can get full lenght movies(south park anyone?)on to ur mmc card.
    good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭elmicko

I'm new to this whole MMC card thing, so be gentle. if I had south park files in RealVideo format could I just put them onto the MMC card and if so would I be able to play them on the nokia 6600? Or do I need software (that I have to pay for) such as the one dookie recommended?

Cheers,

Mick

I'd assume that you'd need to convert the file to 3GPP format, which is probably what dookie has suggested.

There might be a Symbian app that can play the files "as is" but I don't know of one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

what format does the program convert to, any chance its mpeg4? im looking for a similar program for the v800, it reads mpeg4.

The standard video format for mobile phones is 3GPP which is a variant of MPEG4.

Usually, the audio is encoded in the AMR-Narrowband codec, while the video is standard MPEG4. Copying a plain MP4 file on the phone will usually play the video, but with no sound.

• Advertisement

so that program can be used for pretty much any phone that supports the format?

Well I don't know about the program you're referring to (I usually use QuickTime for the job), but size limitations do come into play.

My Motorola V550 can play video up to 176x144, but, for example, the Nokia 6230 is limited to 128x96 - it can't play any video larger than this.

i was talking bout the software in dookie's post (dvd to mobile) but unfortunately the demo version will only do 5 mins. Im just lookinf for an alternative to shrink dvds or avi files i have to put on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I found mpegable (its on www.download.com) to be pretty good, lets you do a lot of customization, but still has a preset for Sony Ericsson P900 which brings it down to a nice file size (and screen size)still suitable for the 6600 (or my k700) Have to pay for it tho. But quite good.

Advertisement