Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Sunday Business Post article] Eircom sponsorship challenged

Options
  • 10-01-2005 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Since nobody else spotted it or thought it noteworthy I have to do it myself.
    After ComReg managed to make a direction about "all advertising and promotion of DQ services" which managed to create a loophole for the only substantial DQ service promotion in the country, I had to do something. Coming Friday we'll see whether it was worth the effort.
    (See also blogs http://www.comwreck.com/blog_4_jan22.html
    http://www.comwreck.com/blog_18_April26.html and especially http://www.comwreck.com/blog_29_oct31.html)

P

"Eircom weather forecast sponsorship challenged
    (by Eamon Qinn, Business Editor, page 2 sbp, January 9, 2005)

The legal status of the multimillion euro sponsorship of television and radio programmes is under threat following a complaint over Eircom's sponsorship of television weather forecasts.
    Eircom promotes its 11811 directory enquiry service on weather forecasts on RTE, TV3 and TG4.
    The Broadcasting Complaints Commission (BCC) will rule on Friday on a complaint made by telecoms analyst Peter Weigl that the stations are in breach of the telecom regulator's rules by failing to broadcast tariffs for Eircom's enquiry service on the weather adverts.
    Broadcast insiders said that if the complaint was upheld, the legal basis on which all sponsorship on television and radio is based would be placed in doubt.
    Weigl's campaigns led to a ruling by the regulator, ComReg, last October that the directory enquiry services should inform customers in all their adverts about the full cost of their call-connect services.
    In his complaint against the television stations, Weigl claims that Eircom has used its €600,000 sponsorship of the weather bulletins to circumvent ComReg regulations.
    The complaint poses problems for broadcasters, as they are barred by EU regulations from detailing company tariffs on television and radio programmes that are sponsored by companies.
    Peter Feeney, RTE's head of public affairs policy, said the broadcaster was contesting the complaint on the basis that its sponsorship deal with Eircom did not breach EU, internal RTE or government guidelines."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

WOW!

Be interesting to see how the judiciary handle that one. Is it an ad or is it sponsorship?

If they rule an ad then all forms of paid promotion are affected.

In that case this case will have legs :)

If they rule that its sponsorship and hence not an add per se it'll be v. intersting to see how they define sponsorship versus ads

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1318215&issue_id=11931

Eircom under a cloud in '11811' weather advert storm
    EIRCOM'S high-profile sponsorship of RTE's weather broadcasts could be under threat following a complaint by a telecoms expert.

Telecoms analyst, Peter Weigl, has made the complaint - saying several stations are in breach of the telecom regulator's rules by failing to broadcast tariffs for using the directory enquiries service.

He added that Eircom used its estimated €600,000 sponsorship of weather bulletins to circumvent ComReg regulations on displaying its prices. And the decision could affect the legal status of the whole multi-million business of television and radio programme sponsorship.

The Broadcasting Complaints Commission confirmed it is investigating the complaint made about the well-known sponsorship and it is believed a decision will be made on Friday.

Eircom promotes is 11811 directory enquiries service on weather forecasts on RTE, TV3 and TG4. Former campaigns by Mr Weigl led to a ruling by the regulator, ComReg, last October that directory enquiry services should inform customers in all their advertisements about the full cost of their call-connect services.

"Many people - especially old people - who were using the service are being caught out because they do not know you have to pay more to be connected to the number you are looking for," said Mr Weigl who believed the charges should be outlined during the weather forecast broadcast.

"And when a friendly voice asks them if they would like to be connected, they just agree."

If the complaint is upheld, the broadcaster will have to pull or change the sponsorship but it could have further implications on the way TV and radio programmes are sponsored.

RTE's head of public affairs policy, Peter Feeney, said the national broadcaster will contest the complaint.

Martha Kearns

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Since nobody else spotted it or thought it noteworthy I have to do it myself.
    I did see it and I intended to post it up here, just didn't get a chance.

Excellent work though, Peter, I have to saw my jaw dropped reading it on Sunday, especially when I saw your name.

Can't wait to see the outcome.

Advertisement