Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Course Grant Issues

Options
  • 10-01-2005 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

Mate of mine is in third year with me, at the end of the year we'll have pass degrees and we're all pretty much at a loss as to what to do next.

My mate is thinkin of startin a new course next year in a different college altogether but then I questioned would she still get her grant her interest faded.

Basically is she entitled to her grant for another three/four years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You could stop getting money of the government and get a job, pay taxes and live your life.... What degree did you do? Why would she avoid going to work?

John

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    Basically is she entitled to her grant for another three/four years?
    Basically no.

If she continues into a postgrad she'll get a grant for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Lump wrote:
    You could stop getting money of the government and get a job, pay taxes and live your life.... What degree did you do? Why would she avoid going to work?

I don't actually get money from the govt and worked damn hard to get where I am so please don't take that snotty attitude with me.
    I dont know anything about grants as I dont receive one which is why I was posting here to see if anyone could inform me on the matter so as I wouldnt be giving my mate wrong advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭isolde

Lump: for a college board moderator, that's a pretty unfair and uncalled for attitude imo.

If you ask me, if someone's entitled to a grant, then let them have it. It's not even worth 3grand, and it costs a bomb to go to college.

Nastygirl: as sceptre said, she isn't entitled to the grant for a second undergrad course. I don't know exactly how it works for a postgrad.

Well I was refering to your friend then. Fair enough I may have been a bit harse, but why is she going back to college? What degree does she have?

Any way, you're only entitled to 3 years grant from the Government, unless you go and do a post grad.

Even if you have to repeat a year, you'll stillonly get three years. That's how it works in England, and AFAIK it's the same in Ireland.

John...

Sorry if I crushed your soul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭embraer170

Any way, you're only entitled to 3 years grant from the Government, unless you go and do a post grad.

Or four or five, if you are doing one of those longer courses. ;)

Well you know what I mean....

John

(Why is everone bullying me?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

But do you not get a grant for a course once you're a mature student? Anyone want to confirm that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭embraer170

Mature students do get grants, otherwise it would be age discrimination.

They even used to get a back to education allowance though I can't remember the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

ok this is what I was told..
    the govt grant and fees waiver applies to your first undergraduate course. be it 3/4/5 years in length. I did a 2yr Cert and then transferred to Arts.. and the govt waiver applied as it was seen as progression..

I didn't get the grant for any year.. however fees are almost as crazy as not getting the grant and your friend should take them into consideration too..

so basically.. no she won't get the grant I don't think.. unless she goes back as a mature student.. but even then it could be dodgy as she already has a degree.. best bet tbh would be to go into the careers service! sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Demeant0r wrote:
    But do you not get a grant for a course once you're a mature student? Anyone want to confirm that?
    There isn't a special grant for mature students. They're entitled to apply for a grant on the basis of their own income. You can get a second undergrad grant but only if there's a five year gap between you dropping out of one course and starting another (AFAIK it has to be a dropout as you only get this second grant if you didn't finish the first one)

The BTEA is entirely separate from the grant system - these days you have to be in receipt of benefit for 15 months prior to starting a course to get the BTEA, it used to be 6.

Advertisement