Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can only connect to LAN by removing then replacing cable

Options
  • 10-01-2005 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

OK I've got a weird one for you. I'm on a college LAN, which I can connect to with no problems using my laptop. However when I try to connect using my PC instead I get the standard error message in IE telling me there's no connection. However if I unplug the network cable from the PC's network card and then plug it back in again, I can connect with no trouble. What makes it really weird is that it only works if I unplug the cable from the PC - if I unplug it from the wall socket instead there's no effect. Also, each time I turn the PC on I have to remove and replace the cable all over again. This is confusing the hell out of me and no-one else seems to have the same problem. I realise it's a problem with my PC rather than the network, but this still seemed like the most appropriate forum. Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Hey, your description sounds a bit strange... are you trying to connect to your college LAN with your PC?
    Also, are you using a dial-up connection to the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Assuming you are actually talking about physically connecting your PC to the LAN (i.e bringing it into college) it sounds like a DHCP issue. The ethernet unplug/plug would appear to be causing the IP stack to restart and request a new IP address. You can do this manually from the command line (Start/Run.../cmd in Windows XP) with "ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconfig /renew". Or just set up a batch/cmd file to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Thanks fatherdougal, that seems to work. Any way of making it do it automatically each time Windows loads up? Ta again, Z.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Make it a scheduled task:
    On XP > Accessories > System Tools > Scheduled Tasks

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

stick it in the ../start menu/programs/startup folder

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you don't already have it download wntipcfg.exe from microsofts site
    it's a GUI version of IPCONFIG - same as winipcfg for windows 9x

Hello again, sorry to dig up this old thread but this problem is chipping away at my sanity, and I need to seek help before I am reduced to a feral state, gnawing on cables...

I created a batch file to renew the IP and for a couple of weeks that worked fine - it quickly renewed the IP and conceded that I was in fact connected to the network. Now however it refuses to connect - if I switch the PC on with the network cable plugged in, loading Windows takes a long time and then it acts as if I'm not connected when I try to open Internet Explorer. If I start up the PC with the cable unplugged and then plug it in, the small network icon on the taskbar comes up and stays there for ages before disappearing... and apparently I'm still not connected. If I try running the batch file, it pauses on "IP Release" and usually just stays there. Sometimes it goes on to "IP Renew" and stays on that instead. Either way I can't connect to the network. I find this odd since I've changed absolutely nothing in terms of hardware or software except for installing a basic Audigy soundcard. Previously I had used the onboard (surround) sound, and the network interface is also onboard rather than a separate NIC, but that seems like a bit of a tenuous link to me - surely replacing onboard sound with a dedicated sound card can't mess up onboard networking?

I'd assume there was something wrong with either the cable or the network itself, but there isn't because I'm using the same cable to connect to the same network in order to type this - although I'm using a laptop instead. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the problem? My problem is it seems to be completely random since as far as I'm aware I've done nothing that could have interfered with the network connection.

Any help will be appreciated and... well, helpful :)

get the latest drivers for your nic -
    this might fall under latest chipset drivers since it is on-board...

I didn't think this could get any more weird but here goes. Not only can I not use the NIC, but I can't even update the drivers for it. Seriously. I downloaded (not using the PC obviously) nVidia's latest nForce drivers and tried installing them on the PC. It got to ethernet drivers and promptly froze - egg timer, Not Responding in task manager etc. There's an old saying that comes in handy in these situations, which is "WTF!?"

right - sounds like it might be h/w related, borrow/buy a pci nic (should only be a couple of euro) and install it...

• Advertisement

I installed the drivers in Safe Mode and it went ok, since then the NIC has been working again... odd... I hadn't thought of changing the drivers since the NIC had previously worked with the original drivers, but you were right. Thanks for the help :)

Advertisement