Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter of complaint to Eircom

• 11-01-2005 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Just looking for some feedback on my letter of complaint. I havn't sent it yet but intend to do so this week.
    snip

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

continued..
    snip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Well you obviously have a brutal phone line and they only have to guarantee you phone call quality not data transfer.

I am MAN wrote:
    Well you obviously have a brutal phone line and they only have to guarantee you phone call quality not data transfer.
    Yes, but that does not excuse the treatment I recieved by Eircom customer serivices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Im the last house on my line here in the sticks, and I have no hope in hell of ever getting broadband. So, I reached into my pockets and shelled out for ISDN. I'm on EsatBT Anytime service, and it does help to keep the cost down.

Either way, your screwed. Join the club!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Man those guys are complete stuck up jerks. I know eircom are pain in the ass jerks but this is way beyond the limits of human endurance.I don't know why you haven't sued these inconsiderate Bastrds for inconpetence. Where are you living, You might be able to recieve a Wireless connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

my modem repeatedly redials the Eircom Internet phone number in order to sustain a connection.
    that's not eircom's fault, you have it set to auto redial when connection is dropped

Infini wrote:
    Man those guys are complete stuck up jerks. I know eircom are pain in the ass jerks but this is way beyond the limits of human endurance.I don't know why you haven't sued these inconsiderate Bastrds for inconpetence. Where are you living, You might be able to recieve a Wireless connection.
    I'm in Shankill. There's no wireless available here, not that I know of anyway. Eircom tried to sell me a microwave connection for something ridiculous like 450euro :D

Anyway, I know I won't ever get broadband here but I still feel that I should let them know what a load of carp their service is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Yes they are the scum of the earth, but nothing new in that. Switching to another telco doesn't bother them much either as they still own the line and get all of your line rental charges and a large % of the call charges too.

If you cannot get wireless then there are not many decent options atm.

If you are good friends with one of your neighbours you could share a BB connection with them via wireless possibly?

Are you in a ntl area? Hopefully they will get round to upgrading your area soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

My cpu runs at 49 degrees celius a little higher wen doing some heavy stuff, round the 51 degree mark, is this ti high of a tempature and what should i have it at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

sorry didnt mean to post here, lol, ****ty bout eircom, few tips (i fix alot of PC's and internet related problems daily)

make sure its not your modem for definate and its not virus/spyware/other related reasons and is you phone cable in good nick? What O/S are you running and is it fully updated? Have you an older version of a IE and have you tried hyper terminal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

neon_glows wrote:
    sorry didnt mean to post here, lol, ****ty bout eircom, few tips (i fix alot of PC's and internet related problems daily)

make sure its not your modem for definate and its not virus/spyware/other related reasons and is you phone cable in good nick? What O/S are you running and is it fully updated? Have you an older version of a IE and have you tried hyper terminal?

I think the matter at hand here is they recommended he get a new line, for broadband support, only to not have it work and them basically tellling him to sod off they can't help.

They're absoloutely useless and incompetant at Eircom :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

What is it with these idiots who feel they must jump to eircoms defence just to argue with a fellow boards poster. I hate all people like that.

I think the matter at hand here is they recommended he get a new line, for broadband support, only to not have it work and them basically tellling him to sod off they can't help.

They're absoloutely useless and incompetant at Eircom :\

That's exactly the whole point of the complaint, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

morlan wrote:
    . I was passed on from one department to another, only to be put on hold and then cut off. On three occasions, after waiting for over 20 minutes, I was put through to an answering machine informing me that the faults department was closed, even though I wasn't calling that department and when it was well within office hours. ...

i got this kind of thing continuously
    the out of service number is one of the little tricks they have in 1901 to get rid of a call
    i used to work in a BUSY call centre and every now and then a call would be "dropped" but i would often spend 20-30 mins on hold only to get transferred to this number 4 or 5 times in a row
    i wasted an entire afternoon.

another strange thing they do is keeping you on hold after hours.
    i rang at about twenty to six one day
    after 50 mins on hold at half six, i gave up, had my dinner and called back at about 7
    only to be informed the office closes at 6
    i dont understand why the phone didnt cut me off at 6
    retards...

grrasr
    and i still dont have my broadband /

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

My two cents worth,
    but did eircom state in writing that you should install a second line for broadband?, if so perhaps you may be able to get some justice under the consumer rights act, i.e. they sold you a product to fulfill a function, which it did not,

Other than that, perhaps a wireless access point in one of your neighbours houses just to get over your inital access problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

I'd suggest contacting IrelandOffline (there's a board here for them), posting it to the Horror Stories thread. It's Comreg's fault that "Functional Internet Access" (FIA) isn't defined, and stories such as yours are great for hitting them over the head with. This has been a problem for a long time, now.

Personally I think even if FIA isn't defined in terms of speed, unreliable connection attempts and regular call drops are not "functional". That word, at least,*IS* in the regulations, and I don't think they should have much of a case to worm out of it (regardless of what they say). You should complain to Comreg that Eircom isn't fulfilling it's obligations -- I'm not sure it'll help, but at least Comreg can't say "oh, we never knew this was a problem". I'd also be personally curious what they say in reply.

I had a ridiculous amount of trouble with getting a line connected from Eircom, having applied in March 2004. By September 2004 I had made two formal complaints to Eircom and another through Comreg, but none achieved anything. At this stage Eircom were saying I'd be connected "some time early next year (2005)" because they "couldn't get contractors any sooner".

I contacted IrelandOffline, who put me in touch with RTE, and I was interviewed for Morning Ireland. The next day (and I literally mean the very next day) a fleet of Eircom vans arrived and started pulling cables and installing the exchange. I got my phone in early December. Still a 9 month delay, but better than "some time early 2005" (which I didn't really believe since I'd been given seven other deadlines before that...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Baud

I know it's completely stupid, but ISDN can't run over "carrier" or "pair-gained" lines to the best of my knowledge. It has been suggested in multiple other threads that one way of getting things sorted is to get your line upgraded to ISDN, and then downgrade again.

Another thing to bear in mind, from when Eircom managed to screw up a line installation for me, is they [used to anyway] have a charter, with time limits for line installs etc. If it's still there, the charter enforcement people are usually okay.

That sucks though. And I bet none of the wireless ISPs cover you either?

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭daymobrew

morlan: Well written reply.
    Send to the CEO:
    Dr Phil Nolan,
    eircom Ltd,
    114 St Stephen's Green West,
    Dublin 2.
    It may not resolve the issue but at least it goes right to the top. Otherwise it might get 'lost' or ignored.
    I have written to him multiple times. Got reasonably quick replies, from someone else, most of the time. Similar when I've written to ntl's chief executive.

I was interviewed by RTE (arranged by IrelandOffline) last year about bad (eircom) main cable between my estate and the exchange. Only a small number of residents are off this cable, rest can get DSL. A friend who works for eircom spoke with a senior head in the broadband department about the broadcast but nothing came of it. Even contacting Esat's CEO (my wife's company does lots of internet business with them) couldn't budge eircom.
    I've been very lucky - ntl enabled my area and I now have cable broadband with them (worth checking out for your area too). It's a bonus that not one cent goes to a most undeserving eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

even at the end of the day if you pass it to phil nolan nothing will be done, itll just be another sod off situation

take it from someone who knows

by the way say hi to philomena for me cause thats wholl youll be passed to in the end

shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

Chalk wrote:
    after 50 mins on hold at half six, i gave up, had my dinner and called back at about 7
    Cause battery farm ^H^H^H^H call centre staff generally have to clear the call queues before they go home (without getting paid for it- my sister is passing time in 1 of those operations in Wexford...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Morlan,
    If you want to contact IrelandOffline by email you can contact us on info@irelandOffline.org

We've seen issues like this before and have advised people on such things and may be able to do the same for you.

Damien.

Many thanks for all your replies. I will indeed contact IoffL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Has anyone in a situation like this ever tried sabotage of their phone line? Surely if you make it even worse to an extent were voice calls can barely be made - or just cut the line totally - Eircom would have to replace the line totally? OK, this may not be a serious solution...

Has anyone in a situation like this ever tried sabotage of their phone line? Surely if you make it even worse to an extent were voice calls can barely be made - or just cut the line totally - Eircom would have to replace the line totally? OK, this may not be a serious solution...
    You could easily pull down the whole cable or put a small cut in the wire with a blade. This wouldn't make them upgrade the line from "carrier" or "pair-gained" to a normal line that would support broadband though - they'd just replace the cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Chalk wrote:
    another strange thing they do is keeping you on hold after hours.
    i rang at about twenty to six one day
    retards...

Because the offical open hours for 1901 is
    Mon-Thurs: 8am - 10pm
    Fri: 8am - 8am
    Sat: 9am - 6pm
    Sun: Closed
    Located here

Repairs hours are similar during the week.

I never got an answer during the week after 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

shinzon wrote:
    by the way say hi to philomena for me cause thats wholl youll be passed to in the end

Is that Phil Nolan's PA? I once received a call from her to do with my own Eircom's woes (see my earlier boards.ie postings), but when I rang her back about a second issues a few months after the first, her phone number was being used by another person. Maybe she quit due to stress? (Couldn't blame her).

Once I get my NTL cable broadband installed and Skype/Babble set up, it's bye-bye Eircom for me. Oh, I can't wait to write my farewell letter to Phil Nolan and the ignorant bitch of a billing person I had to deal with.

P.

Further to my ongoing 6 month battle for Eircom to install broadband
    into my house, the Sunday Business Post has published extracts from
    my letter of complaint.. low and behold Eircom have now sorted out the
    problem. They won't listen to their customers but they'll certainly
    listen to the press won't they? Remember this the next time you get
    screwed over by large corporations.

Many thanks to damien.m who was a great help. :)
    "Following receipt of Brady's letter, we (Eircom) called the customer
    on February 1, left our contact details, and a message to the effect
    that we could not guarantee broadband service.

"Due to the continuous upgrading of our telephone lines, this line is
    now suitable for broadband. We will be very happy to discuss the
    matter, and to process the application for broadband if this customer
    wishes to proceed."

http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqid=3463-qqqx=1.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Now go with ESAT!

Great outcome, it just goes to show that there are many people who were in the same situation as you, and it's eircoms fault for not getting off their arses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

My cousin had the same problem of a sub-standard phone line so he called Eircom twice a day and after about two weeks or so, they got so fed up answering his calls, that they replaced his phone line for free. As it was cheaper to replace the line rather than answering all his calls (which wouldn't have stopped untill they fixed the line)

Willie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Your cousin was the exception to the rule unfortunately.

Advertisement