Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭patsat

Got a request from my friends mother to take care of a few foxes on her land as she has turkeys,hens on the farm.

Went out with my .270 as it has only been used on paper so far! Got a cub at 140 yards in the first field,from the shoulder.

Second fox of the night pictured below was ranged at 275 yards and he dropped on the spot!this shot was taken prone. Very happy with the gun and myself after tonights performance!

[IMG][/img]photo0287.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

The latest addition. This fella is a real live wire and going to be a handful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Got this lad today..
    th_Photo0305.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

got this lad yesterday
    th_Photo0304.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Capture-1.jpg?t=1277158207

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

nothing spectacular but its something to look at .all with the shotgun as my f*&^in licence for the rifle hasnt came yet:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Pat McGroin

Had a great evening at today . Shot a few clays with an old friend for an hour and then off to check on the cattle . Said I would bring the new K9 addition with me for the trip and of course the old .22 in case the bunnies were feeling brave. Cattle were doing fine so back into the jeep and down to a freshly cleared hay field for hopefully a cotton-tail or two. Just pulling in the gate I spotted two young grey crows tucking into a bunny I had laid out yesterday funnilly enough at exactly the zero of the .22 , 75 yards, two shots later two greys down. I sat back feeling pretty happy when down swoops Papa grey and just spent a half second too long on the ground investigating . Bang , and then there were three!! :D

The poor dog was in the box rearing to go after hearing the shots so I headed up to the local bog to take him out to see if there was anything round for him to have a sniff at. Swung in the bog road and there in front of me was a fine cock pheasant sunning himself , he spotted me and wandered in to some cover calmly enough. I pulled in and got the pooch out, a GSP just gone a year going great with training but hasn't met much game yet. He tears around like a train for a while and low and behold , points rock solid on the bird and flushes him without too much hassle and drops on the whistle for me . Well , I thought the day could not get any better , wrong .

Bout an hour later I just put the dog back in and drove down the bog to turn when something red caught my eye , sure enough Charlie junior was coming trotting out of a turf bank. I didn't have a shot so drove up a bit , turned and chugged bac down nice and easy to the same spot. Got out , set up on the bonnet and waited. Five mins later out steps a cub and walks in to within fifty yards of me , bang thank you very much . Drops on the spot with a Remington Sub between the eyes. Dont know why but I waited a few mins there at the bonnet looking around all happy with myself when I catch another glimpse of red , ah Im dreaming here !! No . I sit tight and let a couple of squeaks with the back of the hand and out comes Reynard number two bounding twoard me, he stopped at about forty yards and I let him have some of what his buddy got. Must have misjudged the shot cos he did a couple of circles on the spot and ended up at the bottom of the drain beside him .
    Attatched Is Foxy number one the other lad is in the drain and I wasn't gettin all sh1te for anyone!
    Now Lads , I'm no great hunter but It's evenings like this that make this crack worthwhile! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Bunny just asking for it ;)

i'm still playing with camera settings.

Please bear with me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

we're having good sucess at eliminating magpies near by,6 in the last 3 or 4 days, we filled our cage yesterday, it was the first time in a good while as usually when you catch 2 or 3 the other doors shut from them shaking the cage, we just throw the dead ones into a ditch near by and they are disappearing fairly quick so i think its time to hide near by with the hornet and find out whats taking them:D
    27062010068.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Pat McGroin

Check out my Recession Busting Larsen Trap!

Bit like myself , rough looking but pretty effective ;)

Even the dog is not Impressed , she wouldn't look at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

tn_144.jpg"
    Just a couple of photo's of the pond during the off season!
    This is the second mallard to nest in the bucket this year!

tn_127.jpg"

This is it on the little island!

tn_142.jpg"

Unfortunitly this one only has four duckling left out of ten that hatched! Most were lost within the first week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Nice Eddie. Is that pond natural or man made??

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Nice Eddie. Is that pond natural or man made??

Man made! Just dug out with a digger!
    Left two little islands in the middle, and dug through a little drain, so it filled itself, also keeps the water fresh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Eddie B wrote: »
    Man made! Just dug out with a digger!
    Left two little islands in the middle, and dug through a little drain, so it filled itself, also keeps the water fresh!

Was thinkin about the drain bit. All i have on the land is a spring so no good. How deep you go. Nice setup. Do they fly on to other rivers for yee to shoot come season??

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Was thinkin about the drain bit. All i have on the land is a spring so no good. How deep you go. Nice setup. Do they fly on to other rivers for yee to shoot come season??

Well at the moment its only about four foot at the deepest in spots, but come winter its about six foot deep!

For the first two years we put the free mallard on it (the ones given out to all the gun clubs each year), fed them till they were full grown and then stoped feeding so's they disperce!
    Got some good returns on them during the season!

Now, last year one of the lads decided to buy a couple of geese!
    The idea was to let them breed and hatch the eggs in an incubater, which all sounded great till i was informed by one of the lads here that geese don't breed till their in their third year!

So now were feeding the geese all year round and of course the mallard won't venture very far when there's food about!

Now if i had my way, id get rid of the geese and stick to the mallard, but the lad that bought the geese owns the land that the pond is on, so its not worth arguing over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

heres a pic of the grey crow we caught, the trap is really on over drive lately between jackdaws magpies and greycrows
    29062010069.jpg

The only thing I regret was not bringing hearing protection, 20" then bang = Loud

118792.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Out last monday evening shooting some bunnies, stuck my head over a ditch and this lad, sitting out behind some rushes makes a run for it, fired with no 5 and bagged him at about 23m. As we were sorting him out my youn fella bags the rabbit at about 80 yards frestanding and then we saw the remains of a mink we think so they all got posed together!!!, we shot about 20 rabbits but the fox was the sweetest, its my first with a shotgun and on no 5's too I was very happy!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Good man, no 5 is plenty cartridge for a young fox at a short distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Bagged these two sat night, the bottom one was 72 paces both with no 6`s.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6748/040sw.jpg

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/9532/041nn.jpg

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4169/039yx.jpg

[MOD]
    Vast pictures edited to direct links, they're approximately 2.5Mb each.
    Reduced versions in post #1397 below.
    [/MOD]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Riflehunter I re-sized you'r pictures for you, I hope you don't mind,the're very good.
    rhmedium.jpg
    rh1medium.jpg
    rh2medium.jpg

.308 3 shot Hornady TAP 155grain 100 yards.
    Ballistic Tipped out of a 20" barrel

120691.jpg

elius wrote: »
    Lads if you host them on tinypic.com . There is a resize tool attached select the size you want and off ya go very simple..

Went to sign up with them and there Not accepting registration any more,sods law eah :D

http://tinypic.com/join.php?utm_source=header&utm_medium=button&utm_campaign=join_button

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

an unexpected bag,for the day after haveing a poor start:)
    Image025.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

3 shot group at 350m with 165gr remington premier accutip .308
    350m3082.jpg

• Advertisement

What scope you using at that range Paulo?
    You ever consider higher mag?

Great groups @~382 Yards

You'd hit bunnies with them, you try any other ammo at that range?

BT's?

Advertisement