Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread -Hunting. MOD NOTE in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

What scope you using at that range Paulo?
    You ever consider higher mag?

Great groups @~382 Yards

You'd hit bunnies with them, you try any other ammo at that range?

BT's?

they are bt's i am getting same results with 150gr sp federal.
    my scope is a swift premier 3-12x56 the one i had on my .223 but i got a hawke sidewinder 30, 6-24x56 for that now:D only cost €350 in thurles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

I had often wondered where I had gotten the shooting bug from as none of my immediate family have any interest in the sport what-so-ever ,until last week I discovered that my great grandfather was the game keeper for the Hillsborough Estate, here's a few pics. The dam place must have been overrun with foxs :D:D
    GWolfe.jpg
    foxesGWolfe.jpg
    b1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

This lad thought he was safe. Little did he know that my self and gentlemanjim had spent the day shooting at long range targets on steel. A day well spent and a good time had little did I know that I would be putting our practice to good use so soon. And the results sleek for it's self. A 365yard kill. My longest to date. I'm a happy man.
    http://m751.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/poulo69/image.jpg.html?pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2UAUF%2F3ra7BGWWAYLG43vIml7p%2FscAJPVE4uugSxwmNCTldZEhDIm2AfCafVlWIXpBUhNWX1ohFNGZt8H3v8xP85LQc5dR5phTv%2FQZ%2B7yqIrI%2Bgk36ROXlOK9jFkVY9nQ8uCX%2BwOzrV4gxf5l0E%2F3yw%3D

image.jpg

The rifle is a tikka t3 light stainless belonging to gentlemanjim in.223 using hornady v-max

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭shaft666

Took this fellow at the end of November last year just above my house and can still smell him now!
    Remington 700 VSSF II 22-250
    Swarovski 6-24 x 50 PVI-2
    55grain Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips
    Taxidermist - Kurt Ecker, Killarney
    DSCF7297.jpg
    IMG_1751.jpg

Took this lad on 1st February this year on neighbours farm. Very satisfying to get this one as he's been resident on the mountain above us for at least the past 3 years taking over 20 lambs each spring. To my knowledge he'd been shot at and missed at least 3 times (thats what they own up to!) and showed every sign of it. I spent a year (whilst waiting for my gun licences to be granted) watching him and he was always there about 400 yards up, he'd give one look at the lamp then go, just turning round for a second look from 600 yards before he'd disappear. That was until February, we were stood in the middle of my neighbours field with the vixen caller going when he appeared in his usual spot about 3/4 mile from us but instead of doing his normal vanishing trick he came full belt down the mountain, we kept the lamp on him till he disappeared into a ditch that led into a deep river gully below us, I knew he'd have to cross a river to get to us but didn't know where he'd appear again so got down on the floor with the rifle ready on the bipod. Eventually he showed in the worst spot possible, only 150 yards away but directly downwind in rushes and behind sheep wire so no chance of a shot, well he obviously winded us and moved off away from us and onto the mountain opposite his home, we spent a further hour calling and lamping him and although he showed interest he was never within range. We decided to walk back to the farm for tea and try again after resting him, we just got back into the yard and gave a quick shine back and there he was making his way back towards home! After a sprint back up the lane we shone around, We'd managed to cut him off and he'd retreated back up the hill and was laid down in bracken about 500 yards away, I got comfortable on a ditch with the rifle sticking through sheep wire and started the vixen call again, he responded instantly and came flying down the hill but instead of coming straight at us he tried to make use of the wind and get below us disappearing from sight only to pop up no more than 10 feet from us! Now we had a problem as the gun was stuck through the wire facing in the wrong direction and little hope of moving it without scaring him away! My neighbour soon solved this by saying (not very quietly!) for f@*ks sake shoot it which had the obvious effect on charlie who took off at full belt towards the mountain again, fortunately I managed to pick him up quickly in the scope and started squeaking like a mad man at him, at approx 170 yards he slowed up a bit and turned his head for a look back at us which was his final act in life!
    I weighed a few big looking foxes last winter and most were around the 18lb - 19lb mark but this lad was a staggering 24lb 15oz! No doubt the neighbours lambs contributed a fair bit to that!
    Lambing was a huge success this spring with not a single lamb taken on any of my neighbours farms and thats the first time in anyones memory so happy farmers all round.

Remington 700 VSSF II 22-250
    Swarovski 6-24 x 50 PVI-2
    55grain Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips
    Taxidermist - Kurt Ecker, Killarney

DSCF7533.jpg
    IMG_1757.jpg
    Some of last winters collection!
    IMG_1024.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Out today for 20mins to try new camera mount on rifle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

The rabbit was only about 50 meters away I'd reckon. Any camera can be used. I bought this http://www.deerridgeinnovations.com/video.htm to mount it but you could make one if you were handy.

It will fit any type of camcorder, but they advise you go for a camera with internal memory like flash or SD card or DVD to avoid any data loss when the gun is fired.
    My camera was bought in the states, got it for under €500, its a HD camera although I didnt shoot this video in HD.
    Most cameras have a minimum of 35X zoom with some having 75X ZOOM so they are good for any distance as most scope only have max 10-15X zoom.
    You can get a decent camera for about €300 I reckon.
    I hope to get a few more videos when the crops are cut, I'll try to improve on this one and get the animal fully in frame this time :)

Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 16 HukleberryFinn

Here's a i fox shot the other night while out with a friend using his .17,:DDSC00802.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

some foxes
    this dog was killed near end of november, a tiny dog for that time of yr. terrier found him in a rabbit hole.

this fox was put to ground in a hole that i'd found yrs earlier but never got a strike in. a fine dog fox that wasnt short on grub.

• Advertisement

I took this one at long range this spring, noticed he had a bit of a limp through the scope but only realised why when I went to pick him up! The wound was so well healed it looked like a surgeon had removed the leg, possible animal sanctuary release? Interesting star like markings all over him too.

Photo0347.jpg

a small vixen that was taking free range ducks and chucks from a farmer friend

this lad was lamp shy. famers mate couldnt get near him with lamp/rifle. he used to follow him around the fields when was out lamping. but hounds/terrier/12gauge took care of him;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

This one is for Mallards. :rolleyes:

hunting0164bk.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img825/2457/hunting0164bk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

4 hours on the pigeons today over barley stubbles, 17 pigeons and 2 crows. Bit disappointing considering the field we set up our hide in was black with pigeons and crows when we set up. They had two much of a choice of fields around us.

Pigeonshooting080810-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

Happened on these two yesterday while scouting places for high seats..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 buck hunter

my eight month old springer, she's a little flyer... roll on september!

1z1zg3d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Saw this pair in the West over the weekend ;)

img8541k.jpg

img8557.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

kay 9 wrote: »
    Was it a deer farm outside Galway ya seen them?

If the deer farms don't have fences in Co Galway - then yes :D otherwise they seemed quite free to me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Popped out earlier for a ramble with herself. Came across this wee lad at 100 yards head shot right through the eye and exited the other. (and people say the wmr doesn't leave the kill edible :pac:

wrhlys.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

best Practice IMvHO for deer stalking Head shots is shooting Bugs at similar ranges.
    This fella was the limit of my ability on dusk conditions 21:30 this eve, I had spent most of the evening out with the shotty after pidge but to no avail.

So I decided I'd go out with Old Faithful REMINGTON :)

She is not a sako, She does not have a Swaro scope, But she does the job for little Ole me!

124173.JPG
    124174.JPG

Who says you can't use a .308 for the pot ;)

I'm out of .223 ammo lol
    And I got him just before dark
    124176.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Took the pup for a run up around the Nine Stones today.
    img2459vw.jpg

img2442i.jpg

img2449e.jpg

img2448r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

deer004.jpg

deer013.jpg

deer014.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mack_

iphone186.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Seen before lunch, out the window of the office (excuse the awful quality of the cameraphone):

125212.jpg

And seen on the way back from lunch to the office:

I am starting to rather like the new office location :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

55 pigeons shot over cut peas

RKandSG-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Ready for the season anyway!

th_Image000.jpg?t=1283109275

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

a few pics from yesterday,

• Advertisement

DR6.5 wrote: »
    a few pics from yesterday,

Are they in Wicklow?
    If so, any Pure Reds left in Wicklow?

Advertisement